No announcement yet.

49ers land Jimmy Garoppolo........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i guess if you look, most teams have a FQB now. maybe just ARI and SF in the NFC. and in the AFC maybe BUF, MIA, NYJ, DEN.. and i guess Jimmy G said he didn't want to goto CLE because of the coaching uncertainty. also, suppose if CLE hired McDaniels as HC. kind of weird 3 of the teams are in the same division as NE.
    Last edited by ; 12-28-2017, 09:26 AM.

Comment

49ers without Garropolo: 1-10 (and 2-14 last season)
      49ers with Garropolo: 5-0
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
        49ers without Garropolo: 1-10 (and 2-14 last season)
        49ers with Garropolo: 5-0
        My buddy today said the Niners may be one of the top 10 teams in football right now, and he’s probably not off.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
          My buddy today said the Niners may be one of the top 10 teams in football right now, and he’s probably not off.
          Yeah, i bet that the NFC playoff teams are glad they don't have to face the 49ers this year.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I can see the NFC West being a SF-LAR battle for a few years. Arizona needs a major rebuild, and Seattle is expected to have a lot of cap casualties in the near future (plus they have shown no aptitude in fixing their horrid O-Line).
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Great article by Seth Wickersham about Jimmy, Billy, and Tommy during their time together in Foxborough. Ok, it's mostly about Billy and Tommy. But, it sheds a little light on Garropolo's time with the Pats.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page...power-struggle

"Brady was offering opinions not only on training but also on lifestyle, writing that he envisioned a world populated with TB12 Sports Therapy Center franchises."

"And Brady is famously unhelpful toward his backups -- or, at least, a threat like Garoppolo. The two quarterbacks were friendly, but Brady -- like Joe Montana to Steve Young and Brett Favre to Aaron Rodgers -- didn't see it as his role to advise Garoppolo, even on matters as trivial as footwork, as nobody had helped him during his climb. Garoppolo played well in 2016, starting in place of the suspended Brady, and Belichick began to see Garoppolo as the final piece of his legacy, to walk away in a few years with the Patriots secure at quarterback. But after Garoppolo was knocked out of his second start because of a shoulder injury, he set up a visit at TB12. As he later told Patriots staffers, when he arrived, the door was locked. He knocked; nobody was there. He called TB12 trainers but nobody answered. He couldn't believe it, Garoppolo told the staffers, and that night ended up visiting team trainers instead. Guerrero vehemently denies ever refusing to see any player, and Garoppolo was eventually treated at TB12 -- but it was two weeks after he showed up for his original appointment, and only after a high-ranking Patriots staffer called TB12 to inquire why Garoppolo hadn't been admitted."

"The meeting ended with a clear mandate to Belichick: trade Garoppolo because he would not be in the team's long-term plans, and then, once again, find the best quarterback in the draft and develop him. Belichick was furious and demoralized, according to friends. But in the end, he did what he asks of his players and coaches: He did his job. One morning in late October, Belichick texted San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan and asked him to call. Belichick had long admired Kyle's father, Mike, who not only had been one of the NFL's smartest tacticians but had also personally defended Belichick to commissioner Roger Goodell during the Spygate scandal. At the combine this past February, Kyle, weeks into the 49ers job after being the offensive coordinator for the Falcons, met with Belichick for hours to learn from his team's humiliating Super Bowl loss. Belichick believed that Garoppolo would excel under Shanahan, and when he and Shanahan connected on the phone, Belichick offered the quarterback for a second-rounder."
              Last edited by madducks; 01-05-2018, 08:26 AM.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I cannot locate it but I swear I read an article last week that said Belichick was pissed at Kraft so he chose to trade Jimmy G (for an underwhelming return) to screw them over/leave the cupboard bare when he and Brady left.

Not sure which version I believe but I believe there is mounting tension in NE. Does this turn into a situation like Jerry V. Jimmy in Dallas?
                Last edited by Vecmizer; 01-07-2018, 08:25 AM.
                Its not what you've got. Its what you give.
                Its not the life you choose. Its the life you live--TESLA

Princess Kate-Kate Marie Hrischuk 9/12/00-1/27/07

Comment

i've been following the Garoppolo news a lot. the idea that the pats traded him because BB is trying to screw the pats and is leaving was originally a conspiracy theory. it's at least 3 weeks old. i don't know when that espn article came out but (i read it) it took the guy long enough to write it. it's a narrative that he went out and tried to find a story for. kind of like when you have a result, and you invent experiments to fit. it's backwards. putting the cart before the horse.

in my posts, i even worded it with that theory in my mind. i probably should've mentioned it. the patriots are like the most secretive organization. which makes me doubt anyone would ever get inside dirt on them. so the guy made the story up to fit a conspiracy narrative that was already making the rounds. they have to do that these days to get ppl to read it.

from my point of view, nobody really wanted Jimmy. and then all of a sudden he's the next GOAT, or Steve Young, or Aaron Rogers, or Tom Brady. .. i don't know where ppl would get that idea.
                  Originally posted by nullnor View Post
                  and you could say SF is getting a second chance to draft TB.
                  :::whistle's innocently:::

Comment

Jimmy Garoppolo has a certain JE NE SAIS QUOI!.. all good quarterbacks have a certain JE NE SAIS QUOI!!

things have changed for potential future QB's. when Micheal Vick was around football camps focused on exercising. nowadays they have ppl like Jeff Christiansen running them. and i think you're seeing the results, when suddenly few teams need a franchise quarterback. i'd rather have Jimmy taking over for Brady someday. but i feel pretty confident BB can find another QB to develop. and that's one of the reasons the pats made the trade. it was a football decision. as i read the article, each time the author made a point, an alternative explanation popped in my mind. and there was a lot of them.

Comment

has the dudes sources come out yet? the parking lot attendant to one of the assistant trainers who is upset with the TB12 guy?

Comment

hope you guys did the nfl.com obligatory playoff challenge this year and picked a lot of patriots and vikings.

i don't know why ppl dislike the pats, every superbowl is close.

Comment

There's no question who Jimmy will be cheering for in the Super Bowl:

"According to Adam Schefter of ESPN, Garoppolo pocketed $79,000 thanks to New England's two playoff wins and AFC title.

He's not done making money, either, as Schefter noted the signal-caller would earn an additional $112,000 if the Patriots win the Super Bowl and $56,000 if they lose."
                          (source: Bleacher Report)

― Albert Einstein

Comment

in addition to being a pretty good QB, Jimmy G is a talker. besides being good on the field and stuff, i really would've enjoyed listening to him in NE the next ten years. after the game, on the radio on monday. SF is pretty blessed to have this guy now. ALL GOOD QUARTERBACKS ARE SMOOTH TALKERS!!

Comment

Five wins may soon translate to nine figures for Jimmy.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports that contract talks between the 49ers and impending free agent Jimmy Garoppolo have "gained significant momentum."
                              Rapoport cautions that there is "still work to be done" over the next several days, but all signs point to Garoppolo avoiding the $23.555 million franchise tag. After three and a half years of holding Tom Brady's clipboard in New England, Garoppolo finally got a chance to start following his midseason trade to San Francisco, leading the Niners to a perfect 5-0 record down the stretch. The 26-year-old's new deal should be worth at least $20 million annually.
                              (Source: NFL.com via Rotoworld)

― Albert Einstein

Comment

And now, just a little over three months later, Jimmy Garoppolo is the highest paid player in NFL history with his five year $137.5 million contract. He will get $42.6 million of that money in 2018. All this after starting just five games!

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X