2018 Midterm Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Is EVERY Republican against the issues I named?
    Ryan isn't every issue either. Few, if any, Republicans are, but they are often portrayed that way by their opponents.

J
    Last edited by onejayhawk; 04-17-2018, 01:57 AM.
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      Ryan isn't either.

J
      Either what?
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

So is anyone actually rooting for Blankenship to win the West Virginia primary today, either because you think he's the best candidate or because you think he helps the Democrats hold the seat in November?

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
          So is anyone actually rooting for Blankenship to win the West Virginia primary today, either because you think he's the best candidate or because you think he helps the Democrats hold the seat in November?
          I'm not enough of a strategist, I suppose, to root for Blankenship. I'm of the simple-minded belief that I want the best candidate for the position to win the primary, regardless of the long term impact that might have on the larger political game between the parties.

The man had a hand in the deaths of many of his employees, and served prison time over it. He has a history of not caring about those he employs. It is unfathomable to me that he is getting support. You posted in another thread that Dems need to quickly and forcefully move away from lamenting the loss of politicians who do wrong (in that case, sexual or physical assault). I agree 100%. I wish both sides felt that way. Right and wrong needs to win out over tribe and party. The idea that Blakenship is getting significant support, because some voters agree with some of his ideas, while they ignore who he is as a person, what he has done, saddens me. It is the same frustration I feel about Trump and his supporters. I'm hopeful that Republican voters will stop supporting candidates like him, even if that means the candidates they do support will win more often in general elections.
          Last edited by Sour Masher; 05-08-2018, 09:54 AM.

Comment

To be honest, the darkest part of me is...but I don't know bupkis about the people of West Virginia and what they really need. But I do know what Blankenship is NOT a good guy, so he's certainly not what the people of WV should have representing them.

I get the whole Alabama comps, but if Manchin is worth a damn as a Senator, he should win regardless of the opposition candidate.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              To be honest, the darkest part of me is...but I don't know bupkis about the people of West Virginia and what they really need. But I do know what Blankenship is NOT a good guy, so he's certainly not what the people of WV should have representing them.

I get the whole Alabama comps, but if Manchin is worth a damn as a Senator, he should win regardless of the opposition candidate.
              I'm with you. I recognize that a dark part of me is rooting for him, while also recognizing that I should not indulge that dark part of me and should hope that WV voters reject Blankenship, and that Manchin can and should stand on his own merits.

Comment

I hope Manchin wins, but I can’t imagine hoping Blankenship would get the nomination so as to create an easier path for him. What if something unforeseen were to happen and then Blankenship pulled off the win? If Manchin isn’t re-elected, it is certainly better for everyone (but especially residents of WV) to have A Republican who isn’t a convicted criminal, than one who is.

Comment

LOL. I've seen similar thinking and comments in the left-tilted blogs and sites I read. As my favorite libertarian blogger says "This is how you get more Trump".
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

this guy makes 2016 <strike>Trump</strike> Clinton look like a decent candidate.
                    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Blankenship finishes 3rd—good news.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                        LOL. I've seen similar thinking and comments in the left-tilted blogs and sites I read. As my favorite libertarian blogger says "This is how you get more Trump".
                        Very true. It’s funny how this usually backfires (it’s really not)!
                        I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

I love Nancy Pelosi. When asked whether she will raise taxes if democrats take the house:

"That's accurate."

"The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                            I love Nancy Pelosi. When asked whether she will raise taxes if democrats take the house:

"That's accurate."

Wait. Didn’t the President make a promise and had Congressional approval? Too soon? Wrong thread. Sorry.
                            I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                              Wait. Didn’t the President make a promise and had Congressional approval? Too soon? Wrong thread. Sorry.
                              Yes, and yes, but I'll answer . Overturning domestic agendas and abiding by international agreements are entirely separate matters for me.

Comment

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/09/polit...ows/index.html

I seriously do not understand why the change. anyone? did I miss something?

"The generic congressional ballot has continued to tighten, according to a new CNN poll conducted by SSRS, with the Democrats' edge over Republicans within the poll's margin of sampling error for the first time this cycle.
                                About six months out from Election Day, 47% of registered voters say they back the Democratic candidate in their district, 44% back the Republican. Voters also are divided almost evenly over whether the country would be better off with the Democrats in control of Congress (31%) or with the GOP in charge (30%).

The Democrats' advantage in the generic ballot dipped from 16 points in February to six points in March to just three points now. The party's advantage has waned among enthusiastic voters as Republican enthusiasm has grown"

there is still good news on the left:

"the Democrats still have a double-digit lead among those most excited to vote this fall (53% of those who are very enthusiastic about voting say they'd back the Democrat in their district vs. 41% who say they favor the GOP candidate)."

"By 48% to 43%, registered voters say they would rather back a candidate who opposes Donald Trump than one who supports the President. (That margin has narrowed from the 52% who opposed Trump to the 41% who supported him in January.)"
                                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                                X