Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 66

Thread: 2k19: San Francisco Giants - why are they even playing

  1. #1
    Journeyman
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    3,784

    2k19: San Francisco Giants - why are they even playing

    I don't know if he'll ever get enough playing time to be relevant, but Alen Hanson (who was a decent prospect for a while) hit .403/.479/.661 with 3 HR/6 SB in 18 minor league games, got called up today and hit a home run in his first game. He's nominally only up while Panik is hurt, but I wouldn't be surprised if they send Tomlinson down when Panik comes back, and maybe they'll trade Panik or Crawford someday.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

  2. #2
    this team is fertile ground in deep NL-only, especially for OF
    I have Pence and Williamson and now Hanson, after getting beat out for Slater
    Hanson is a 2B-OF, btw, and Duggar is a prospect who is close

    if Giants tank, will McCutchen, Span or Pence even still be around by the All-Star break?
    36th yr in same 12-team NL 5x5
    awful keeper list but August rampage somehow has me expecting to finish 3rd
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

    SP Scherzer 44, Keuchel LD, CSmith 1, Marquez, Samardzija 1, Leake, AWood
    RP Stanek 8, Strickland 1
    C Realmuto 13, C Posey 12, 1B Votto 27, 3B TFrazier 2, 13 Belt 10, 2B KMarte LD, SS DeJong LD, 2S BCrawford 9
    OF Harper LD, Eaton LD, CDickerson 17, Dyson 8, Cooper, UT Beaty
    IL: SP Cueto 1, SP Mahle, OF Bruce LD
    minors: OF RDavis

  3. #3
    All Star Hornsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Heart of Darkness
    Posts
    9,676
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Jude View Post
    this team is fertile ground in deep NL-only, especially for OF
    I have Pence and Williamson and now Hanson, after getting beat out for Slater
    Hanson is a 2B-OF, btw, and Duggar is a prospect who is close

    if Giants tank, will McCutchen, Span or Pence even still be around by the All-Star break?
    Span was moved in the off-season, so he certainly won't be around at the AS break.

    I don't think that Hanson is going to amount to much, if he couldn't stay with the totally rebuilding Sox last season, I really don't hold out a lot of hope for him. But if he get's off to a hot start, there's really nothing standing in his way for PT at this point. Worth a cheap flyer, not much more.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

    "Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

  4. #4
    heh, the Giants wish they had a less-fungible Span. it's Austin Jackson who has one foot out the door.

    and yes, this all is NL-only at this point. maybe Mac in a deep mixed with many reserves
    36th yr in same 12-team NL 5x5
    awful keeper list but August rampage somehow has me expecting to finish 3rd
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

    SP Scherzer 44, Keuchel LD, CSmith 1, Marquez, Samardzija 1, Leake, AWood
    RP Stanek 8, Strickland 1
    C Realmuto 13, C Posey 12, 1B Votto 27, 3B TFrazier 2, 13 Belt 10, 2B KMarte LD, SS DeJong LD, 2S BCrawford 9
    OF Harper LD, Eaton LD, CDickerson 17, Dyson 8, Cooper, UT Beaty
    IL: SP Cueto 1, SP Mahle, OF Bruce LD
    minors: OF RDavis

  5. #5
    Journeyman madducks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Down the river ..................from PNC Park
    Posts
    4,533
    Their new pitching prospect looked pretty good in his big league debut on Saturday.


  6. #6
    Hall of Famer B-Fly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montclair, NJ
    Posts
    47,557
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornsby View Post
    Span was moved in the off-season, so he certainly won't be around at the AS break.

    I don't think that Hanson is going to amount to much, if he couldn't stay with the totally rebuilding Sox last season, I really don't hold out a lot of hope for him. But if he get's off to a hot start, there's really nothing standing in his way for PT at this point. Worth a cheap flyer, not much more.
    So he's gotten off to a pretty hot start, no? Who now thinks they'll continue to play him regularly between 2B and OF even after Panik returns from the DL? I'm currently stuck with Asuaje at 2B in my NL-only league, and desperately need speed, so I know I want Hanson, but don't know how much FAAB to blow.

  7. #7
    I'd take Hanson over Asuaje, for sure
    36th yr in same 12-team NL 5x5
    awful keeper list but August rampage somehow has me expecting to finish 3rd
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

    SP Scherzer 44, Keuchel LD, CSmith 1, Marquez, Samardzija 1, Leake, AWood
    RP Stanek 8, Strickland 1
    C Realmuto 13, C Posey 12, 1B Votto 27, 3B TFrazier 2, 13 Belt 10, 2B KMarte LD, SS DeJong LD, 2S BCrawford 9
    OF Harper LD, Eaton LD, CDickerson 17, Dyson 8, Cooper, UT Beaty
    IL: SP Cueto 1, SP Mahle, OF Bruce LD
    minors: OF RDavis

  8. #8
    Big Leaguer Hammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    at the right hand of the Father
    Posts
    3,999
    Cueto gone for 6 weeks
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

  9. #9
    All Star Hornsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Heart of Darkness
    Posts
    9,676
    Quote Originally Posted by B-Fly View Post
    So he's gotten off to a pretty hot start, no? Who now thinks they'll continue to play him regularly between 2B and OF even after Panik returns from the DL? I'm currently stuck with Asuaje at 2B in my NL-only league, and desperately need speed, so I know I want Hanson, but don't know how much FAAB to blow.
    He's certainly worth a shot, but like I said in another thread, he seems to have almost no baseball sense. But he's got marketable skills, and the Giants really have nobody else to put there, so take the shot...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

    "Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

  10. #10
    All Star The Dane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Bay Area, California
    Posts
    8,044
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornsby View Post
    He's certainly worth a shot, but like I said in another thread, he seems to have almost no baseball sense. But he's got marketable skills, and the Giants really have nobody else to put there, so take the shot...
    I've heard this idea echoed elsewhere. Hanson is a great athlete and a nice person, but he's "difficult to coach." I always took this to be a nice way of saying he's not very bright, but I'm totally just guessing here, maybe reading something between the lines that isn't there.

    Bochy and crew might be the right kind of managers to get the best out of him, because we know the Hall of Fame is littered with tons of functional morons with great talent.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •