No announcement yet.

NFL teams and the National Anthem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it took me time to realize it but telling players to stand is more racism masquerading as patriotism. i don't know why i didn't figure it until now.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
      Using the collective bargaining agreement, Colin Kaepernick has filed a collusion grievance against the NFL.
      Kaepernick is pursuing his claim with his own legal team, but will have the assistance of the NFLPA. Profootballtalk reports Kap isn't just hoping to prove collusion in his case, but "trigger termination of the current Collective Bargaining Agreement" under a clause in the CBA (Article 69, Section 2). It's not debatable that teams have passed on Kaepernick for far worse players. The question is whether he can prove it was deliberate collusion on behalf of the owners.
      (Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com via Rotoworld)
      I would suggest the non signing of kaepernick has little difference with the non-signing of barry.bonds. In fact, barry.bonds was still an extremely valuable hitter and could have produced for an A.L. team at dh where as Kaepernick was courted as a back up (for which HE turned down the offer...this is after opting OUT of a ~$15,000,000 option). Why is there little difference? Because it appears to boil down to ownership not wanting the baggage which comes with the player. As a business owner, isn't this their prerogative?

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
        I would suggest the non signing of kaepernick has little difference with the non-signing of barry.bonds. In fact, barry.bonds was still an extremely valuable hitter and could have produced for an A.L. team at dh where as Kaepernick was courted as a back up (for which HE turned down the offer...this is after opting OUT of a ~$15,000,000 option). Why is there little difference? Because it appears to boil down to ownership not wanting the baggage which comes with the player. As a business owner, isn't this their prerogative?
        Would any of our football fans want Kaepernick as their starting quarterback for now and the future?

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
          A few points to clarify:
          1) He had the choice to opt out, or be cut. He had no chance to stay with the 49ers at that $15M salary - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/t...-his-contract/
          2) The stories that Kaepernick turned down offers to be a backup are also probably not true. They were reported by the Daily Caller and Breitbart, but everyone in his camp denied them, and he has said he would be willing to compete for a job anywhere and at any salary.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Would any of our football fans want Kaepernick as their starting quarterback for now and the future?
            Absolutely...in the right system, he can flourish. He's certainly a better backup that the vast majority of NFL #2's. Think the players in Green Bay would rather have Kaep or Brett Hundley starting?

I think that Tennessee signing Weeden to a GUARANTEED deal is pretty well proof enough that the NFL is blackballing Kaepernick.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              Absolutely...in the right system, he can flourish. He's certainly a better backup that the vast majority of NFL #2's. Think the players in Green Bay would rather have Kaep or Brett Hundley starting?

I think that Tennessee signing Weeden to a GUARANTEED deal is pretty well proof enough that the NFL is blackballing Kaepernick.
              I agree, but collusion is going to be impossible to prove, and I don't actually believe it is happening under the accepted definition. I think teams have just calculated he is not worth signing from a business standpoint, given his talent and business downside. I'm sure some of the friendlier owners have discussed the issue privately, but I don't think it is a league wide conspiracy as much as it is a bunch of old guys who care more about their bottom line and minimizing controversy than they do winning or taking a stand.

Ironically, Trump's stance on all of this might help him, though. He no longer kneels alone, and a lot of those kneeling are shifting the focus from the idea that this is Anti-American, to this being against the America that Trump represents--a darkside version of the America most people want to believe in.

It has shifted my thinking on this issue. Initially, I thought the form the protest took was playing into the hands of those who don't want to talk about the issue of police violence, improper training, and racial fears leading not only to tragic deaths, but entire communities afraid to turn to and trust law enforcement. They get to focus on how this protest is disrespectful to all that is good and wholesome about America (even if that is not the intent of the protesters), which I thought was a strategic mistakes. But now, especially now that Trump has gotten involved, I see that this simple act has gotten the whole country talking about these issues, which is the point of such protests.

Still, I continue to see the underlying issues get brushed aside by a lot of the reporting, and I continue to wonder if there might be a better way to move forward on this issue, in a way that gets more people, especially those who just don't get it at all, like Mike Ditka and Scott Walker, aware of the issues and why they illustrate problems with are delusion that the America Dream is equally accessible to all, but I don't know.
              Last edited by Sour Masher; 10-16-2017, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post

You’re in Minnesota, right? You thinking the Packers players would rather have Kaepernick over a guy who has been on the team for three years and has some knowledge of offense and some chemistry with the players is kind of like when the Democrats make suggestions on how the Republican Party can improve itself and be better. Hundley will be fine, he’s not Rodgers but neither is Keapernick. The Packers offensive scheme is pass heavy and passing hasn’t been one of the better skill sets of Kaepernick. Hundley saw his first real game time action and may have looked bad, but I’ll give a few weeks with the 1s on offense and he’ll be OK. Game planning will be simplified to slow,things down for him.

Hey, by the way, why didn’t the Vikings make that very same bold move a few weeks ago and sign Kaepernick when Bradford got hurt? As a Packers fan, I think the that would have been an excellent move and I’m certain the Viking players would’ve preferred that, over your back up, don’t you?
                Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 10-17-2017, 12:31 AM.
                I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

I have heard at least two reliably conservative people claiming Trump victory over the NFL. Does anyone have a clue what they are talking about?

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                    You’re in Minnesota, right? You thinking the Packers players would rather have Kaepernick over a guy who has been on the team for three years and has some knowledge of offense and some chemistry with the players is kind of like when the Democrats make suggestions on how the Republican Party can improve itself and be better. Hundley will be fine, he’s not Rodgers but neither is Keapernick. The Packers offensive scheme is pass heavy and passing hasn’t been one of the better skill sets of Kaepernick. Hundley saw his first real game time action and may have looked bad, but I’ll give a few weeks with the 1s on offense and he’ll be OK. Game planning will be simplified to slow,things down for him.

