Draft/Auction Software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Geez. I just cross out names with a pencil and paper.
    I understand that there are multiple schools of thought, and I'm sure this was mostly posted in jest, but minimizing the utility in the tools that we use or have created is not really topical.

When a player gets sold in an auction I type in their name and the price in the column under their team. My software (and other's software) then automatically updates the amount of $ that team has left and that flows through to give an update on the current inflation factor which is critical in valuation in keeper leagues. At the same time that person is removed from all position lists that they qualify at and all categorical rankings, so I can glance over and see that there are now just 2 guys left with 30 HR power after which there is a dropoff down to 22 and if I need that big power bat I better get one of those 2. And the overall categorical numbers for all taken players/teams are updated to include that player's stats so I can get a feel for where I'm at in the big picture relative to my opponents.

I do understand that the pencil and paper method is more traditional and has a certain elegance and simplicity to it, but I prefer to have all the information that I can use all staring at me so that all my decisions are based on the best information possible.

More power to you if you can do that all in your head!

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      I understand that there are multiple schools of thought, and I'm sure this was mostly posted in jest, but minimizing the utility in the tools that we use or have created is not really topical.

When a player gets sold in an auction I type in their name and the price in the column under their team. My software (and other's software) then automatically updates the amount of $ that team has left and that flows through to give an update on the current inflation factor which is critical in valuation in keeper leagues. At the same time that person is removed from all position lists that they qualify at and all categorical rankings, so I can glance over and see that there are now just 2 guys left with 30 HR power after which there is a dropoff down to 22 and if I need that big power bat I better get one of those 2. And the overall categorical numbers for all taken players/teams are updated to include that player's stats so I can get a feel for where I'm at in the big picture relative to my opponents.

I do understand that the pencil and paper method is more traditional and has a certain elegance and simplicity to it, but I prefer to have all the information that I can use all staring at me so that all my decisions are based on the best information possible.

More power to you if you can do that all in your head!
      Oh I'm not minimizing anything. My league has each team on a poster board on the walls (thanks madducks!) that gets filled in as the auction progresses. This allows everyone to see how each team is filling out their roster, how much money each team has left, etc. Now if we didn't make it easy for everyone to keep track of every other team, then it would be much more difficult to rely on pencil and paper.

I guess I use pencil and paper with one fantasy guide because it's the easiest way to do it!
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

and like I said, I do too, and in one of my leagues it's _very_ clear that it hurts me because it's online but not on a site, and i don't usually have access to the place where the rosters are being updated and i've often been surprised by how much money i have left over and who needs what slots. also i don't do so well in that league. maybe i should do something about that.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          Geez. I just cross out names with a pencil and paper.
          God your backwards. I use a pen.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
            Writing on your hand?
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              Writing on your hand?
              Absolutely.

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
                His backwards what?

Comment

FWIW, I converted to Rotolab a few years ago after going with my own lists and the old RotoJunkie excel spreadsheet for years. Mostly because half the league used it, so I could know what everyone else was seeing. It does lead to some herding among the league, but enough people use other sources that things stay fluid. It definitely helps make the draft more fun because it is so much easier to keep track of everything. The key to using it is not to think that the values see are right, but to decide who you think is worth more than the prices listed and who is worth less and bid accordingly. Then again, that is true with any source of information. One owner in our league had a nice run for a few years without a huge keeper list because she had a long commute and listened to Sirius/XM fantasy channel and nobody else did---so she was zigging while everyone else was zagging. Then last offseason I got a car with Sirius/XM and the two of us bid any possible profit out of, for example, Paxton, who they were huge on there.

Bottom line: it makes the dynamics different, but not in a bad way. And the convenience is so great that it outweighs any possible negative.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    Well that would be extremely annoying. Hopefully just unsupported.
                    Ugh. It looks like http://developer.cbssports.com/documentation/tutorial points you to http://developer.cbssports.com to get an access token and that page doesn't allow new signups. It looks like ESPN has also gotten rid of their API. I think Yahoo has one, but... enh.
                    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

On the other hand, http://api.cbssports.com/fantasy/lea...ken=(redacted) returns:

Code:
                      {"body":{"league_details":{"scoring_periods":"27","regular_season_periods":"27","max_keepers":"25","keeper_deadline":"20180317","season_status":"preseason","name":"Rotojunkie Experts' League","draft_type":"auction","draft_state":"awaitingstart","uses_keepers":1,"num_teams":18,"type":"mgmt","keeper_policy":"owners_set"}},"uriAlias":"/league/details","statusMessage":"OK","uri":"/league/details","statusCode":200}
                      so, you know, fuck them and their security.

if you want to test it yourself, go to your league page, open up developer tools, search for "cbsi.token", and replace (redacted) in my URL with that value.

The problem is that I don't see how to do this for someone else. It's possible that if you already had the draft page open when you started the software, we could parse the draft page HTML and find your personal token, but I don't know how to do that offhand. I bet it's possible though. It looks like you have a unique one per user-and-league combination.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                        On the other hand, http://api.cbssports.com/fantasy/lea...ken=(redacted) returns:

Code:
                        {"body":{"league_details":{"scoring_periods":"27","regular_season_periods":"27","max_keepers":"25","keeper_deadline":"20180317","season_status":"preseason","name":"Rotojunkie Experts' League","draft_type":"auction","draft_state":"awaitingstart","uses_keepers":1,"num_teams":18,"type":"mgmt","keeper_policy":"owners_set"}},"uriAlias":"/league/details","statusMessage":"OK","uri":"/league/details","statusCode":200}
                        so, you know, fuck them and their security.

if you want to test it yourself, go to your league page, open up developer tools, search for "cbsi.token", and replace (redacted) in my URL with that value.

The problem is that I don't see how to do this for someone else. It's possible that if you already had the draft page open when you started the software, we could parse the draft page HTML and find your personal token, but I don't know how to do that offhand. I bet it's possible though. It looks like you have a unique one per user-and-league combination.
                        Couldn’t you make an Ajax request to the page that lists their teams, pull it back and load the urls into an overlay. Then parse out the league url from those objects and make a request directly to the league info page and parse the returned html based on the league they select?

CBS leagues have the league specific information in the root domain, I.e. fantasyleaguexyz.cbssports.com. If the user is logged in you may be able to make the request for them simply replacing the league name

Comment

See http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...ll-nerd-thread

Comment

I don’t speak your language. But FBG’s Draft Dominator app allows you to integrate your leagues into their site and app, including CBS.

Comment

Working...
                            X