No announcement yet.

2K19: Closer and Bullpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honestly, this has to be the worst crop of closers to enter a season in years, maybe decades. Just so much uncertainty with virtually all of them besides the top 2 or 3.

Comment

• I think the trend is going that way. Closers, except the elite ones, are fungible, so no job is safe.

Comment

• Sergio Romo signs for 1 year, $2.5 million with the Marlins. So, it will be Romo vs. Steckenrider for the closer job during spring training. Romo would seem to be the favorite.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• I have been pre-ranking for a 20 team auto-draft league. My strategy is to do all the hitters except C and only SP for the first 200 slots. Since the league is (Sv + Hold) rather than Sv and Hold, closers are sharply devalued. OTOH I was able to get Ottavino off WW in preseason last year.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
            Sergio Romo signs for 1 year, $2.5 million with the Marlins. So, it will be Romo vs. Steckenrider for the closer job during spring training. Romo would seem to be the favorite.
            Will Romo pitch the 9th -or the 1st?
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              Will Romo pitch the 9th -or the 1st?
              Yes...

Comment

• I don't recall the Marlin's using an opener and wouldn't expect them to do it this year.

Comment

• Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
                  I don't recall the Marlin's using an opener and wouldn't expect them to do it this year.
                  JUPITER, Fla. - Marlins manager Don Mattingly is keeping an open mind heading into spring training.

As pitchers and catchers reported to Jupiter on Wednesday, Mattingly said he's open to the idea of using an "opener."

The Rays would start the game with a member of the bullpen and fill out the rest of the game using the whole staff.

This was to compensate for the Rays' lack of established starting pitchers.

"There hasn't been a ton of talk about using an opener-type situation," Mattingly said. "But, obviously, we've seen what Tampa was able to do last year. Oakland followed it up a bit. It worked."

Comment

• This is the Marlins. Romo will close until the trade deadline; anything else would be stupid. They want him more marketable and Steckenrider cheaper. They might use openers, but most of their staff is interchangeable garbage, so how do you notice if they guy who pitched one inning and gave up four runs was an opener or just a shitty starter?

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                      This is the Marlins. Romo will close until the trade deadline; anything else would be stupid. They want him more marketable and Steckenrider cheaper. They might use openers, but most of their staff is interchangeable garbage, so how do you notice if they guy who pitched one inning and gave up four runs was an opener or just a shitty starter?
                      I agree Romo is more marketable if he does well, but Steckenrider is also on a one-year deal with no bonuses for saves as far as I can tell. I wonder if they will try to build up his value with saves since Romo already has his reputation regardless. Just a thought

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                        I agree Romo is more marketable if he does well, but Steckenrider is also on a one-year deal with no bonuses for saves as far as I can tell. I wonder if they will try to build up his value with saves since Romo already has his reputation regardless. Just a thought
                        Saves jack up arbitration salaries. He's got years of team control left.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                          Saves jack up arbitration salaries. He's got years of team control left.
                          From what I see he wouldnt be arb eligible until after next season when he will be 30 years old. So they are grooming him for 3 years from now? Maybe I guess

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                            From what I see he wouldnt be arb eligible until after next season when he will be 30 years old. So they are grooming him for 3 years from now? Maybe I guess
                            It's the Marlins, I could see that, lol. Letting Romo be featured and get saves also might increase their return at the deadline, but probably only marginally.

Comment

• Closer Monkey is posting again. This is their updated AL grid.

Closer 1st in line 2nd in line
                              BAL Givens Bleier Fry
                              BOS Barnes Brasier Hembree
                              NYY Chapman Britton Ottavino
                              TB Alvarado Roe Castillo
                              TOR Giles Tepera Mayza

CHW Colome Jones Herrera
                              CLE Hand Cimber Edwards
                              DET Greene Jimenez Farmer
                              KC *Boxberger Peralta Hill
                              MIN *May Parker Hildenberger

HOU Osuna Rondon Devenski
                              LAA Allen Robles Buttrey
                              OAK Treinen Soria Rodney
                              SEA Strickland Swarzak Armstrong
                              TEX Leclerc Martin Chavez

A full write up is here: http://closermonkey.com/

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelph...artner=ya4nbcs
                                CLEARWATER, Fla. — Seranthony Dominguez made his major league debut five weeks into the season last year and quickly became manager Gabe Kapler’s favorite bullpen weapon.

“When Seranthony is at his best, there may not be a better reliever in baseball,” Kapler said after Dominguez made his spring debut with three quick outs against the Pittsburgh Pirates on Saturday.

“He has no ceiling. He can be as good as anyone in the league.”

Keeping the hard-throwing, 24-year-old right-hander healthy was a priority last season and it remains so this year. Dominguez had a 1.59 ERA in his first 29 games last season but it rose to 4.88 over the next 24. That might have been attributable to fatigue and the Phils want to guard against that this season.

“We’ve had a player plan meeting with Dominguez and one of the things we want to do is definitely stay in close contact with him,” Kapler said. “Anything that crops up for him related to fatigue, we definitely want to back off."
                                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                                X