2018 Midterm Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
    That would be great. Trump could decline to run and Cruz could beat Beto again.

J
    Based on the results in TX, Cruz would not succeed against Beto on a national level.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
      Based on the results in TX, Cruz would not succeed against Beto on a national level.
      Agree. But Cruz won't even make it through the GOP primary should Trump not run.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• I like Beto as a solid D candidate. But he needed to pull the win in Tx. How can he dominate on a national stage, when he lost to someone who is widely disliked by his own party in Cruz. That said, here is a prediction. Trump wont run in 2020, he will walk away claiming he did all he wanted to do and try to play it off like a victory into sunset. Is there a window to wager, as I would bet any amount this will play out with a vacuum in both R and D, there is no strong uniting figure at the moment.

Comment

• Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
          I like Beto as a solid D candidate. But he needed to pull the win in Tx. How can he dominate on a national stage, when he lost to someone who is widely disliked by his own party in Cruz. That said, here is a prediction. Trump wont run in 2020, he will walk away claiming he did all he wanted to do and try to play it off like a victory into sunset. Is there a window to wager, as I would bet any amount this will play out with a vacuum in both R and D, there is no strong uniting figure at the moment.
          It's worse than that because while Cruz is disliked, he's respected. Beto does not command respect.

As to your prediction of how it will play out, I have been saying so since before the 2016 election. This was always about proving a point.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
            It's worse than that because while Cruz is disliked, he's respected. Beto does not command respect.

As to your prediction of how it will play out, I have been saying so since before the 2016 election. This was always about proving a point.

J
            I think it was more about getting back at Obama for the belittling jokes at the Correspondents dinner. Trump figures he would enter the race, get some air time to take a few shots at Obama and drop out. Sort of backfired on him and the rest of us. I often wonder how different things would be if those jokes that night were directed at someone else.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
              I think it was more about getting back at Obama for the belittling jokes at the Correspondents dinner. Trump figures he would enter the race, get some air time to take a few shots at Obama and drop out. Sort of backfired on him and the rest of us. I often wonder how different things would be if those jokes that night were directed at someone else.
              Yeah, and what if Hitler was a successful artist. I kid, I kid.

Honestly, I'm surprised by the sudden spike in folks suggesting Trump would choose not to run again in 2020. He seems to enjoy his new job. Now, whether he will be allowed to run, or whether he'd get primaried, are different matters. But if it is up to him, and the GOP doesn't mount a challenge to him, I'd be shocked if he didn't give it a go again in 2020.

Comment

• He seems to enjoy his new job
                Strongly dispute this. trump constantly posting about investigation. and up till now he had a completely complicit majority congress making sure nothing came of his misplays. the nunez led house "investigation" was a sad display. i am sure trump had hoped people would just believe him, and do what he says, and doesnt get why he cant just order a hit, err, investigation on hrc, or appoint a stooge whitaker to sit on mueller findings without backlash. and where is his big, beautiful wall, he will cause a govt shutdown over it, so when the medieval style invaders come he can repel them with wall mounted cauldrons of boiling oil and trebuchet launching diseased dead cattle. as of 1/1/19 trump will have a reason to feel stressed, things will not be all sunshine and rainbows in 3 weeks.

honest question, where can we lay a wager? i have zero doubt, trump will not run in 2020, and I am sure he will not have pleasant days ahead.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                  It would go back further. Trump came close to running in 2012 and pot shots never stopped thereafter.

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  Yeah, and what if Hitler was a successful artist. I kid, I kid.

Honestly, I'm surprised by the sudden spike in folks suggesting Trump would choose not to run again in 2020. He seems to enjoy his new job. Now, whether he will be allowed to run, or whether he'd get primaried, are different matters. But if it is up to him, and the GOP doesn't mount a challenge to him, I'd be shocked if he didn't give it a go again in 2020.
                  Funny you should mention art. There is a BBC series that authenticates art. They did a show on a Churchill town scene that could be worth 200,000 pounds, that about $250,000. It's sort of moot because they could not prove the provenance.

J
                  Last edited by onejayhawk; 12-07-2018, 11:21 AM.
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Valado concedes to Cox in CA-21 and that race has flipped from called for Valado on election night to officially being pickup #40 for the Dems.

NC-9 remains the only race in doubt now and I imagine we will be waiting a while to call it. Charlotte Observer called for a new election today...

McReady withdrew his concession today and said this...

“I call on Mark Harris to tell us exactly what he knew and when he knew it,“

CNN's Jim Sciutto reports this...

Breaking: Executive Director of NC Republicans says he’s open to new election in NC-9 Congressional race. Dallas Woodhouse told CNN’s Drew Griffin he was so upset after watching CNN’s coverage of alleged fraud last night, he threw up, “this has shaken us to the core.”

While Woodhouse says he is open to a new election the Politico article here gives a more clear vision of what he thinks...

"To sum it up, we think the Board of Elections should hold a public hearing and fully lay out the facts," Dallas Woodhouse, the executive director of the North Carolina Republican Party, said in a statement to POLITICO. "If they can show a substantial likelihood it could have changed the race, then we fully would support a new election."

Woodhouse also said in the statement that if the state board "can show with certainty that the outcome could NOT have been changed," Harris' victory should be certified while investigations continued. He also signaled that the party would not oppose a "short delay on the question of certification" if the investigation was inconclusive.

Tough to be sure where we are going. I hope everyone is ok with saying the NC election law was broken and we have election fraud here and we can be almost certain McCrae Dowless organized it (these people weren't going door to door on their own to collect these ballots).

So some fun questions I'd be curious to hear views on...

Let's say for the sake of argument Harris didn't know or they can't prove he knew, should there be a new election?

Let's say they prove Harris knew, regardless of if the total impacted vote can be proven to have swung the election should there be a new election?

Comment

• well, there's enough evidence out there now to confirm it is a mess.

I'd be fine with a new election, and prosecution of this clown
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• And Martha McSally gets selected to serve as the Jr Senator yesterday to fill the remainder of McCain's term. She will have to run again in 2020, but as an incumbent.
                        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                        Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Working...
                        X