Visiting Napa and SF this week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visiting Napa and SF this week

I will be in Napa area/SF with my wife later this week (Wed-Sat).

We are staying in Calistoga Wed & Thu night. We'll be back in SF for a Friday night stay with a 4pm flight out.

Plan is to drive up the coast Wed and take our time getting to Calistoga. Do you have any recommendations for a place to eat along the coast? My wife read about a town named Bodega Bay. Is there anything else to make sure we see along that route?

Are there any recommendations for anything that we shouldn't miss in wine country?

We'll be back in SF on Friday sometime and plan to stay near the airport. We have both been to SF and seen most of the touristy stuff, so we are looking to find some out of the way places to visit. I'm not sure when we will get back into SF on Friday. I guess it depends whether we have gotten to everything we wanted to do in the Valley before Friday.

I appreciate anything you guys can suggest.

Last year we spent time in the northern sonoma/russian river area ... visited some great smaller wineries. If you want the names of a few let me know, I'll try to dig a few up.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Stay in hotel in callestoga that has a natural hot spring
      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Bodega Bay is nice but that is nowhere near being on the way to Calistoga. Calistoga is pretty inland.

Bouchon, the counter-service place connected to French Laundry, is worth stopping by. Meadowood or French Laundry itself if you can afford it and if they have openings. We go to Calistoga a lot and there actually aren't that many interesting restaurants in town. There's a good BBQ place at the beginning of the main street when you come into town, and the restaurant at Indian Springs (Sam's) has a good hamburger, and Cafe Sarafornia is good for breakfast.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
          Bodega Bay is nice but that is nowhere near being on the way to Calistoga. Calistoga is pretty inland.

Bouchon, the counter-service place connected to French Laundry, is worth stopping by. Meadowood or French Laundry itself if you can afford it and if they have openings. We go to Calistoga a lot and there actually aren't that many interesting restaurants in town. There's a good BBQ place at the beginning of the main street when you come into town, and the restaurant at Indian Springs (Sam's) has a good hamburger, and Cafe Sarafornia is good for breakfast.
          Yeah, I know it's out of the way, but we are in no hurry to get to the hotel. I just wanted to take a scenic drive up the coast on the way in. I also heard that the drive between Bodega Bay and Santa Rosa area is very nice.

Thanks for the restaurant tips. Much appreciated.

Fresno,
          We are staying at the Bergson. I don't think they have a hot spring, but they do have a spa and there are plenty of hot springs in the area from what I have read.
          Thanks.

Comment

REVIVING thread

should have posted this before I even booked a plane ticket but...

going to a wedding in Napa area next month. the local wedding hosts didn't even recommend Peanuts Airport in Santa Rosa, which I just found out exists.

visitNapaValley.com tells me that it's about an hour from Napa - while SF, SJ, and OAK are about 2 hours, and SAC is about 1.5 hours.

looks like I could have spent an extra 3-4 hours with a layover to save 1 hour of driving (and the plane ticket costs more). I think I figured out why the local hosts didn't bother mentioning it.

my sister got an airbnb for her large brood in a Bumfock Junction somewhere way out, so I'll stay there Thurs nite, then rack up an insane amount of Marriott points the next 2 nights. there's some sort of wine festival that weekend, so there are no appropriately-priced accommodations within a half-marathon of civilization, it seems.

have to rent a car, to get to my destinations. am not much of a wine drinker, but when in Rome - so maybe some Ubers as well. my impression, when you visit NapaValley, your wallets take a beating like a man.

p.s. my niece (whose brother is getting married) interned at Meadowwood, mentioned above, after finishing up with the CIA there (no, she's a pastry chef). one of those TV celebrity chefs tried to hire her, but she was told all they do is steal your original ideas and then get rid of you. my niece is big on the "fusion" trends - was working at the Chicago Downtown Marriott for a few years (where I have spent at least 6 months of my life over dozens of visits) before moving on recently.

finally, both she and her brother - who is interning at Stanford - are 100 pct Irish/American.

which seems more strange: an Irish-American doctor, or an Irish-American pastry chef?
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              which seems more strange: an Irish-American doctor, or an Irish-American pastry chef?
              I'll need a check-up and a tart before I can answer.
              “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve 2.0 View Post
                I'll need a check-up and a tart before I can answer.
                Can an Irish-American tart do my check-up?
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                  Can an Irish-American tart do my check-up?
                  I can't believe you didn't thank me for the set up on that one.

Comment

I can't believe you didn't thank me for the set up on that one.
                    I gave you rep points!

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                      I gave you rep points!
                      Well.....so you did......I didn't even know we had those.

Comment

Well.....so you did......I didn't even know we had those.

Comment

I see that! Now, I think we should run the whole concept into the ground!

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                            REVIVING thread

have to rent a car, to get to my destinations. am not much of a wine drinker, but when in Rome - so maybe some Ubers as well. my impression, when you visit NapaValley, your wallets take a beating like a man.
                            Neither of us are wine drinkers either, but this was one of our favorite trips. I found a couple of wines I really liked. The area is beautiful and some of the wineries are amazing. Castello di Amarosa and Sterling have great wine and the grounds are incredible. The castle tour at the Castello is worth the price. Very nice places.

Calistoga was a nice little town. Very quiet and easy to walk in short order. There are a couple of museums and a few wineries in town.

Comment

Working...
                            X