Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weight Loss Challenge - 2018!

Hey my flabby friends!

It's been a few years since I've joined the annual weight loss thread. 2-3 years ago I dropped into the 160-170 lb range and stayed there...

But I'm BACK! This year I finally saw the right doctor, who fixed a medical issue that was giving me severe pain for the past 12 years or so. This has been life-changing for me... In the past I was severely restricted in the amount of oil + sugar (among other things) I was able to consume without pain. Now that I'm able to eat anything I want again, the belt buckle has slipped back a couple notches, and I need to be a little more thoughtful about my food choices.

Another factor, one of my best friends started working out in April, and he posted before and after pictures that are just crazy... it made me really jealous! This buddy of mine was always practicing guitar 10 hours a day, so I'm sure that when his brain got into workout mode, he just went hardcore with it.

Monday is JANUARY 1st, 2018. I know there's only been 2-3 people sticking with this every year, but I'm motivated, and I hope others are too.
    Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

I'll be in. I joined a competition with my friends over the summer and lost 27 pounds (+$400!) but there's still work to be done. I've only gained back six pounds so pretty stoked about that.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I am in. Gained 7.4 lbs between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I started yesterday with my first weigh in. Figured I would get started even though we have a downtown Chicago wedding New Years Eve. Any loss is gain.

Goal is 210.

2/27= 224.4

Comment

I'm in. I just visited a friend for a few days who tracks his food using MyFitnessPal. I got into it (again) with him and also ordered a Samsung GearFit2 to track my steps and sync with MyFitnessPal.

I was 287.4 Wed. Want to get to 260 and go from there.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I'm in. 2017 was a bad year for me weight wise. I'm the heaviest I've ever been at around 210. My first goal is to get back under the Mendoza line, hopefully by my 41st birthday Feb 1 (probably unrealistic to lose almost 10 pounds in a month, but that is my short term goal).

But 2017 was a great year for other reasons--my second son was born in early September, was the biggest win. I also won every single league I played in this year, baseball and football (it was only 3 leagues--2 baseball and 1 football, but I'll take it)! So, maybe I celebrated all my victories this year a little too hard.

Still can't believe I've got as heavy as I have. I don't think I'm eating worse and I have definitely walked more, but I haven't done much of any of the hard sweating work outs I used to do all year, so I figure that is what I need to get into. Increasing my step count might make be healthier in some way, but it definitely has not made me thinner. Also, I've only slept an average of 6 hours a might the last 4 months, but as my infant ages, I hope too get more sleep, which I hope will help the weight loss.

Comment

Using the MyFitnessPal app for the past several days I had 2 strong epiphanies:

1) Food has more calories than I realize. Everything, large or small, adds up.
            2) Shopping at Costco can lead to buying too many groceries.

When I came home after traveling for XMas the fridge was pretty much bare. $140 at Costco later and it's full. Too full. I bought some stuff for meals, plus some stuff to complete meals. I realize it's too much. I will cook and freeze some stuff. The rest will feed me for the next week. In the past I would eat food because I felt like I needed to. I am going to change that going forward.

If anyone else is using it and wants to connect I'm virgonomic.

Comment

" Food has more calories than I realize."

I don't think anyone is likely to succeed unless they have a pretty good read on the calories in damn near everything they eat (I exempt most fruit and vegetables, because the positives generally outweigh the negatives and the calorie count rarely is a negative).
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I m in - 233 - need to get to 215 or lower (6'4") but diabetic. - most weight is around the waist. Need to cut back on Sandwiches AKA Bread.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                  " Food has more calories than I realize."

I don't think anyone is likely to succeed unless they have a pretty good read on the calories in damn near everything they eat (I exempt most fruit and vegetables, because the positives generally outweigh the negatives and the calorie count rarely is a negative).
                  Yep. A hard workout or sport is going to buy you some calories, but for me, it doesn't take an inordinate amount of food to get to 2500 cals. Little additions and snacks can tip the scales, no pun intended. I know it's a simple formula but tracking my cals consciously has been an eye-opener. Have tried it before, going to try harder to make it stick this time.

One of the big challenges for me is going to be balancing work. However, I have a better teaching schedule next semester which will reduce my workload.

Comment

OK I am in.
                    Weight 1/1/18 is 229 pounds.
                    Goal is 210 pounds by March 15.

Four part plan:
                    1. No alcohol except for Saturday night and hockey night (1-2/ month)
                    2. Fruit or whole-grain bread plus peanut butter for breakfast
                    3. Yogurt or salad for lunch
                    4. Workout 30 minutes elliptical or free weights each weekday, one hour on weekends.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      I am in. Gained 7.4 lbs between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

I started yesterday with my first weigh in. Figured I would get started even though we have a downtown Chicago wedding New Years Eve. Any loss is gain.

Goal is 210.

2/27= 224.4
                      2/27= 224.4
                      1/2 = 223.7

Not bad considering the New Years Eve insane wedding we went to as well as our Chinese tradition on New Years Day.

Full steam ahead!

Comment

Goal - 210

1/2 - 229
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

In at 284.5. I've been working on it since Dec. 27 and am 9 lbs. lower than a year ago. Got below 280 over the summer by playing/umpiring a lot of softball. Goal is 260 and will go from there. At 6'2" I should be around 200 - reach the unattainable goal in attainable increments.

Comment

I'll throw in some tips here and there on what I've learned in the past decade (some is obvious but forgotten, some might seem new to you)

This year's biggest lesson was E A T S L O W L Y

it's critical at parties and buffets, but it also works when going out for dinner

if you take a deep breath and savor your bites, you'll feel full before you're half done at many restaurants

the food may still look and smell good - but if you listen to your stomach, you'll recognize that you're not hungry anymore

first doggie bags of my life came this year!

it's economical, to boot, since you get another meal or two out of it the next day
                            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

1/4 284.5
                              1/8 285.8

Up a pound. Eating more mindfully and tracking everything using MyFitnessPal. Joined an indoor softball league so I have ball hockey / ice hockey / softball weekly. This is more for health than weight loss which is 70-80% dependent on calories.

Was to return to work from the holidays today but buses are canceled so I'm working from home and heading to the gym for some cardio.

Comment

Working...
                              X