No announcement yet.

2K19: Closer and Bullpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obviously there's some time to go, but this closer class seems very dicey to me at this stage.

Tier One: Cream of the Crop
    Aroldis Chapman -- the leader in the clubhouse
    Craig Kimbrel -- he'll end up somewhere as closer of course
    Kenley Jansen -- great as always, but his heart problems scare me enough to avoid
    Edwin Diaz -- an elite option, but he's now a Met and his 57-save season seems hard to duplicate

Tier Two: Seem Locked In, Don't They?
    Brad Hand -- should be an elite closing option, but could also be traded if the Indians fall out of it
    Felipe Vazquez -- could also be moved if they Bucs don't compete
    Raisel Iglesias -- with a new extension in hand, probably won't be trade bait
    Roberto Osuna -- since he was once suspended 50-games, what's to stop another suspension?
    Blake Treinen -- had a season for the ages, but can he duplicate? And Oakland loves getting rid of its closers.
    Wade Davis -- had a terrible season, but has tenure
    Sean Doolittle -- is unhittable when healthy, but goes long stretches when he isn't healthy

Tier Three: Pins & Needles
    Ken Giles -- between his 'tude and bouts of ineffectiveness, I wouldn't be thrilled if he was my top closer
    Archie Bradley -- seems to be the guy, but who really knows?
    Jose Leclerc -- was dominant last year, but also walks a TON and seems like a guy who can get removed pretty easily

Tier Four: Have a Backup Plan
    Kirby Yates -- journeyman who had a dominating year. These types tend to come and go.
    Shawn Greene -- journeyman who didn't have a dominating year. Seems very susceptible to losing his job.
    Brandon Morrow - -just can't stay healthy

Tier Five: Collect Them All
    Andrew Miller/Tyler Hicks/Anthony Reyes
    Arodys Vizcaino/AJ Minter
    Corey Knebel/Josh Hader/Jeremy Jeffress
    David Robertson/Seranthony Dominguez/Hector Neris
    Will Smith/Mark Melancon/Sam Dyson
    Alex Colome/Kelvin Herrera
    Blake Parker/Trevor Hildenberger

Tier Six: "There's Really Little Else"
    Mychal Givens -- who knows?
    Drew Steckenrider -- who knows?
    Jose Alvarado -- who knows?
    Wily Peralta -- who knows?
    Seattle's Mystery Man
    LA Angels' Mystery Man (Ty Buttrey? Only the shadow knows)

Tier Seven: Remember Me?
    Cody Allen
    Greg Holland
    Zach Britton
    Sergio Romo

Comment

• Neris and Sir Anthony seem like good fireman, while Robertson seems like he might be aging into the Hoffman/Rivera, put me in the 9th and leave me alone role. Curious to see how Philly shakes out.

Comment

• I assume Wily Peralta in KC would slot in somewhere next to Wandy Peralta in the "who knows?" category?

Comment

• Twins ink Blake Parker and White Sox sign Kelvin Herrera.....both are now presumably in the mix for saves

Comment

• Pretty good article about Alvarado being an elite pitcher down the stretch: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/by-the-w...as-impossible/

Does he really have a shot at the job?

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              Pretty good article about Alvarado being an elite pitcher down the stretch: https://blogs.fangraphs.com/by-the-w...as-impossible/

Does he really have a shot at the job?
              I think so, he's in the drivers seat right now.

And some of us picked him up early last year when our resident Rays expert gave some sage advice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post

And some of us picked him up early last year when our resident Rays expert gave some sage advice.

http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...ado#post301306
                Oh, I did too. Now I'm wondering if I should be considering him as a keeper.

Comment

• Jordan Hicks (I think it says Tyler Hicks in the list). Tough to evaluate.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post

http://forum.rotojunkiefix.com/showt...ado#post301306
                    at least I got the "longterm play" part of that right. Best arm in the pen and one of the best in the game when he's shoving as he did down the stretch

Comment

• The Arizona closer's job is probably Greg Holland's to lose now with Archie Bradley as plan B.
                      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Greg Holland and Mychal Givens both seem to have the closer job after ugly seasons in 2018.

Where would you rank them among the 30 teams? How much would you spend?

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                          The Arizona closer's job is probably Greg Holland's to lose now with Archie Bradley as plan B.
                          perhaps, but after watching him a fair bit last year (I had an irrational faith in him & had him on my roster for far too long), IMO he's very capable of losing it before the end of march.
                          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Holland was a tale of two cities. Go look at his numbers (small sample size) in Washington.

Code:
                            Year	Age	Tm	Lg	W	L	W-L%	ERA	G	GS	GF	CG	SHO	SV	IP	H	R	ER	HR	BB	IBB	SO	HBP	BK	WP	BF	ERA+	FIP	WHIP	H9	HR9	BB9	SO9	SO/W
                            2018	32	STL	NL	0	2	.000	7.92	32	0	7	0	0	0	25.0	34	28	22	1	22	2	22	0	0	0	132	50	4.56	2.240	12.2	0.4	7.9	7.9	1.00	
                            2018	32	WSN	NL	2	0	1.000	0.84	24	0	6	0	0	3	21.1	9	2	2	1	10	0	25	1	0	0	80	510	2.97	0.891	3.8	0.4	4.2	10.5	2.50
                            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                              Holland was a tale of two cities. Go look at his numbers (small sample size) in Washington.
                              you said it - small sample size; he still had 10 BBs in 21.1. IP in Wash, and from watching him his fb was sitting 92-93 IIRC. Maybe it's coz I got burned, but I'm not buying.
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                                you said it - small sample size; he still had 10 BBs in 21.1. IP in Wash, and from watching him his fb was sitting 92-93 IIRC. Maybe it's coz I got burned, but I'm not buying.
                                Yeah, I hear ya. His 4.2 BB9 is not too out of line with his career numbers, but is high.
                                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                                X