X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
    I don't see how this Greg Holland experiment lasts long

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.p...ate=03/25/2019
    Either do I but Holland has Lovullo in his corner. Even if Holland gets off to a rough start Lovullo might ride him for a good while. 2017 when Rodney was the closer he was beyond terrible for the first month and then turn his season around. Granted Rodney still had a 95 plus fastball so Holland will have to do an impersonation of FRod 2016 when he pitched for the Tigers.

Comment

• Was hoping Hirano would be the guy. Still possible but seems like a dwindling possibility.

Comment

• I wonder what Lovullo's motivation is. Do you think he honestly feels this gives them the best chance to win or is he hoping to quickly prop up Holland's value and flip him to another team?

Comment

• Originally posted by TS Garp View Post
          I wonder what Lovullo's motivation is. Do you think he honestly feels this gives them the best chance to win or is he hoping to quickly prop up Holland's value and flip him to another team?
          It has to be the latter because if this team is going to contend then Holland is a poor choice. I know it is still ST and for many veteran pitchers they don't show their best stuff in those games so his decision is based on Holland's past as a closer. Outside of Bradley and Hirano the rest of the bullpen to put it nicely is a work in progress. The D'back fans might see Hirano and Bradley protecting the lead in the 7 and 8 innings and then becoming very nervous watching Holland in the 9th.

Comment

• My NL-only 5x5 redraft league is drafting on Sunday night and has decided to allow free agents to be nominated and bid at auction, at risk of losing them if they sign in the AL. With that risk, how high would you be willing to go on Kimbrel? It seems like MIL and ATL are the likeliest destinations for him, with WAS and CHC as possible fallbacks, all in the NL. (If he were already in place as the Brewers or Braves closer, he'd probably go for around $25 given prior year costs for proven closers.)

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
              My NL-only 5x5 redraft league is drafting on Sunday night and has decided to allow free agents to be nominated and bid at auction, at risk of losing them if they sign in the AL. With that risk, how high would you be willing to go on Kimbrel? It seems like MIL and ATL are the likeliest destinations for him, with WAS and CHC as possible fallbacks, all in the NL. (If he were already in place as the Brewers or Braves closer, he'd probably go for around $25 given prior year costs for proven closers.)
              Even if he signs, at this point he should miss most if not all of April...I wouldnt go more than 10. Of course, I bet he goes for more.

Comment

• Does it take relievers a month to get ready? They don't have to get stretched out like starters.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  Does it take relievers a month to get ready? They don't have to get stretched out like starters.
                  I hope not, since Greg Holland threw 3.2 innings in the spring. Now, granted, that was about 50 batters....

I'd be OK going to the mid teens on Kimbrel in B-Fly's situation. Other than BOS and maybe MIN, neither of whom seems at all interested, almost all the suitors are NL teams. I would almost put "sits out until June" above "signs with an AL team in the next 10 days" right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    Does it take relievers a month to get ready? They don't have to get stretched out like starters.
                    Ask Greg Holland.
                    ....Yes I already hear you saying Holland sucks anyway.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                      Ask Greg Holland.
                      ....Yes I already hear you saying Holland sucks anyway.
                      Holland was the same pitcher in STL that he was in Aug/Sept for COL in 2017. Everyone looks at 2017 and sees good numbers and glosses over the fact that his 1st half was great and his 2nd half was terrible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                        Even if he signs, at this point he should miss most if not all of April...I wouldnt go more than 10. Of course, I bet he goes for more.
                        In terms of ranking, I assume the risk places him below Diaz, Jansen, Yates and Vazquez...maybe in the Davis/Iglesias/Robertson "tier"? I like Doolittle, too, but it seems like WAS would be happy to use him as a setup man for a veteran closer (Kimbrel or otherwise). It sounds like Counsell is loathe to just make Hader the closer even if Kimbrel signs elsewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                          In terms of ranking, I assume the risk places him below Diaz, Jansen, Yates and Vazquez...maybe in the Davis/Iglesias/Robertson "tier"? I like Doolittle, too, but it seems like WAS would be happy to use him as a setup man for a veteran closer (Kimbrel or otherwise). It sounds like Counsell is loathe to just make Hader the closer even if Kimbrel signs elsewhere.
                          I think you have Kimbrel ranked correctly. I would go $15 and hope for 4-5 months of stats.

I suspect that Counsell is under orders from the front office to not let Hader get more than X amount of saves to keep down his future arbitration cost.
                          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• And the Twins' opening day save goes to.... Taylor Rogers.

And the Red Sox opening day save goes to... nobody, because they got smoked by the unstoppable Mariners.

Comment

• Oh, and Hader got a 2 inning save for the Brewers.

And the Reds tried to get Iglesias a 2-inning save but it didn't go well and David Hernandez ended up closing things out.

Comment

• Yates was fantastic.

Comment

Working...
                                X