Official Week Nine Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    I like TY...he's due for a breakout game, and Houston D really isn't that good with all the injuries.
    I started Mixon - doh - but he want all bad

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
      Uhhhh, good call.
      LOL...wasn't exactly a tough call, IMO, given the options.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

after tonight, 12 NFC teams at .500 or better

NFC
        EAGLES 8-1, Cowboys 5-3, Redskins 4-4
        VIKINGS 6-2, Lions 4-4, Packers 4-4
        SAINTS 6-2, PANTHERS 6-3, Falcons 4-4
        RAMS 6-2, SEAHAWKS 5-3, Cardinals 4-4

but are any of the winning teams as good as their record?
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          after tonight, 12 NFC teams at .500 or better

NFC
          EAGLES 8-1, Cowboys 5-3, Redskins 4-4
          VIKINGS 6-2, Lions 4-4, Packers 4-4
          SAINTS 6-2, PANTHERS 6-3, Falcons 4-4
          RAMS 6-2, SEAHAWKS 5-3, Cardinals 4-4

but are any of the winning teams as good as their record?
          Hard to believe, but the Rams lead the NFL in points per game and average points differential.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
            Hard to believe, but the Rams lead the NFL in points per game and average points differential.
            ok, the Rams
            they lost to the Redskins by 7, beat the still winless 49ers by 2, lost to the toothless Seahawks by 6

the Redskins are not the answer, either, but they have beaten all 3 teams, crushed the Carr Raiders, battled the Eagles tight twice, and the Chiefs as well

don't see an NFC Super Bowl team yet

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

No, thank a selfish Jerry Jones, Zeke, and a court system that can't decides that home field advantage is something that it should embrace.

All this does is to REALLY screw owners if the suspension is upheld and put in place immediately, because Elliot will be out for the playoff weeks.
              Huh? Why are Jerry Jones and Zeke to blame for this mess??? This is 100% Goodell's fault. The whole thing was botched by the league, which is why it is in the court system now.

Comment

Huh? Why are Jerry Jones and Zeke to blame for this mess??? This is 100% Goodell's fault. The whole thing was botched by the league, which is why it is in the court system now.
                Jerry Jones and Zeke are to blame for stringing this thing along...the Brady case showed that the league PROBABLY has the right to discipline it's players, under the collective bargaining agreement. Take your punishment early, and be there for the stretch run. Maybe even bargain with the league for a reduced suspension if you agreed to mea culpa.

Or...maybe don't manhandle women in the 1st place. Just a thought...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Got to love those garbage time touchdowns. I was down by 1 point after Prater's FG last night. He had Stafford and the Detroit D against my Golden Tate, Aaron Jones and Matt Prater. Green Bay marches down the field only to throw an incomplete pass on the final play of the game. But, wait - a flag! One more untimed down from the 1 yard line - touchdown Packers! -3 points for the Detroit D and a miracle victory for my squad.

Poor bastard who I beat emailed me within minutes with a "Did that just happen?"

Of course, I got the other end of it with Abdullah getting benched for fumbleitis and Stafford hitting Marvin Jones for his 2nd TD of the evening with the game already in hand which gave me a 1 point loss. The fantasy football gods giveth, the fantasy football gods taketh.

Comment

Jerry Jones and Zeke are to blame for stringing this thing along...the Brady case showed that the league PROBABLY has the right to discipline it's players, under the collective bargaining agreement. Take your punishment early, and be there for the stretch run. Maybe even bargain with the league for a reduced suspension if you agreed to mea culpa.

Or...maybe don't manhandle women in the 1st place. Just a thought...
                    I think it's a lot more complicated than that.

I have no idea what happened between those two but there was not enough evidence to prosecute. And the victim made it clear that she intended to blackmail him. When you are accused of a crime is it your assertion that you should just take whatever punishment is prescribed and not put up a defense? Seems odd.

Additionally, the league's main investigator, the only one who talked to the victim, suggested to the commissioner that they not suspend him, but her suggestions were not considered.

Yes, the league has a right to discipline, but I believe there's an understanding that it will be reasonable. It's unclear legally if they can arbitrarily remove an individual's means of employment without cause.

Either way, it's not black and white, and suggesting that the accused should just give up seems arbitrary. And bringing Jones into the mix also seems strange - why exactly should he stop trying to protect his business assets?

Comment

I think it's a lot more complicated than that.

I have no idea what happened between those two but there was not enough evidence to prosecute. And the victim made it clear that she intended to blackmail him. When you are accused of a crime is it your assertion that you should just take whatever punishment is prescribed and not put up a defense? Seems odd.

Additionally, the league's main investigator, the only one who talked to the victim, suggested to the commissioner that they not suspend him, but her suggestions were not considered.

Yes, the league has a right to discipline, but I believe there's an understanding that it will be reasonable. It's unclear legally if they can arbitrarily remove an individual's means of employment without cause.

