Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm looking for good books to read. Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont read books nearly as much as I should, generally only when I'm taking a trip or waiting for appointments. But in the last year or so I read "Sophie's Choice" by William Styron, and, as great as the movie is, the book is even better. Maybe the best book I've ever read.

Right now, I'm reading "Tikal" by Daniel Peters, a historical novel about the Maya.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
      It's amazing, one of those books that you feel regret when you're done with it. One of my favorite books ever. Bryan Burrough is a great author.
      I think most everyone that lives in or near Chicago with even a slight interest in Gangsters knows that Dillinger was shot coming out of the Biograph Theater. But do they know what movie he saw?

I did not until I read this book. The movie was called Manhattan Melody. Staring Clark Gable, Myrna Loy and William Powell. It won an Oscar for Best Story.

Friday was dinner and movie. I suggest this one. She agreed.

It was really well done. I would have picked it in our Black and White movie draft if I had been aware of it.

Funny how sometimes the dots get connected.

Comment

I've been reading a ton of fantasy lately because, well, who needs realism right now. There are SO many good books and series out there. I'd be glad to recommend some of various styles if anyone is interested in that sort of thing.

Comment

I usually tend to read 2-3 books at the same time so I don't get bored with one, and got into one that's great: "Mint Condition: How Baseball Cards Became an American Obsession" by Dave Jamieson. I'm only 5 chapters in, but highly recommended so far.

Comment

I usually tend to read 2-3 books at the same time so I don't get bored with one, and got into one that's great: "Mint Condition: How Baseball Cards Became an American Obsession" by Dave Jamieson. I'm only 5 chapters in, but highly recommended so far.
            Can anyone make sense of this? I do find it strangely fascinating until you watch the videos and they are incredibly boring

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/05/04/br...d-the-pandemic

Comment

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
              Can anyone make sense of this? I do find it strangely fascinating until you watch the videos and they are incredibly boring

https://www.si.com/mlb/2020/05/04/br...d-the-pandemic
              Byron is huge into Layton breaks. I started watching a few of them he's in. If you watch Layton you'll see his name come up often (Byron C).

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                Byron is huge into Layton breaks. I started watching a few of them he's in. If you watch Layton you'll see his name come up often (Byron C).
                Do they auction off the gum too?
                I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Just ordered a copy.

Comment

I read that one a few years ago and loved it. I should have recommended it then.

A few other baseball card books that i enjoyed:

"Card Sharks: How Upper Deck Turned a Child's Hobby Into a High Stakes, Billion Dollar Business" by Pete Williams

"The Card: Collectors, Con Men, and the True Story of History's Most Desired Baseball Card" by Michael O'Keeffe and Teri Thompson

"The Bubble Gum Card War: The Great Bowman and Topps Sets from 1948-1955" by Dean Hanley

I did recommend this one about autographed memorabilia in the "Great Baseball Reads" thread a few years ago. But, it's worth another mention.

"Operation Bullpen: The Inside Story of the Biggest Forgery Scam in American History" by Kevin Nelson

This was my review from 2015: "Operation Bullpen" which tells the story of the biggest, most profitable forgery ring in the annals of American crime and the FBI investigation that eventually broke it up. The forgers sold more than $100 million worth of fake celebrity (mostly baseball) autographs during the 90's. Some of the fakes were even sold on TV shopping channels! The fakes are good enough to fool some of the experts and the majority of them are still owned by collectors and often turn up for sale online to this very day. If you buy autographed memorabilia this is a must read.
                    Last edited by madducks; 07-18-2020, 06:49 AM.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                      "Operation Bullpen: The Inside Story of the Biggest Forgery Scam in American History" by Kevin Nelson

This was my review from 2015: "Operation Bullpen" which tells the story of the biggest, most profitable forgery ring in the annals of American crime and the FBI investigation that eventually broke it up. The forgers sold more than $100 million worth of fake celebrity (mostly baseball) autographs during the 90's. Some of the fakes were even sold on TV shopping channels! The fakes are good enough to fool some of the experts and the majority of them are still owned by collectors and often turn up for sale online to this very day. If you buy autographed memorabilia this is a must read.
                      Uh oh!

Comment

Working...
                      X