Trust the Process

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trust the Process

Just curious what the rest of the pen (being optimistic here seeing as how most basketball posts get only a couple of responses at best) think about The Process.

In reaction to the Sixers, the NBA owners are voting on draft reform on Sept 28th which will flatten out the odds to get the top pick. Odds per this recommendation would be:
    Rough Odds of #1 pick:
    1. 14%
    2. 14%
    3. 14%
    4. 12%
    5. 10%
    6. 8%
    7. 7%
    8. 6%
    9. 5%
    10. 4%
    11. 3%
    12. 2%
    13. 1%
    14. 1%

The hope is this takes away the impetuous for grand tanking like the sixers have engaged in the last few years.

I can say personally, I'm a huge fan of the Process and haven't followed the Sixers nearly as closely ever as I have the last 4 years. RJ and a Sixers blog are my first two stops every day. Year in and year out of NBA mediocrity is tedious and nearly impossible to escape. I am so glad they blew it up and were this committed to building a team that could compete for a championship someday rather than just one that is competing for a first round blow out of the playoffs.

I take a bit of umbrage to all the complaints about the sixers tactics, even to the extent of mandating new management, when the Lakers, Knicks and other teams have been just as bad, but through poor choices and incompetence rather than a thought out plan to get better. If you are going to start replacing management, start with the shitty ones, not the ones with a plan (to be shitty?)

Anyway, I'm curious to see how the people outside of my little TTP Sixers bubble see the Process. Inept, disingenuous, a cheapening of the game, a rip off to their fans, or the best and most honest way to build a truly competitive team?
    Last edited by heyelander; 09-18-2017, 05:33 PM.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

I don't pay too much attention to the NBA, but wasn't the Draft Lottery inplemented to stop tanking?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      I don't pay too much attention to the NBA, but wasn't the Draft Lottery inplemented to stop tanking?
      starting in 1985 everyone not making the playoffs had an even chance of the top 3 picks. This was moved to a weighted system in 1990. The worst team got 11 ping-pong balls, the next worst team got 10 etc, down to 1 for the best record not making the playoffs. This was further weighted in 1994 to give the worst team a better chance at #1.

Since 2005, with 30 NBA teams, 16 qualify for the playoffs and the remaining 14 teams enter in the draft lottery. These 14 teams are ranked in reverse order of their regular season record and are assigned the following number of chances

# 250 combinations, 25.0% chance of receiving the No. 1 pick
      # 199 combinations, 19.9% chance
      # 156 combinations, 15.6% chance
      # 119 combinations, 11.9% chance
      # 88 combinations, 8.8% chance
      # 63 combinations, 6.3% chance
      # 43 combinations, 4.3% chance
      # 28 combinations, 2.8% chance
      # 17 combinations, 1.7% chance
      # 11 combinations, 1.1% chance
      # 8 combinations, 0.8% chance
      # 7 combinations, 0.7% chance
      # 6 combinations, 0.6% chance
      # 5 combinations, 0.5% chance

Now they are looking at moving back to less of a weighted system

Comment

I no longer give one iota of a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks of The Process....

I haven't been this excited about a team since the 2010 Phillies!!

4 years of planned suckitude to get to here was absolutely worth it... and planned suckitude with a goal in mind is so much better than the regular mediocrity that so many NBA teams live in.

Comment

Agreed - the Sixers are a very good and fun team to watch. And they've got two more first round picks in this year's draft!

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
            I no longer give one iota of a fuck about what the rest of the world thinks of The Process....

4 years of planned suckitude to get to here was absolutely worth it... and planned suckitude with a goal in mind is so much better than the regular mediocrity that so many NBA teams live in.
            That is a team that could make BIG waves this year. They won 16 in a row without Embiid, and now Fultz is a rising star. And Simmons is a top 10 player in the league, as a rookie...it's crazy good.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post

I wish Otter was here with a foul mouth like yours !
              --------------------------------------
              You know a girl in a hat is just so…vogue.

