2K23: Colorado Rockies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
    not playing much? Rodgers played 2 of the 3 games this weekend.
    I thought he played 2 out of 4 - I stand corrected

and where did Hampson go?

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post

that I dont know.
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post

He hasn't played since May 16. Why? I have no idea. Since I just waived him I truly expect him to go on a tear get called up and then perform what I was hoping he would do when I kept him for this season. Why? Because that is the way this universe works.

Comment

• The Rockies option Brendan Rodgers to AAA.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
            The Rockies option Brendan Rodgers to AAA.
            And THAT"S why I didn't promote him from my minors...Colorado plays too many head games with their kids, IMO.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Mcmahon, Tapia and Hampson, just to name a few

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                And THAT"S why I didn't promote him from my minors...Colorado plays too many head games with their kids, IMO.
                I could swear I made this point earlier (I own Hampson), only to be told by one of our Rockies’ homers here that they don’t do that anymore.

Comment

• Sunday's Game at Coors Field delayed...

Thomas Harding

@harding_at_mlb

A waterline has broken, or so I am told. All I know is the warning track in foul ground in right is a mess.

3:29 PM - Jun 16, 2019
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Colorado Rockies

@Rockies

Water pooling in the right field foul area caused a delay in today's game.

The game has resumed.

3:43 PM - Jun 16, 2019

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                      I could swear I made this point earlier (I own Hampson), only to be told by one of our Rockies’ homers here that they don’t do that anymore.
                      Hampson and Rodgers were clearly outperformed by Ryan McMahon, so the organization believed it was better for their development to get full-time AB's in AAA than to serve as a bench players for the major league team at this time. It sounds like perfectly logical talent management to me, so I'm not sure where the "head games" come into it. Lol
                      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                        Hampson and Rodgers were clearly outperformed by Ryan McMahon, so the organization believed it was better for their development to get full-time AB's in AAA than to serve as a bench players for the major league team at this time. It sounds like perfectly logical talent management to me, so I'm not sure where the "head games" come into it. Lol
                        IMO, because they don't seem to give young players any sort of consistent AB's...they play for a couple of day, get hot, and then sit for a while. Seemingly without rhyme or reason. And they've done this with McMahon, Dahl, Hampson, and now with Rodgers. I agree that young players need steady AB's, so don't call them up unless you intend to give them said AB's. Now, if they're filling in for an injured player, clearly a different story.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          IMO, because they don't seem to give young players any sort of consistent AB's...they play for a couple of day, get hot, and then sit for a while. Seemingly without rhyme or reason. And they've done this with McMahon, Dahl, Hampson, and now with Rodgers. I agree that young players need steady AB's, so don't call them up unless you intend to give them said AB's. Now, if they're filling in for an injured player, clearly a different story.
                          The scouting, development, and management of young players was faulty under the previous regime. It is not faulty now.

We have a great problem - a logjam of infield talent that we weren't expecting. When that happens on a competitive team, players who are actually producing are going to get the nod over youngsters we imagine to be deserving. As it should be. Which All-Star infielder should have sat last year during the Rockies' playoff run to give these guys major league at-bats? Nolan Arenado? Trevor Story? DJ Lemahieu? They tried to find at-bats for McMahon - they sent him to the plate 202 times last year, and he responded by hitting .232. Even so, they declined to re-sign Lemahieu this year in order to give Mac and the others a chance to win the second base job. I don't buy that they're denying these guys opportunities they've earned.

This team is competing for the playoffs. They can't afford to give AB's to inferior players when the competition at the position is outperforming them. David Dahl was given plenty of opportunities to win a role the team in years past. He failed every time, and when he did, he was sent down to get healthy and work on his game. When he proved he was ready, they benched Carlos Gonzalez and gave Dahl the job. The others are working through this process now. The organization's handling of these players has been logical, consistent, and fair, IMO.
                          "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                          "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

Comment

The scouting, development, and management of young players was faulty under the previous regime. It is not faulty now.

We have a great problem - a logjam of infield talent that we weren't expecting. When that happens on a competitive team, players who are actually producing are going to get the nod over youngsters we imagine to be deserving. As it should be. Which All-Star infielder should have sat last year during the Rockies' playoff run to give these guys major league at-bats? Nolan Arenado? Trevor Story? DJ Lemahieu? They tried to find at-bats for McMahon - they sent him to the plate 202 times last year, and he responded by hitting .232. Even so, they declined to re-sign Lemahieu this year in order to give Mac and the others a chance to win the second base job. I don't buy that they're denying these guys opportunities they've earned.

This team is competing for the playoffs. They can't afford to give AB's to inferior players when the competition at the position is outperforming them. David Dahl was given plenty of opportunities to win a role the team in years past. He failed every time, and when he did, he was sent down to get healthy and work on his game. When he proved he was ready, they benched Carlos Gonzalez and gave Dahl the job. The others are working through this process now. The organization's handling of these players has been logical, consistent, and fair, IMO.
                            We'll have to agree to disagree on this front. I don't believe that the handling of the young guys was either logic or consistent. Fair it may have been...

You can also point to Tapia as a player who's been sent up and down, sometimes with reason, sometimes without. Would the team have been better off just giving either Tapia or Dahl consistent PT until they proved that they either had the goods or didn't? Now, your kind of stuck with a bit of a logjam with 2 older players who MIGHT not have been needed (Desmond and Murphy) if the younger guys had been consistently developed. Just my opinion...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Great take. I agree. While its ideal to give kids months to figure it out on the big league level, teams in the hunt arent afforded that luxury. In Rodgers case (and I am a Rodgers owner) he didnt seize the opportunity and McMahon has been hitting of late. Rodgers isnt hurt in the long term and the same goes for Hampson, who didnt do a darn thing in the bigs.

Look around. there are a lot of teams looking for room to promote their kids but you cant just wish some of your vets and the contracts away. At least in the Rockies case, the vets are hitting and deserve to be playing over Rodgers.
                              After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                                Great take. I agree. While its ideal to give kids months to figure it out on the big league level, teams in the hunt arent afforded that luxury. In Rodgers case (and I am a Rodgers owner) he didnt seize the opportunity and McMahon has been hitting of late. Rodgers isnt hurt in the long term and the same goes for Hampson, who didnt do a darn thing in the bigs.

Look around. there are a lot of teams looking for room to promote their kids but you cant just wish some of your vets and the contracts away. At least in the Rockies case, the vets are hitting and deserve to be playing over Rodgers.
                                It's Trevor Story's fault. He was supposed to be a placeholder until Brendan Rodgers arrived, but then he went and transformed himself into an elite shortstop instead.
                                Last edited by senorsheep; 06-17-2019, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X