Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking for good books to read. Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm looking for good books to read. Suggestions?

I'm looking for some books to read. I literally have to read hours a day for my job, so I'm not interested in 300,000 word tomes. What I'm thinking is more like works of fiction, average in length, but I've found that many things I have tried to read just don't keep my attention.

Your basic dystopian society, post-apocalyptic world novel seems to be my cup of tea, except when it gets a little too 'charactery', like Station Eleven or American War. Of course, the protagonist in each of those was a little girl, if I recall correctly, so I should have seen that coming.

I like some elements of Tom Clancy stories, mainly the military operational efficiencies, the team loyalties, and the personal integrity and honor. I don't like the jingoism in some of his stuff. The last thing I read that I liked a good bit was Generation Kill by the journalist who was embedded with a bunch of Recon Marines in Iraq. I realize that wasn't fiction, but that whole war was so surreal as to be fiction-esque, save for the casualties.

Suggestions?
    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Ready Player One. Fun read.

edit: I assume you've read World War Z?
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
      Ready Player One. Fun read.

edit: I assume you've read World War Z?
      Saw the movie. Familiar with zombies. Still a go?
      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Ready Player One looks like a good pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
          Saw the movie. Familiar with zombies. Still a go?
          I actually haven't seen the movie so I can't say. But from what I heard the movie only covers one storyline, the book covers many.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Those look great, if a bit depressing.

Comment

you haven't met heye, have you ...

Comment

I actually haven't seen the movie so I can't say. But from what I heard the movie only covers one storyline, the book covers many.
                It was Brad Pitt, not bad. I'll give the book a try.

Comment

you haven't met heye, have you ...

No, but my wife loved City of Thieves. She kept reading me passages from it. I remember there was a bunch of stuff about eggs.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                    I think this just became my next-read.

Comment

Oh... you're looking for the Happy post-apocalyptic dystopian novels... my bad.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

for a mildly lighter starving in war-torn europe book, try The Book Thief.

I think it's billed as a Young Adult book, so it may be a bit less taxing a read. Hard to say you enjoyed reading a book about people starving to death, but I thought it was very good.

Comment

Calling the Road a bit depressing is like... under-representing it's level of depressingness... a lot.
                          Last edited by heyelander; 08-28-2017, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Wuthering Heights is fantastic.
                            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                            X