Comment

I could give a crap about the Sixers and any process that encourages sucking or tanking is garbage. The NBA charges fans a lot of money to go to games, games which the home team is tanking for a few reasons. They could be tanking because they want a better draft pick. they could be tanking to rest their stars for whatever reason. Heck, there are teams that are solid but not good enough to win it all even though they can make a run at the watered down playoffs so they tank as well. We arent talking a couple of games either. There are teams tanking for a few months. Makes for a garbage product that fans are expected to pay top dollar for. No thanks.
                After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  I could give a crap about the Sixers and any process that encourages sucking or tanking is garbage. The NBA charges fans a lot of money to go to games, games which the home team is tanking for a few reasons. They could be tanking because they want a better draft pick. they could be tanking to rest their stars for whatever reason. Heck, there are teams that are solid but not good enough to win it all even though they can make a run at the watered down playoffs so they tank as well. We arent talking a couple of games either. There are teams tanking for a few months. Makes for a garbage product that fans are expected to pay top dollar for. No thanks.
                  The Sixers played hard every night every season, and that's a key reason why the fans stayed with the team. They didn't have much talent in the 2015-16 season, but they hustled and fought for every loose ball, and even unearthed a couple of useful players like Robert Covington and T.J. McConnell. Once they added real stars like Embiid, Simmons, Fultz, etc., they became one of the most exciting teams in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by OaklandA's View Post
                    The Sixers played hard every night every season, and that's a key reason why the fans stayed with the team. They didn't have much talent in the 2015-16 season, but they hustled and fought for every loose ball, and even unearthed a couple of useful players like Robert Covington and T.J. McConnell. Once they added real stars like Embiid, Simmons, Fultz, etc., they became one of the most exciting teams in the league.
                    If thats true, good on them. Nonetheless there are plenty of teams who arent doing it the right way.
                    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I think the Sixers tanked by moving out quality veterans each year and babying their young players with frequent rest days, so yes, the players on the court hustled, but at the same time they were still consciously tanking games by who they kept on the roster and on the court. That said, unless the NBA figures out a way to change the incentives the teams will play to them. And I do love the current Sixers' team, even though old man Wade broke their streak and stole homecourt advantage for the Heat last night. This Sixers team is capable of both winning the East and of losing this round to the Heat, which makes the team particularly engrossing to watch right now. The Cavs and Bucks are the two other teams I view as capable of either winning the conference or losing in the first round.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                        I think the Sixers tanked by moving out quality veterans each year and babying their young players with frequent rest days, so yes, the players on the court hustled, but at the same time they were still consciously tanking games by who they kept on the roster and on the court. That said, unless the NBA figures out a way to change the incentives the teams will play to them. And I do love the current Sixers' team, even though old man Wade broke their streak and stole homecourt advantage for the Heat last night. This Sixers team is capable of both winning the East and of losing this round to the Heat, which makes the team particularly engrossing to watch right now. The Cavs and Bucks are the two other teams I view as capable of either winning the conference or losing in the first round.
                        They definitely shipped out anyone with value who wasn't going to be around for the future in an effort to acquire more draft picks. They also didn't sign a lot of talent that could have helped them be mediocre. It was an all-out front office tank in the mold of what hammer was saying. Not sure about babying the players with rest... there wasn't a lot of talent that needed babying. It's possible they sat some of their rising injured stars longer than was absolutely necessary. Simmons might have been able to play at the end of last year, but why push it? Not sure about Embiid.

Still, as Oakland said, the coach and the players on the court played hard every night. And the churn of cheap players was designed to either identify and develop guys like covington or TJ who have turned out to be very good, and serviceable and cheap respectively or create a market for a journeyman so they could flip him for draft assets. The team is fun to watch because, rather than having the sad-sack loser culture that the national media predicted would result here, they seem to have a lot of fun together and expect to win. I think it's the difference of losing with a 5 year plan to win and just plane losing.

They still own either this year's Lakers first or next year's Kings first pick (possibly both with some ping-pong magic), and multiple second round picks for the next 3 years.

Yep, last night was tough. Very nice D by the Heat, and Wade looked fantastic for a night. Hopefully Embiid back on thursday and it will change the way the Heat were playing D last night.
                        Last edited by heyelander; 04-17-2018, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Also, remember that when Hinkie took over, the 76ers had $17M of the $60M salary cap tied up in Andrew Bynum, whose career was basically over. They also had another $18M tied up in Spencer Hawes, Nick Young, and a 32 year old Jason Richardson. And they had already traded away two future first round picks. So the franchise was in really bad shape, and had very little chance of competing in the short term when Hinkie started The Process.

Comment

Damn, I love Embiid...from Rotoworld.

The 76ers reclaimed home-court advantage on Thursday and got a huge lift from a masked Joel Embiid in his postseason debut. Originally listed as doubtful, the 76ers upgraded him to probable during the afternoon and gave him the all clear about an hour before tip-off. He was his usual dominant self, scoring 23 points with seven rebounds, four assists, one steal, three blocks and three 3-pointers in 30 minutes. Embiid also went on a personal 7-0 run with about five minutes left to put this game out of reach. His mask broke two times and Justise Winslow even broke one himself, but The Process came well prepared. "As far as the mask, Justise stepped on it and tried to break with his hands,” Embiid said. “But little did he know we have about 50 of them. It's going to take much more than that to get me out of these series. I'm going to be a nightmare for them too.”
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

I know we're still very early in a long playoff season, but no one in the East is looking better than the Sixers. It's a total crapshoot, but if I had to pick a team in the East for the NBA Finals today, I'd pick Philly. I expected them to challenge for a playoff spot this year, but there's no way before the year started that I thought they'd sniff the second round.

Comment

Working...
                              X