No announcement yet.

Rock and Roll HoF Class of 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Creep is their “hit” song but they’ve had plenty of songs that you can still hear on alternative stations - “karma police”, “fake plastic trees”, “paranoid android”, “just”, probably a few others I’m forgetting. They went from an interesting alternative band to a groundbreaking rock/alternative/electronica/progressive band starting with OK Computer though. They haven’t gotten a ton of airplay since the 90s but their albums are consistently lauded by critics and fans alike (personally I wasn’t much of a fan of the last couple though). I was really surprised they weren’t a first-ballot band last year.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      Because johnny's list is unfathomably bad. And it's not how Radiohead rolled; to their credit, they moved in directions they wanted to move and have been successful for the most part. I loved The Bends and OK Computer, but they made a radical musical shift at Kid A, which was critically acclaimed, but I thought sucked canal water.

They were a brilliant live band, and a lot of their live covers of other artists songs are brilliant.
      That website is awesome actually, it aggregates best of lists, and is unique in that it values newer lists over older lists. That means older records that don't pass the legacy test drop down over time, and newer (last 30 years ) records that tend to get ignored in these lists get recognition.

If you haven't been following music much over the last 20 years, it's a great place to see what is worth listening to. By contrast, if your looking to delve into the history of music, it cuts out the chaff.

Check out their year by year lists, you won't find much to disagree with.
      Last edited by johnnya24; 12-14-2018, 01:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
        Creep is their “hit” song but they’ve had plenty of songs that you can still hear on alternative stations - “karma police”, “fake plastic trees”, “paranoid android”, “just”, probably a few others I’m forgetting. They went from an interesting alternative band to a groundbreaking rock/alternative/electronica/progressive band starting with OK Computer though. They haven’t gotten a ton of airplay since the 90s but their albums are consistently lauded by critics and fans alike (personally I wasn’t much of a fan of the last couple though). I was really surprised they weren’t a first-ballot band last year.
        Last year they explicitly said they didn't want to be accepted over other bands on the list.

I really liked A Moon Shaped Pool. Apart from In Rainbows I'd say it's their best since Kid A.

Comment

Meh. Last winter's slate is 1000% better.

Maybe there are so many because none stand out. Stevie Nicks I like. This looks like handing out candy.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
            That website is awesome actually, it aggregates best of lists, and is unique in that it values newer lists over older lists. That means older records that don't pass the legacy test drop down over time, and newer (last 30 years ) records that tend to get ignored in these lists get recognition.

If you haven't been following music much over the last 20 years, it's a great place to see what is worth listening to. By contrast, if your looking to delve into the history of music, it cuts out the chaff.

Check out their year by year lists, you won't find much to disagree with.
            Ok I'm a big Radiohead fan, but think they are getting too much love on this list. Kind of like the folks who declare the modern quartet of Pedro/Unit/Maddux/Clemens as being the best ever because they were facing juiced hitting.

In other words, they're being overrated due to the competition (or lack thereof) at the time of their peak.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
              Ok I'm a big Radiohead fan, but think they are getting too much love on this list. Kind of like the folks who declare the modern quartet of Pedro/Unit/Maddux/Clemens as being the best ever because they were facing juiced hitting.

In other words, they're being overrated due to the competition (or lack thereof) at the time of their peak.
              Besteveralbums is one of the best resource sites for music on the Internet IMO. If I want to look into a new artist, especially an older one, this is the first place I go to see what I should listen to first.

It's not the definitive word on things, partly because it's a dynamic list. It will always be changing. Check out the year by year evaluations, going back to the 60's. It's spot on. It allows the truly important work to become apparent over time.

So the positive part of the methodology is that it gets rid of the albums that were overrated during their time, while the albums than have stood the test of time, or were forgotten, get their fair dues. Even the older years back in the 60 and 70's have dynamically shifting rankings.

The negative part is that older work will inevitably degrade, as recent recordings that obviously appear more often on lists gain more traction. There's an imbalance that you might be picking up on. They could modify their algorithms to account for that IMO.

Then again, over time that will even out also.

It works great on a year-to-year basis, but maybe weaker on the overall lists. They could fix that imbalance, but it would maybe contradict the methodology? I don't think so to be honest. But IMO, it works so well on the year-by-year lists, that I don't really care.

------------

Here's an interesting page (which I would like to see expanded). They chart how the albums on the lists move up and down over the years as the information is gathered and tastes change. It's all based on data. I'd like to see back more than 5 years.

What is the greatest music album of all time? BestEverAlbums.com brings together over 60,000 charts and calculates an overall ranking of the best albums of all time.

Comment

Yea seems like a good resource but I only browsed the GOAT list.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  Yea seems like a good resource but I only browsed the GOAT list.
                  That site is a time wasting rabbit hole for me.

Comment

Working...
                  X