Either way, it's not black and white, and suggesting that the accused should just give up seems arbitrary. And bringing Jones into the mix also seems strange - why exactly should he stop trying to protect his business assets?
                      I don't know if he is protecting his business assets in this case. Let just say that the league wins and Elliot has to start his appeal. He'll be missing during the most important stretch of the season for Dallas, one that could cost them the playoffs.

And criminal prosecution is a far different things than an employer disciplining an employee, and that's essentially what this relationship is. So that's kind of a moot point in my mind. She had bruising on her in photos that she claims came from Elliot...he says they were from a bar fight she was involved in. I would think that there would be witnesses to such an event. There's also a 911 call to police where the woman claimed that Elliot attacked her multiple times. All in all, not enough for a criminal prosecution, but does it rise to the level of disciplining an employee? I think that level is much lower...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I don't know if he is protecting his business assets in this case.
                        If Jerry Jones is anything, he's a great business man. I'm curious what you are thinking his motivation IS if not to protect the asset?

And criminal prosecution is a far different things than an employer disciplining an employee, and that's essentially what this relationship is. So that's kind of a moot point in my mind.
                        True, other than that they are both working on the same set of evidence.

She had bruising on her in photos that she claims came from Elliot...he says they were from a bar fight she was involved in. I would think that there would be witnesses to such an event.
                        There were witnesses. It has been established she was in a fight. That is not in dispute by anyone to my knowledge. My understanding is that she claims that BOTH occurred.

There's also a 911 call to police where the woman claimed that Elliot attacked her multiple times.
                        Was that before or after she caught him cheating and told him she was going to ruin his career?

All in all, not enough for a criminal prosecution, but does it rise to the level of disciplining an employee?
                        Maybe... but keep in mind that the employer spends a year investigating and the lead investigator, the only individual investigating the matter from the NFL who actually spoke to the witness, suggests not suspending.

I think that level is much lower...
                        It certainly is, the question is how arbitrary can it be. Can they just open it up to where anyone can blackmail a professional athlete and cost them their jobs? Is that reasonable? Where's the line.

It's most certainly not a black and white case... which is why it's still in the courts.

Comment

Of note, http://blacksportsonline.com/home/20...ruth-photos/2/

Comment

If Jerry Jones is anything, he's a great business man. I'm curious what you are thinking his motivation IS if not to protect the asset?

True, other than that they are both working on the same set of evidence.

There were witnesses. It has been established she was in a fight. That is not in dispute by anyone to my knowledge. My understanding is that she claims that BOTH occurred.

Was that before or after she caught him cheating and told him she was going to ruin his career?

Maybe... but keep in mind that the employer spends a year investigating and the lead investigator, the only individual investigating the matter from the NFL who actually spoke to the witness, suggests not suspending.

It certainly is, the question is how arbitrary can it be. Can they just open it up to where anyone can blackmail a professional athlete and cost them their jobs? Is that reasonable? Where's the line.

It's most certainly not a black and white case... which is why it's still in the courts.
                            Again, it's a he said, she said situation. It's not a situation where the league just arbitrarily decided to pick on Elliot, they felt that they had enough reason and evidence to impose the discipline that they decided was warranted. He, and the Cowboys, decided otherwise, and continue to appeal.

Jones, Elliot, and Dallas erred, IMO, by putting this off until it can really hurt the team. If you look at the Brady case, it seems likely to happen, as the federal judge used that as support for her ruling.

Now, you may say that the league and Goodell are overreacting to the situation, but they're unlikely to let any incident of domestic violence, or even the hint of it, go unpunished. The screw-up on the Ray Rice situation, where they waited until video came out of Rice viciously punching his then girlfriend, isn't going to happen again if they can avoid it. Elliot isn't going to lose his job, like Rice did...he'll miss 6 games and then be welcomed back.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

"Jones, Elliot, and Dallas erred, IMO, by putting this off until it can really hurt the team."

huh? if the Cowboys had won games easily, then having Elliott would have been superfluous.
                              but do I think they would have beaten the Chiefs or the Redskins without Elliott, to name just two? no, I don't.

Cowboys sked lightens up down the stretch. if they can get by in those games, too, then manipulating when he gets disciplined could be exactly what puts them in the playoffs.....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                                "Jones, Elliot, and Dallas erred, IMO, by putting this off until it can really hurt the team."

huh? if the Cowboys had won games easily, then having Elliott would have been superfluous.
                                but do I think they would have beaten the Chiefs or the Redskins without Elliott, to name just two? no, I don't.

Cowboys sked lightens up down the stretch. if they can get by in those games, too, then manipulating when he gets disciplined could be exactly what puts them in the playoffs.....
                                Schedule lightens up? They play the Eagles twice, Washington again, Seattle, Oakland in Oakland, and the Giants in NY in December. The only easy picking I see COULD be the Giants, and the Chargers. They could have won 4 games pretty easily without Elliot...SF, NYG, AZ, and either KC or Washington. So they won 5 games instead of 4...

And now, if Elliot is suspended, they'll have to retool during the season. Not the easiest time to do so...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X