No announcement yet.

2k24: St. Louis Cardinals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cards GM publicly miffed at Martinez's offseason training regimen. I don't like how this one is playing out.

Comment

So how do your rank the starters who would get that fifth rotation spot if Martinez is out or in the pen? Reyes, Poncedeleon, Gant, Hudson, Gomber...anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
        So how do your rank the starters who would get that fifth rotation spot if Martinez is out or in the pen? Reyes, Poncedeleon, Gant, Hudson, Gomber...anyone else?
        Dakota Hudson is prolly in the mix as well. Wide open.
        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Simon View Post
          Waino? Or did you have him in the first 4? I think this helps Reyes' chance of being in the rotation, but what would help it more would be some of those other guys looking nasty in shorter outings.

Fangraphs depth charts right now ha (these are just their projected innings as SPs)

Mikolas 204ip
          Flaherty 168ip
          Wacha 130ip
          Waino 122ip
          C-Mart 113ip
          Reyes 110ip
          ----
          Gant 38ip (as a starter, more in the bullpen)
          Gomber 27ip
          Poncedeleon 18ip
          Hudson 19ip

Gant threw 93.8 last year, threw 55% FA, 28% CH and 14% CU, so at least in theory he has 3 pitches.
          Gomber threw 92.5 last year, threw 50% FA, 8% CH, 19% SL, and 22% CU, so he theoretically has 4.
          Poncedeleon threw 93.4 last year, threw 61% FB, 19% CT, 17% CH and 3% CU. So he seems like a good RP candidate. And based on the little I saw him last year, he does seem like a guy whose stuff should play up in 1 inning stints. But maybe he would be OK as a starter.

Hudson threw 96 last year, threw 61% FB, 11% SL and 29% CT, so he seems like a great RP candidate.

I'm not convinced that a team trying to win should really give Waino 120 innings as a starter, but if they feel the need to keep jerking Reyes around and C-Mart is hurt, they may not have a choice.

Comment

Uh oh, C-Mart is already getting the dreaded "second opinion" on his shoulder......

And now it's being reported that he's been spotted with his arm in a sling.....

Carlos Martinez (shoulder) has been shut down for two more weeks after receiving a platelet rich plasma injection.
            That explains why Martinez had his arm in a sling upon returning to Cardinals' camp on Tuesday. Cardinals manager Mike Shildt said the findings with the second opinion were similar to the first, so there doesn't appear to be any structural damage. The Cardinals will see where he stands after the shutdown before coming up with a plan, including a possible role for the 2019 season. Obviously Opening Day is in question at this point.

SOURCE: Brenden Schaeffer on Twitter

Comment

I'm tossing out Martinez for $1 and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                Careful...you might get crickets.

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                  Careful...you might get crickets.
                  Depending on format that's not the worst

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                    $2...going once......
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Cards lock up Goldschmidt for 5 yrs, $110m.

I'm sorry, but the Diamondbacks couldn't pony that up? Too bad Zach Grienke ($34m) and Yasmany Tomas ($17m) are clogging everything up!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                        Too bad Zach Grienke ($34m) and Yasmany Tomas ($17m) are clogging everything up!
                        One of these things is not like the other.

Comment

Cards lock up Goldschmidt for 5 yrs, $110m.

I'm sorry, but the Diamondbacks couldn't pony that up? Too bad Zach Grienke ($34m) and Yasmany Tomas ($17m) are clogging everything up!
                          It's 5 years/$130M.

Comment

Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
                            It's 5 years/$130M.
                            Yep, Ken Rosenthal had it as "at least $110m".

Comment

Matt Carpenter bunted for a double yesterday against the shift.

Comment

Matt Carpenter bunted for a double yesterday against the shift.
                                Why can't more players do this? They can't all bunt as bad as Scherzer.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X