2K23: Colorado Rockies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
    It's Trevor's Story's fault. He was supposed to be a placeholder until Brendan Rodgers arrived, but then he went and transformed himself into an elite shortstop instead.
    I can see the frustration with the Rockies for signing Desmond to that long term deal. Murphy is a pro and getting him for 2 years at 12 per seems like a great deal.
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      We'll have to agree to disagree on this front. I don't believe that the handling of the young guys was either logic or consistent. Fair it may have been...

You can also point to Tapia as a player who's been sent up and down, sometimes with reason, sometimes without. Would the team have been better off just giving either Tapia or Dahl consistent PT until they proved that they either had the goods or didn't? Now, your kind of stuck with a bit of a logjam with 2 older players who MIGHT not have been needed (Desmond and Murphy) if the younger guys had been consistently developed. Just my opinion...
      When Tapia hit in 2017, and they had no better options in LF, they played him. When he failed to hit in 2018, and they had better options for their playoff push, they didn't play him. His playing time this year has correlated directly to his performance. When he has hit better than Desmond, he has played. When he hasn't, he's gone back to the bench.

Same for Dahl. When he hit in 2016 and their were no better options, he played. Then injury plagued him - he missed all of 2017, and about half of 2018. When he demonstrated consistency at the end of 2018, he made believers of the team, and they committed to him as their full time left fielder this year. Sure, they wanted it to happen earlier, but he simply wasn't able to keep himself on the field and produce.

The team is in competent hands now. The players who should be playing are playing. Viewing the organization through the lens of previous regimes is a mistake that fantasy owners shouldn't be making in 2019.
      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        I can see the frustration with the Rockies for signing Desmond to that long term deal. Murphy is a pro and getting him for 2 years at 12 per seems like a great deal.
        Yeah, the Desmond signing was a bit of a head scratcher at the time - it's fair to question that one. Relevant to this discussion: Desmond was signed to replace Mark Reynolds at first base, so he wasn't blocking any obvious prospects in the pipeline. It was an unusual move that hasn't worked out so far, although this year is the first time his swing has looked right since he broke his hand to open 2017. His poor showing in 2017 and the first half of 2018 led directly to the Murphy signing.
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• last 3 weeks, Desmond: .381-4-16-13-1
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            last 3 weeks, Desmond: .381-4-16-13-1
            .465 babip to go with that one but he's certainly looking a lot better.

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
              It's Trevor Story's fault. He was supposed to be a placeholder until Brendan Rodgers arrived, but then he went and transformed himself into an elite shortstop instead.
              You have to admire Story rise to this stage. He has struggled at every stop on the way up but always improved himself the following season. He may be possibly the best SS in the MLB.

Comment

• Rockies placed Trevor Story on the 10-day injured list with a right thumb sprain.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                  Rockies placed Trevor Story on the 10-day injured list with a right thumb sprain.
                  WHEW.

From the Denver Post article at https://www.denverpost.com/2019/06/2...y-injury-list/ -

All-star shortstop Trevor Story is headed to the injured list with a sprained right thumb, but extensive tests on Thursday revealed no major structural damage. Still, he could miss at least two weeks of playing time.

“It’s a relief for me, for sure,” said Story, who jammed his thumb Wednesday night while sliding into second base as he tried to stretch a single into a double. “I was obviously scared, but it could have been a lot worse. I’ll try to find something positive in that. But it’s still going to be tough, no matter how much time I miss.”

Comment

• Here is my frustration with the Rockies. Rodgers gets called up. Hampson gets called up. Who starts at SS last night? The great Valaika, who hit .156 last year and is at a robust .050 this year. Why is this dude on the roster?
                    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                      Here is my frustration with the Rockies. Rodgers gets called up. Hampson gets called up. Who starts at SS last night? The great Valaika, who hit .156 last year and is at a robust .050 this year. Why is this dude on the roster?
                      Rodgers was hurt and just placed on the DL so that was likely the reason Valaika got the start. Of course Hampson could have gotten the start also.

Comment

• Originally posted by pitbull View Post
                        Rodgers was hurt and just placed on the DL so that was likely the reason Valaika got the start. Of course Hampson could have gotten the start also.
                        yea, I saw that afterwards. I still dont understand why Valaika is on a roster. His hitting is gross.

Comment

• The Rockies value character. Or religion or something. Maybe hustle?

Comment

• Grey from Razzball

"Brendan Rodgers – Hit the IL. He injured himself doing a double-take at the Rockies lineup card."

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                              Grey from Razzball

"Brendan Rodgers – Hit the IL. He injured himself doing a double-take at the Rockies lineup card."
                              That’s a good one by Grey!

Comment

• Rockies DFA Mark Reynolds.
                                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X