NFL teams and the National Anthem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NFL teams and the National Anthem...

Who’s ready for a fun fact? A lot has been made of Colin Kaepernick and many other NFL players’ decision to protest the National Anthem prior to games, many people have called for fines, suspensions and even releases of the players. But did you know that until 2009, no NFL player stood for the national […]
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

It is sad to me that so many people talk about the Constitution and our Constitutional rights, but few people know very much about the subject. Over seventy years ago, our Supreme Court held that a person could not be forced to participate in flag salutes or pledges, or other similar expressions of 'patriotism'. The Court stated it thusly:

"If there is any fixed star in our constitutional constellation, it is that no official, high or petty, can prescribe what shall be orthodox in politics, nationalism, religion, or other matters of opinion, or force citizens to confess by word or act their faith therein."

This has been the law of our country for longer than most of us have been alive.
    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

When I was a young boy one of the cliches was that anyone could grow up to be president. The last two elections have proven that out. This is truly the land of opportunity.

Rich powerful men have created the games we love so much. They are used to having their way. Players make sure your shenanigans do not overshadow your ability to make them money.
      Remember when your physical skills decline and you cannot perform to what we the fans expect, we will want you traded, benched, or cut. We will not care what your views are.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        When I was a young boy one of the cliches was that anyone could grow up to be president. The last two elections have proven that out. This is truly the land of opportunity.
        I disagree that anyone can become president. There is no way that someone as poorly read, inexperienced, and crass as Donald Trump would ever get elected if he wasn't also a celebrity billionaire. Also, until this country proves otherwise, over half the population seems shut out from being president (women), and I highly doubt a Muslim, LBGTQ person, or open atheist would get elected either, and based on how much was made of HRCs alleged illness, I doubt anyone with a significant disability would be elected these days (most folks don't think Roosevelt would have won in an age of tv and internet news).

Comment

Yea, that's a very poor cliche considering only white men had been presidents until 2008.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            I disagree that anyone can become president. There is no way that someone as poorly read, inexperienced, and crass as Donald Trump would ever get elected if he wasn't also a celebrity billionaire. Also, until this country proves otherwise, over half the population seems shut out from being president (women), and I highly doubt a Muslim, LBGTQ person, or open atheist would get elected either, and based on how much was made of HRCs alleged illness, I doubt anyone with a significant disability would be elected these days (most folks don't think Roosevelt would have won in an age of tv and internet news).
            The fact that Hillary did not win does not mean she did not have the opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
              Yea, that's a very poor cliche considering only white men had been presidents until 2008.
              Yes that was my point.

Comment

The fact that Hillary did not win does not mean she did not have the opportunity.
                That is true, and as many would be quick to point out, she didn't lose, primarily, because she is a woman; she lost, primarily, because she is HRC. Still, I do think her gender was a factor, and until that glass ceiling is broken, it is hard to argue that truly anyone can be president--over half the population has been excluded from the position to this point. Also, the fact that we followed our first black president with Donald Trump and all that he represents indicates we have regressed.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                  That is true, and as many would be quick to point out, she didn't lose, primarily, because she is a woman; she lost, primarily, because she is HRC. Still, I do think her gender was a factor, and until that glass ceiling is broken, it is hard to argue that truly anyone can be president--over half the population has been excluded from the position to this point. Also, the fact that we followed our first black president with Donald Trump and all that he represents indicates we have regressed.
                  I don't think so. If you are on the ballet you have the opportunity. Woman now have the opportunity as it should be.

Donald Trump did not win because of the color of the outgoing president. If he runs again, he will lose. If the Dems could find a great female candidate to run against him we will have our first female president.

Comment

Donald Trump did not win because of the color of the outgoing president.
                    I won't argue that is the only reason he won, but I guess this is where our disconnect is--I do think Trump won, in part, because of the color of the outgoing president. He was able to insight the reactionary fears of a lot of folks who wanted to swing the pendulum back in this country, and he built his current reputation on the national stage in politics on birtherism, directly challenging the legitimacy of our first black president, implying he wasn't "one of us." Here is an article in the Atlantic that makes the case that Trump was elected precisely because of the color of our outgoing president: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2017/10/the-first-white-president-ta-nehisi-coates/537909/
                    Last edited by Sour Masher; 09-26-2017, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Clearly there were many factors that led to such an awful human being with zero political experience winning the presidency. I agree that racist backlash to Obama and misogyny were two of those factors.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        Clearly there were many factors that led to such an awful human being with zero political experience winning the presidency. I agree that racist backlash to Obama and misogyny were two of those factors.
                        Yes, both white supremacists and men's right activists railing against the feminization of America, pushed by femi-nazies and allowed by weak-willed cucks, can proudly claim to have one of their own in the White House.

One of the things that fascinates me is where those two groups intersect--there was a great article about a white woman and KKK radio host on this issue (I can't recall where I read it). There has always been elements of male superiority in white superiority movements, so white female racists navigate interesting waters in trying to find their place and voice in these hate groups.

Comment

What are you arguing about again?

Are you saying that a woman did not have the opportunity to be President? That a black man did not have the opportunity to be President. That a loud mouth rich playboy did not have the opportunity to be President?

When I was a boy none of these would have been possible. Now they are all possible and happening or happened. Would it really surprise you if a woman won the Presidency? Not me.

But then again this is a discussion about the NL standing or not during the National Anthem.

Comment

I am kind of disappointed that you did not comment on this as it really gets to the bottom of things concerning standing for the anthem (at least in my opinion and why I wrote it).

Rich powerful men have created the games we love so much. They are used to having their way. Players make sure your shenanigans do not overshadow your ability to make them money.
                            Remember when your physical skills decline and you cannot perform to what we the fans expect, we will want you traded, benched, or cut. We will not care what your views are.
                            Last edited by Gregg; 09-26-2017, 01:20 PM.

Comment

I am kind of disappointed that you did not comment on this as it really gets to the bottom of things.

I'll throw my $0.02 in ... of course you are correct, but this just means that their window to express their views is a small one and if they feel so moved they should act quickly or that window will close. So while they have the spotlight, they have the right - and some would argue the obligation - to express their views.
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                              X