Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rock and Roll HoF Class of 2018

Bon Jovi, The Cars, Dire Straits, The Moody Blues, and Nina Simone

Always a good discussion here on this topic!

Here were all the nominees:
    • Rage Against the Machine
    • Eurythmics
    • Bon Jovi
    • Radiohead
    • Judas Priest
    • Dire Straits
    • Kate Bush
    • The Moody Blues
    • Nina Simone
    • The Cars
    • Depeche Mode
    • J. Geils Band
    • LL Cool J
    • MC5
    • The Meters
    • Rufus featuring Chaka Khan
    • Link Wray
    • The Zombies

Personally, Bon Jovi belongs for sure. I would say without a doubt that Mark Knopfler belongs, but not sure if Dire Straits the band does. The Cars have some good songs for sure (my kids and I rock out to Hello Again all the time), but not sure they are HoF caliber. Rage should make it at some point, as Tom Morello is an amazing and groundbreaking player. Judas Priest probably, but their fame pre-dates me a bit. I also think LL Cool J was influential and deserves another look.

ETA: other than Nights in White satin I'm not terribly familiar with the Moody blues. I'm sure some of you are so let me know what I'm missing

All that said, there are years where Im dying to see the HBO special from the induction ceremony. This year isnt one of them.
    Last edited by Pauly; 12-13-2017, 09:41 AM.

Good class, glad to see the Blues and the Cars finally get in.

Some of the Moody Blues' stuff is too pompous, but my personal faves are:
    "Story in Your Eyes"
    "The Voice"
    "Question"
    "Gemini Dream"
    and their 1986 comeback, "Your Wildest Dreams"

Comment

When Priest gets in I would love to see them play "Painkiller".

Eurythmics was also a pop favorite on mine growing up. I would love to see them make it.
      Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

I'm a fan of the Cars, Bon Jovi and Dire Straits.

Never got into the Moody Blues.

I'll be going to the induction ceremony in Cleveland in April. Can't wait!

Comment

I am opining based on believing that the HoF should be just that, A HoF, not a Hall of Good . I am not taking into account those artists already in the HoF.

Bon Jovi - Not HoF to me. Just shows what a few monster albums and singles can do. Bon Jovi was mega-popular for a short time frame, but the fact that they dominated during that time counts for something to many, but not to me.

The Cars - Great band. Great choice

Dire Straits - See Bon Jovi. Although Knopfler is awesome

The Moody Blues - Should have been in years ago.

Nina Simone - Never listened to her so i cannot comment

Here were all the nominees:
          Rage Against the Machine - Nope. Limited run of excellence
          Eurythmics - Nope. Good band, not great
          Radiohead - I think that they are one of the most over rated groups of all time. But I guess they should probably be in the Hall.
          Judas Priest - Long overdue. A fucking travesty that they are not in.
          Kate Bush - Even though she sings my all time favorite song in "Wuthering Heights" she is not Hall worthy. Spots of brilliance, but overall simply good.
          Depeche Mode - Great in their genre, but hall worthy? Toss up. i would vote no.
          J. Geils Band - Nope. Solid band, but not great.
          LL Cool J - i am not that big of a Rap fan, so i don't really know where he stands in the rap music world as far as greatness goes.
          MC5 - I never listened to them. Because of their importance to the rock genre, maybe.
          The Meters - Never listened to them. No comment
          Rufus featuring Chaka Khan - Hell no.
          Link Wray - Maybe for his one massive song, "Rumble"? other than that why?
          The Zombies - Nope. another good band, that's all.
          Last edited by Mithrandir; 12-13-2017, 12:07 PM.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Depeche Mode basically defines their genre, can't believe they arent going in
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              Dire Straits - See Bon Jovi. Although Knopfler is awesome.
              Knopfler's solo stuff is terrific- in fact way better than dire straits.

Comment

If the Sex Pistols are in, the MC5 should be in too.

I'm kind of surprised Radiohead didn't get in on the first ballot.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                  Depeche Mode basically defines their genre, can't believe they arent going in
                  They will get in eventually. There is probably a synth pop bias in the electorate, similar to there being a prog bias for a long time.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Here is the list of 2019 inductees:
                    • The Cure
                    • Def Leppard
                    • Janet Jackson
                    • Stevie Nicks
                    • Radiohead
                    • Roxy Music
                    • The Zombies

I can already hear the groans from around here about The Cure, but personally, I love them....also, I cant imagine what middle school would have been like for me without Def Leppard.

The one that sticks out to me is Radiohead - I can only think of one hit song by them (Creep of course). I dont think they have the body of work to be in there, but maybe some of you guys can educate me on that one.

Comment

Radiohead only have 4 albums in the top 20

What is the greatest music album of all time? BestEverAlbums.com brings together over 60,000 charts and calculates an overall ranking of the best albums of all time. The top ranked albums in the Overall Chart are 1 - OK Computer by Radiohead, 2 - The Dark Side Of The Moon by Pink Floyd, 3 - Abbey Road by The Beatles, 4 - Revolver by The Beatles, 5 - Kid A by Radiohead, 6 - In Rainbows by Radiohead, 7 - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band by The Beatles, 8 - Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd, 9 - The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And The Spiders From Mars by David Bowie and 10 - The Velvet Underground & Nico by The Velvet Underground & Nico.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                        Radiohead only have 4 albums in the top 20

https://www.besteveralbums.com/overall.php
                        OK then...wonder why they didnt get much radio play...or maybe they did lol

Comment

Radiohead is a no-brainer. So are the Meters IMO
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                            Yeah, more of an albums band, but they do have plenty of well known identifiable songs

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                              Because johnny's list is unfathomably bad. And it's not how Radiohead rolled; to their credit, they moved in directions they wanted to move and have been successful for the most part. I loved The Bends and OK Computer, but they made a radical musical shift at Kid A, which was critically acclaimed, but I thought sucked canal water.

They were a brilliant live band, and a lot of their live covers of other artists songs are brilliant.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Working...
                              X