Weird Draft Strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Draft Strategy

In one of my leagues that drafted last night (10 team, 1/2 pt PPR, 6 pts for ALL TD's), one owner took an interesting approach and drafter 4!! QB's, including 3 in the first 4 rounds. His rationale is that he'll trade most of them but in a league this shallow and only starting 1 QB, I'll be surprised if he gets the interest he thinks he will (especially with the rest of the owners hopefully being smart about calling his bluff and letting him play it out through bye weeks, etc).

His final roster:

QB: Brady, Brees, Russell Wilson, Kirk Cousins

RB: Marshawn, Ingram, Rob Kelley, Terrence West

WR: Cooks (keeper), Sammy Watkins, Garcon

TE: Graham, Martellus Bennett

As I started writing this, he has already traded one of his QB's - Brady and Marshawn for Lesean McCoy and Allen Robinson (which was a weird deal from the other owner's perspective who already had Matt Ryan and Big Ben). Helps fill out his depth a little bit but I think/hope he'll still struggle if he can't unload at least one of his other QBs.

Pure stupidity, but then again one of the other 8 just made an even dumber deal.

Comment

To give you an idea of how horrendous that trade was, CBS just released their "trade value" chart.

McCoy - 35
      Robinson - 9

Lynch - 11
      Brady - 16

And the reason why the guy's draft strategy was ridiculous, Brady is really worth closer to Fournette/Mixon/Miller than McCoy -- and in a league where only 10 QBs are needed to start, even that is a major overpay. But if you're going to get dopes who don't know trade values, then his strategy won't turn out to be so bad.

And doesn't that suck? The guy commits a major fantasy error by drafting 4 QBs in a 10-tm league, but someone dumber than him just let him off the hook. I'd be PO'd.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        To give you an idea of how horrendous that trade was, CBS just released their "trade value" chart.

McCoy - 35
        Robinson - 9

Lynch - 11
        Brady - 16

And the reason why the guy's draft strategy was ridiculous, Brady is really worth closer to Fournette/Mixon/Miller than McCoy -- and in a league where only 10 QBs are needed to start, even that is a major overpay. But if you're going to get dopes who don't know trade values, then his strategy won't turn out to be so bad.

And doesn't that suck? The guy commits a major fantasy error by drafting 4 QBs in a 10-tm league, but someone dumber than him just let him off the hook. I'd be PO'd.
        Yep, that is this league in a nutshell. It's a very very frustrating league (which also allows trade vetos on clearly non-veteoable trades) but I've finished first or second the last 4 years in a row so I maintain calm/patience and try to tune out the rest of the noise.

Comment

The owner has now flipped his recently acquired McCoy and his "3rd string" QB Russell Wilson for ODB and Jay Ajayi.

So, to recap, he has now traded:

Brady, Marshawn and Russell Wilson for Allen Robinson, Odell Beckham and Jay Ajayi

And based on the "trade value" chart:

Brady - 16
          Lynch - 11
          R. Wilson - 11

ODB - 37
          Ajayi - 25
          A. Rob - 9

Oh well.....

Comment

Time to get out of that league.
            Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

Originally posted by Piney Boy View Post
              Time to get out of that league.
              We'll see how this year goes... I've won twice in the last 4 years so it's hard to turn down good money!

Comment

Working...
              X