No announcement yet.

2k19: Lucas Giolito

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now he's a post-surgery prospect. 2019 was ugly: 6.13 ERA, 1.48 WHIP, 125 K in 173+ IP. He turned things around August, 3.86 ERA, only to collapse late in the season. The August recovery prompted this article: https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/luca...ng-his-season/
    This is a lot of words and images about a pitcher who remains a work in progress. Giolito still has to prove himself, still has to prove he can stay ahead of his opponents, and then put them away. Again, I wrote good things about Giolito in March, and then he was dreadful. The mission isn’t yet accomplished. But Giolito, at least, is finding something in 2018 that he can be proud of. While he never got demoted to the minors, he seems to have taken steps to salvage what otherwise would’ve been a lost and tremendously disappointing season.

This was before the September collapse. Still, we have seen other pitchers finally figure out how to use their stuff. Carlos Corrasco burned a lot of fantasy players. Giolito is still only 24 years old. What will his age 25 season look like?

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

If he has a bad Spring he will be waver wire fodder.

Comment

That depends on the depth of the league. He'll be an innings horse as long he stays healthy. That has value in deep leagues.

What if the spring gives hope?

J
        Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
          That depends on the depth of the league. He'll be an innings horse as long he stays healthy. That has value in deep leagues.

What if the spring gives hope?

J
          Bad whip, worse era, not many strikes. I hope he has a hot spring so the owner keeps him.

Comment

From a fantasy perspective, he has a troubling combo of giving up a lot of hr's, which elevates his era and a low k/9 rate, which limits his upside. He reminds me a bit of Kyle Gibson, who finally took a pretty big step forward this year, but still seems to have a somewhat modest ceiling. Of course, Gibson debuted in the majors at age 25 and Giolito only just turned 24, so perhaps he'll figure it out more quickly, but for next year, I see a low-floor/low-ceiling player.

Comment

He has guaranteed playing time, injuries permitting, but bad ratios and modest counting stats. So, we are talking about a player in the 300s and that because of his stuff.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Nice start to 2019 despite the short DL stint. Has Lucas figured something out or has he gotten lucky pitching to some of the lesser offenses thus far?
                After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  Nice start to 2019 despite the short DL stint. Has Lucas figured something out or has he gotten lucky pitching to some of the lesser offenses thus far?
                  3.06 FIP, he's pitching better than his ERA suggests. Lots of strikeouts. Velocity is up. Looks pretty real.

He had a couple bad games in early April and it wouldn't surprise me if he had another stinker now and then. But on the whole I think he's turning into the pitcher that the White Sox expected when they traded for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                    3.06 FIP, he's pitching better than his ERA suggests. Lots of strikeouts. Velocity is up. Looks pretty real.

He had a couple bad games in early April and it wouldn't surprise me if he had another stinker now and then. But on the whole I think he's turning into the pitcher that the White Sox expected when they traded for him.
                    Agree. While still very risky, I think he has figured out that his change is his best pitch and throws his FB and CB less. If the velocity bump holds he just might have a very good season.

Comment

Just saw this.

Comment

Working...
                      X