Hey, by the way, why didn’t the Vikings make that very same bold move a few weeks ago and sign Kaepernick when Bradford got hurt? As a Packers fan, I think the that would have been an excellent move and I’m certain the Viking players would’ve preferred that, over your back up, don’t you?
                    I would have taken Kaep in a minute, and the Vikings should have looked at it. But there are a couple of crucial differences that you left out...one is that Bradford never went on IR, IR even close to it. They also have a competent backup in Keenum, who has started in the past in the NFL. Not to mention that former starter Teddy Bridgwater is about to come off the IR. Other than those 3 things...

Your kid has played in very few regular season games, tossed 3 interceptions last week, and there's no way to know what he's going to do from here on out.

Pretty sure that a private poll of the players would show that they'd like their odds better with a QB who took a team to the Super Bowl rather than a practice squad guy.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

If it were only up to the “players” and NFL rosters were created through a democratic process! I would bet with equal confidence and conviction that if the players were to hold a vote, which would never happen, they would vote for going after Romo, Favre or ... before Kaepernick. But, then again, your and my opinions don’t really matter because we don’t own an NFL team (in fact, I do have five shares of Green Bay Packers stock!). The notion that Kaepernick lead a team to the Super Bowl Qualifies him as being the right quarterback for all other teams is poppycock. Here are a few names Earl moral, Trent Dilfer, and Jim McMahon to name only a few average QBs that share that on thier resumes. I’m not sure the line would be very long for any of them at this point.

As for the Packers, I’ll trust the current brain trust that have been fairly successful over the past 25 years to make the right choice at QB, than some fan with a political agenda.

What I find mindboggling is that one of the most endangered species on the planet has to be an NFL talent scout. Suddenly in the last 18 months millions upon millions of people have been endowed with the ability to evaluate the talent of football players, particularly one individual former player! Hey, I get it, I sit and yell at my screen every Sunday afternoon asking why my coach isn’t calling a timeout at some strategic point, challenging an obvious incorrect call, or running draw play on 3rd and 18. But that doesn’t make me a head coaching candidate.

Back to the point of this thread, I have no strong feelings either way about players protesting during the anthem. It’s their hard-fought constitutional right to do so. If I recall correctly Kaepernick began protesting at least a week or two before anybody even realized he was doing. Once the news media ceased on this, labeling it something it wasn’t,people became aware, sides were drawn. Long before Donald Trump checked in on the matter, there were people who felt that the protest showed a lack of respect for the flag. Trump fanned those flames intentionally to distract us from other things that are much more important.

He all about Divide and conquer!

Go Pack Go.
                      Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 10-17-2017, 09:14 AM.
                      I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
                        If it were only up to the “players” and NFL rosters were created through a democratic process! I would bet with equal confidence and conviction that if the players were to hold a vote, which would never happen, they would vote for going after Romo, Favre or ... before Kaepernick. But, then again, your and my opinions don’t really matter because we don’t own an NFL team (in fact, I do have five shares of Green Bay Packers stock!). The notion that Kaepernick lead a team to the Super Bowl Qualifies him as being the right quarterback for all other teams is poppycock. Here are a few names Earl moral, Trent Dilfer, and Jim McMahon to name only a few average QBs that share that on thier resumes. I’m not sure the line would be very long for any of them at this point.

As for the Packers, I’ll trust the current brain trust that have been fairly successful over the past 25 years to make the right choice at QB, than some fan with a political agenda. Wanna compare Super Bowl trophy cases?

What I find mindboggling is that one of the most endangered species on the planet has to be an NFL talent scout. Suddenly in the last 18 months millions upon millions of people have been endowed with the ability to evaluate the talent of football players, particularly one individual former player! Hey, I get it, I sit and yell at my screen every Sunday afternoon asking why my coach isn’t calling a timeout at some strategic point, challenging an obvious incorrect call, or running draw play on 3rd and 18. But that doesn’t make me a head coaching candidate.

Back to the point of this thread, I have no strong feelings either way about players protesting during the anthem. It’s their hard-fought constitutional right to do so. If I recall correctly Kaepernick began protesting at least a week or two before anybody even realized he was doing. Once the news media ceased on this, labeling it something it wasn’t,people became aware, sides were drawn. Long before Donald Trump checked in on the matter, there were people who felt that the protest showed a lack of respect for the flag. Trump fanned those flames intentionally to distract us from other things that are much more important.

Divide and conquer!

And, Go Pack Go.
                        Really? Wanna compare Super Bowl Trophy cases? How can I argue with such a well reasoned line of thinking? I'll just retire, ashamed of the empty trophy case of the club that I apparently should owe allegiance to, because I reside in the same state.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Come on! That’s a great line!

Ok I’ll remove it!
                          Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 10-17-2017, 09:12 AM.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Nike is putting their support behind Colin Kaepernick with a bold new ad campaign. It will be interesting to see the reaction from politicians and everyone else.

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/03/new...-it/index.html

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...aign=editorial

Last edited by madducks; 09-04-2018, 12:59 AM.
                            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Here's one reaction from country musician John Rich:

"Our Soundman just cut the Nike swoosh off his socks. Former marine. Get ready @Nike multiply that by the millions."
                              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

This being Nike, I'm sure they engaged in significant market research before launching this campaign and are convinced that the goodwill it buys them with the black community, youth and liberal/progressives will more than counter any blowback/boycott from conservatives.

Comment

Working...
                                X