McMahon just a service time game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• McMahon just a service time game?

I believe Ryan McMahon will start in AAA. Is that just a service time game? Will he be up in a month or so? Or are the Rox planning on Desmond playing 1B indefinitely? Just trying to gauge if McMahon is a worthwhile pickup for teams looking to contend this year.

He and Dahl are an injury away from getting the call. McMahon should be first as I think they want to give Dahl a longer period of full playing time and McMahon also offers more versatility for the big club.

Comment

Agree with harmon. You might want to look up a couple of senorsheep's posts in an earlier thread on this topic; he delivered a lot of quality detail
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Rockies are loaded. And they’ll have McMahon, Dahl & Tapia at AAA, so your guess is as good as mine as to who they will recall in a tim of need. No way would I “bank” on him being up in a month.

Comment

I doubt it is a service time issue or he would not have been up last August.

Comment

I guess he wasn't an injury away. He's just made the opening day roster!

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
              I guess he wasn't an injury away. He's just made the opening day roster!
              That’s what I read too. Assuming that’s the case, is he suddenly a $20 guy for NL leagues? $15?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                That’s what I read too. Assuming that’s the case, is he suddenly a $20 guy for NL leagues? $15?
                On the roster but not starting. I'd have a hard time going that high for someone without guaranteed ABs.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  On the roster but not starting. I'd have a hard time going that high for someone without guaranteed ABs.
                  Yeah he needs CarGo to really flail out of the gate.

Comment

I know that Nick Groke of the Denver Post is claiming that Desmond is still the primary 1Bman as of last night Link, though I have to imagine that Bud Black would find some ways to get McMahon a few starts a week. A three way, two position platoon at 1B and LF between McMahon, Desmond, and Parra at least seems possible if Desmond is willing to keep bouncing around the field. Some occasional off days for LeMahieu at 2B might be another way to get McMahon some playing time if he is capable enough there.

Comment

If they want to get him time, they can get him plenty of it. With Desmond's ability to play all three OF slots and 1B, 2B, and SS; it is like seven for six positions, assuming Parra is not regularly starting, which I would presume.

Comment

Originally posted by Davros View Post
                        I know that Nick Groke of the Denver Post is claiming that Desmond is still the primary 1Bman as of last night Link, though I have to imagine that Bud Black would find some ways to get McMahon a few starts a week. A three way, two position platoon at 1B and LF between McMahon, Desmond, and Parra at least seems possible if Desmond is willing to keep bouncing around the field. Some occasional off days for LeMahieu at 2B might be another way to get McMahon some playing time if he is capable enough there.
                        Yeah, these last handful of ST games show that Desmond is still the primary 1B and McMahon will be a part-timer for now. This seems like Kingery-lite since not only can McMahon play 1B/3B/2B but Desmond can play almost anywhere so it's a 4-way split between McMahon/Desmond/Parra/Cargo between 3 spots but the flexibility to give pretty much any position a rest by moving these guys around meaning that they will all have a decent amount of value.

Comment

This is my problem. The team is not treating him like a future starter. They are treating him like a utility man.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I just don't think Parra is all that good. But I don't manage the Rockies. I think the Rockies are more likely to squeeze him than the guy they paid $80mil in Desmond.

I have seen suggestions in the past that playing everyday in Coors is tough on your body. Maybe the Rockies are finally embracing that idea and planning to give everyone a day off or two every week. Except Arenado and Blackmon, anyway, they're so good and durable that it would be dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                              I just don't think Parra is all that good. But I don't manage the Rockies. I think the Rockies are more likely to squeeze him than the guy they paid $80mil in Desmond.

I have seen suggestions in the past that playing everyday in Coors is tough on your body. Maybe the Rockies are finally embracing that idea and planning to give everyone a day off or two every week. Except Arenado and Blackmon, anyway, they're so good and durable that it would be dumb.
                              Parra's 3 year deal expires after this year, although the Rockies have a 12 million dollar option that they'll almost surely refuse to pick up. So next year, the Rockies could be without Cargo, Blackmon, and Parra...finally a spot for Dahl?
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                              X