Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking for good books to read. Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by revo View Post
    I'm reading:

"Fear" by Bob Woodward, but took a break from it as there's only so much horrifying incompetence one can read about our president before getting nauseous; and,

"Football for a Buck: The Crazy Rise & Crazier Demise of the USFL" by Jeff Pearlman. Yes, another book about that destructive, incompetent moron, but at least it involves one of my favorite things as a kid, the USFL.
    I think I will go to the dentist and ask him to drill a healthy tooth without Novocaine.

Still I am glad you are enjoying them even if I do not understand.

Comment

Last two books I read & very much liked: Essentialism by Greg McKeown & Atomic Habits by James Clear. That last book was particularly enjoyable.
      Current book: Blue Ocean Strategy, Expanded Edition: How to Create Uncontested Market Space and Make the Competition Irrelevant

Comment

I recently read Vox - Christina Dalcher good start/premise but turns a little too made for tv movie hokey.

also Educated - Tara Westover is a solid memoir- and explains a totally foreign to me life

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
          I think I will go to the dentist and ask him to drill a healthy tooth without Novocaine.

Still I am glad you are enjoying them even if I do not understand.
          Did you ever read Public Enemies?

Comment

Endurance by Lansing. Amazing story

Comment

Not yet, but i am going to.

Busy time of year with work. Plus I have been working on my keeper lists for the winter cut down and trying to make trades.

We have our National Sales Meeting at the end of the month. I think I will take that with me.

Comment

"Football for a Buck: The Crazy Rise & Crazier Demise of the USFL" by Jeff Pearlman. Yes, another book about that destructive, incompetent moron, but at least it involves one of my favorite things as a kid, the USFL.
                Go Stars!
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  Go Stars!
                  Some great stories here. Some laugh out loud funny. Very much enjoying this book so far.

Comment

I tried to pick this up before last year's sales meeting, but I waited too long to get it.

My daughters got it for me as part of my Christmas present this year! I am excited to read it. Although I probably will not get to start it until February.

Comment

I finally got around to reading this. I am about 2/3 of the way through it. It is most excellent.

Thank you for recommending it to me.

I have read several biographies about gangsters. I never put the timeline together as this book does. I also thought Bonnie and Clyde were bigger news on the National scale than they were at the time of their spree.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        I finally got around to reading this. I am about 2/3 of the way through it. It is most excellent.

Thank you for recommending it to me.

I have read several biographies about gangsters. I never put the timeline together as this book does. I also thought Bonnie and Clyde were bigger news on the National scale than they were at the time of their spree.
                        It's amazing, one of those books that you feel regret when you're done with it. One of my favorite books ever. Bryan Burrough is a great author.

I'm reading right now "The British are Coming: The War for America, Lexington to Princeton, 1775:1777" by Rick Atkinson. Not as great as his Liberation Trilogy series, but still a very worthy read.

Comment

Forgot about this thread...

Just finished Victor Davis Hanson's "The Soul of Battle". The work on Epaminondas was very interesting. Now doing a re-read of Michael Oren's "Six Days of War" and more research into Mrs Chancellor's grandfather, who was a very early Green Bay Packer player.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

It's amazing, one of those books that you feel regret when you're done with it. One of my favorite books ever. Bryan Burrough is a great author.
                            It is for this reason I am doing a deliberately slow and savoring read. Like eating M&Ms with peanuts one at a time rather than a handful at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              Forgot about this thread...

Just finished Victor Davis Hanson's "The Soul of Battle". The work on Epaminondas was very interesting. Now doing a re-read of Michael Oren's "Six Days of War" and more research into Mrs Chancellor's grandfather, who was a very early Green Bay Packer player.
                              Mmmmm… empanadas.
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I delved into some of my old mystery novels during the last couple of months. The best ones I finished were "The Novels of Dashiell Hammett" and Raymond Chandler's "The Big Sleep." Incredible stuff.
                                Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                                -- William James

Comment

Working...
                                X