No announcement yet.

2K19: Closer and Bullpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone reading into the twins bullpen? I know it's a bit of a mess so far but does Blake Parker's save today give any clarity?

Trevor May has only pitched in only 1 game and he came into the game in the 7th
    Taylor Rodgers has pitched in 3 games so far - he has come into the game in the 8th all three times
    Blake Parker has two appearances, with one in the 9th and one in the 10th

Is that the order we should expect? Based on the very small data set we have so far, it seems at least semi-consistent of an order, although there have only been 2 saves among them.

If I had to guess I'd say Parker ends up with the most saves among the group. Anyone else see it that way? Or disagree?

Comment

• Originally posted by Msaint View Post
      Seems like committee clusterf*ck in Seattle, but if you had to spec on one for lion's share of save opps, who would it be?

Swarzak
      Gearrin
      Rosscup
      Festa
      It's looking like Swarzak's job to lose now. He got the final 2 outs for save #1 tonight.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        Aroldis Chapman's fastball is down 6 mph from just 3 years ago and is averaging a very un-Chapman like 95.1 mph.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1169[/ATTACH]
        Chapman on Tuesday sat around 98 mph and touched 100 mph. The bad news is that he gave up 2 runs in a non-save situation.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
          Is anyone reading into the twins bullpen? I know it's a bit of a mess so far but does Blake Parker's save today give any clarity?

Trevor May has only pitched in only 1 game and he came into the game in the 7th
          Taylor Rodgers has pitched in 3 games so far - he has come into the game in the 8th all three times
          Blake Parker has two appearances, with one in the 9th and one in the 10th

Is that the order we should expect? Based on the very small data set we have so far, it seems at least semi-consistent of an order, although there have only been 2 saves among them.

If I had to guess I'd say Parker ends up with the most saves among the group. Anyone else see it that way? Or disagree?
          I think it's too early to say for sure, but I think May is the "fireman" and Rogers/Parker are going to share the closer job. If there are a bunch of lefties due up, Rogers will get the save opp... even if there are some righties mixed in. Rogers coming into the 8th for a lefty and then staying to work the whole 9th was confusing, but he did enter the game to face a lefty.

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
            Chapman on Tuesday sat around 98 mph and touched 100 mph. The bad news is that he gave up 2 runs in a non-save situation.
            Feels like he's always sucked in non-save situations. I don't understand why Boone did that. I know that *most* teams should use their closer there since he'll never get a save situation once the home team gets to the 9th inning, and their closer is their most talented RP. But most teams don't have 6 really good relievers in their bullpen. And Chapman isn't really a 75 inning season kind of guy. So why burn him out?

Chapman's velocity did look better. He's also been tinkering with a cutter which he appeared to throw a couple times last night. I'm glad to see him thinking of ways to be effective when he's only throwing 97 instead of 103.

Comment

• Who has more saves this year? Swarzak or Jeffress?

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                I think it's too early to say for sure, but I think May is the "fireman" and Rogers/Parker are going to share the closer job. If there are a bunch of lefties due up, Rogers will get the save opp... even if there are some righties mixed in. Rogers coming into the 8th for a lefty and then staying to work the whole 9th was confusing, but he did enter the game to face a lefty.
                Parker got the one-out save today against a left handed batter. Both he and Rogers had thrown yesterday.

It must have been maddening to May owners. He had gotten the first two batters in the 9th out and his pitch count was under 30. But Rocco made the call for Parker to face Alex Gordon.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                  Who has more saves this year? Swarzak or Jeffress?
                  I don't follow the AL so kinda of hard for me to say but with Jeffress starting his rehad it might be best to see how this this goes. The whole reason for him doing this is because his velocity was down. If the rehab goes off with no set backs and his velocity returns then still not sure if the Brewers put him strictly at closing, have Hader continue to close or some type of combination. Provided Jeffress is good to go I would think his saves totals could be 15 low end 25 high end.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam View Post
                    Who has more saves this year? Swarzak or Jeffress?
                    I'd go Swarzak. The rest of the M's bullpen remains a tire fire and nobody is taking that job from him. It's just a question of how many leads they'll actually get him. The Brewers will probably still mix and match, and we don't even know that Jeffress is 100% yet.

Comment

• My NFBC team has Greg Holland, Sergio Romo, Blake Parker (and Brad Hand, who isn't the problem).

Figuring out which of these guys to start every week is going to be a nightmare. This week I started Romo which was the wrong move.

Comment

• ooh, I know of a way to end that nightmare!
                        #crossthread
                        #getoffmylawn
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                          My NFBC team has Greg Holland, Sergio Romo, Blake Parker (and Brad Hand, who isn't the problem).

Figuring out which of these guys to start every week is going to be a nightmare. This week I started Romo which was the wrong move.
                          Holland seems pretty solid to me right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                            Holland seems pretty solid to me right now.
                            I don't want to make too much over a 2-inning sample, but I will anyway.

Velocity down across the board, 1-2 mph. Of his 10 fastballs and 4 curves, he's yet to produce a single swinging strike. Not saying he's garbage yet, just that he's far from solid in my book. I might look to sell off those two saves.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanK View Post
                              I might look to sell off those two saves.
                              That's the correct play in my opinion.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                                That's the correct play in my opinion.
                                I suppose. But he is currently the proclaimed closer in ARI and is 2 for 2 in save opps. I suppose if you play in a shallower league where these kinds of crappy closers grow on trees, selling is the best option. But if you're in a deep NL-only, and you grabbed Holland late for a buck or two or got him for FAAB, you probably knew he was no great shakes but you were farming for saves. It would be silly to farm for cheap saves and then sell them off as soon as the saves start coming in cheaply.

Depending on the depth of your league, you may want to ride Holland until he collapses -which he probably will- and enjoy the saves you got for minimal investment.

And truth be told, is ANYONE high on Holland? Are there any websites or publications touting him? Did he go for full value in ANY experts league? I'd say no. This means that his trade value is extremely low. Is any owner in all of fantasy baseball so desperate in Week Two that he will give up anything of value for Greg Holland? If so, that is a rare owner and you probably don't have one of those in your league. Holland's trade value is super-low, so you likely wouldn't be able to trade him for full closer-value anyway. If you own Holland, in my opinion, the best you can do is to hold and milk all the saves you can and toss him the minute the saves dry up.

Comment

Working...
                                X