2K19: Closer and Bullpen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
    What's everyone's feeling today on who will be the Cubs' closer? Will they go with Morrow or Cishek, or Reed? Or will they bring in another arm for the 9th? I traded Chance Adams for Morrow because I needed another MLB ready arm, so I have a lot of interest in the Cubs bullpen.
    I have Morrow for $2-3 in 2 leagues but I'd also like to grab Cishek on the bench. I really liked what I saw from him last year and feel better about him as insurance given Morrow's health history.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
      I have Morrow for $2-3 in 2 leagues but I'd also like to grab Cishek on the bench. I really liked what I saw from him last year and feel better about him as insurance given Morrow's health history.
      Normally I would pick up Cishek, but I don't have the roster space. One thing I refuse to do is chase saves. If Morrow doesn't work out then I'll chalk the trade for him as a dart throw and miss.

Comment

Originally posted by Roy Hobbs View Post
        What's everyone's feeling today on who will be the Cubs' closer? Will they go with Morrow or Cishek, or Reed? Or will they bring in another arm for the 9th? I traded Chance Adams for Morrow because I needed another MLB ready arm, so I have a lot of interest in the Cubs bullpen.
        It has been stated by the Cubs that Morrow is the closer. I don't remember the exact quote, but the door was left open to change that if Holland is signed. I doubt that happens now that they have signed Darvish.

I think they are about 9M under the cap. That won't get Holland.

If I owned Morrow, I would feel very good about it.

Comment

onroto

02.10: Marlins' team president of baseball operations David Hill confirmed Saturday that Brad Ziegler will head into spring training as the team's closer. (The veteran right-hander has long been expected to begin the season in that role, though if he pitches well it's likely he'll be dealt to a contender at the trade deadline. Kyle Barraclough and Drew Steckenrider still loom if Ziegler should struggle.)

I've owned most of Ziggy's closing career, including his 10 SV for me late last year as a FA pickup. always had him for $1 or $2, and he never failed.

can keep him for $10 BUT
          - I already own Knebel $2 and Neris $1
          - my league has never believed in him, he's old, and as noted he may not last the season in NL or as closer

even in deep NL-only and with this news, is he keepable at $10?
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

if your league has never believed in him, throw him back and get him for $6
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

yeah, that's my thought as well
              and maybe nominate him early, too
              I don't need any SV, but if someone bids 15, great
              and I'd take him for 6 - and make it even easier for me to swap out a bargain closer midseason

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Context is everything, but in my 12 tm nl with high inflation, locking up a 3rd closer for 10 bucks would be a good thing. Closers are typically easy to trade, and the going rate should be higher. Even in a non inflation environment, a 10 buck closer in a 12 tm nl is a gimme. The more fungible part to me is a $7 Lind, he will be hard pressed to repeat stats of last year because of the up and comers on that roster who will eat playing time. The play would be to lock up Rizzo 42, and end game you will absolutely have filler like $7 Lind available.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  yeah, that's my thought as well
                  and maybe nominate him early, too
                  I don't need any SV, but if someone bids 15, great
                  and I'd take him for 6 - and make it even easier for me to swap out a bargain closer midseason
                  The winning bid will likely be depressed as I would expect the Marlins to trade him by mid-season and the team not getting too many chances as in winning ballgames. Steckenrider could be next closer then Barraclough but that depends on Mattingly.

Comment

"Even in a non inflation environment, a 10 buck closer in a 12 tm nl is a gimme."

which is why I kept JJ Hoover for the same price in 2016 (14.34 ERA, 2.344 Ratio, 1 SV in 10.66 IP before I took him out back and....)

Lind and Kendrick are shaky keeps for sure. I don't have to keep 11

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Great article for everything but saves:
                      Non-closers were more prominent on last year’s leaderboards. Here are a dozen relievers who could make a fantasy impact without saves in 2018.

I always want to know the next Dave Robertson/Andrew Miller/Chris Devinski type, ie good ratios and a chance for 100 Ks.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Cards sign Bud Norris.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                          onroto

02.10: Marlins' team president of baseball operations David Hill confirmed Saturday that Brad Ziegler will head into spring training as the team's closer. (The veteran right-hander has long been expected to begin the season in that role, though if he pitches well it's likely he'll be dealt to a contender at the trade deadline. Kyle Barraclough and Drew Steckenrider still loom if Ziegler should struggle.)

I've owned most of Ziggy's closing career, including his 10 SV for me late last year as a FA pickup. always had him for $1 or $2, and he never failed.

can keep him for $10 BUT
                          - I already own Knebel $2 and Neris $1
                          - my league has never believed in him, he's old, and as noted he may not last the season in NL or as closer

even in deep NL-only and with this news, is he keepable at $10?
                          well, I got a nibble of sorts: Knebel 2-S1 for farmhand Brendan Rodgers, the Rockies SS

first inclination was NO WAY
                          Rodgers would be 5-S2 until the year after he loses rookie eligibility. then 5-S1, then either 5-O OR 10-L2 with an option for a 15-L1 season as well

my answer will be: let's talk again in June. I rack up some extra SV, maybe even making Knebel expendable for me in 2018. if I'm out of contention, Rodgers could be a nice cornerstone OR a chip that buys me something I need more than SV/K.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

now I have 2B-OF (and likely 3B qualifier at 1 G at some point) Scooter Gennett being dangled at 4-S1

seems like an all-time fluke season, but HQ pegged him with a $22 result for 2017 and a $19 projection for 2018. and I have little to nothing up the middle at this point

on paper, that seems like a good flip for Neris 1-S1, especially if Ziegler is worth keeping? (he'll probably counter and seek Knebel 2-S1, but the dude had 126 Ks (!) in 76 IP last year)

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

FYI closermonkey is now fully updated with writeups for every team and updated tiers. Thanks closermonkey!

Comment

This situation is a mess:

Jeff Fletcher of the Orange County Register noted Monday that Blake Parker "likely enters the season as the first choice to pitch the ninth inning" for the Angels.

Parker has had a disastrous spring, but the 32-year-old right-hander registered a stellar 2.54 ERA, 0.83 WHIP, and 86/16 K/BB ratio over 67 1/3 innings in 2017 and he got most of the Angels' save opportunities down the stretch. Cam Bedrosian would appear to be next in line and makes for a smart stash.
                                Related: Cam Bedrosian
                                Source: Orange County RegisterMar 27 - 1:18 AM

Comment

Working...
                                X