No announcement yet.

2K23: Colorado Rockies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

JGray was dominant Saturday. Has anyone bought into a dynamic last two months?
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

I grabbed him over Carlos Rodon. We will see

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        JGray was dominant Saturday. Has anyone bought into a dynamic last two months?
        Oddly, Gray wouldn't have been called up for that start had Senzatela and Bettis not gone to the DL with simultaneous injuries. So, in reality, the club didn't think he was ready. He had not pitched particularly well in AAA prior to his emergency call-up, so I'm not sure I would consider him fixed. If anything, I'm a little concerned that his rush back to the majors might have cut short the work he still needed to do in Albuquerque. I think there's a good chance he will get right at some point this season, but I wouldn't bet the farm that he's there yet.
        "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
        "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
        "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

Trevor Story going for an MRI on his elbow, might need TJ.

#Rockies’ Trevor Story facing potential UCL damage in right elbow, sources tell The Athletic. Exact diagnosis not yet known.
          In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

No ligament damage, day to day

Comment

If I were a voter in the NL Cy Young award, Freeland would get at least a #2 from me. What he's done this year, given his home park - and in Arizona - is nothing short of amazing.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                If I were a voter in the NL Cy Young award, Freeland would get at least a #2 from me. What he's done this year, given his home park - and in Arizona - is nothing short of amazing.
                He has been great, but that seems a little high - you have him over Scherzer and Nola?

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post
                  He has been great, but that seems a little high - you have him over Scherzer and Nola?
                  Yes, I do. Nothing against either, but they're not pitching in Colorado for half their games and Arizona for another 10% or so.

Comment

Amem. Picked him up for $7 thinking we'll see how it goes. Keeper for next season. It has been amazing.

Comment

Yes, I do. Nothing against either, but they're not pitching in Colorado for half their games and Arizona for another 10% or so.
                      I hear you, but for me that only goes so far. Freeland has a 3.71 FIP. He's been great but he's not in the class of Scherzer or Nola at this point.

Looking at park factors for runs, Colorado is at 1.26, Washington is 1.14, Philly is at 1.07, and Arizona is 1.05.

Giving Freeland a 15-20% handicap doesn't span the difference in results.
                      Last edited by Ken; 09-24-2018, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Understood. I think the recovery issues inherent to the higher altitude and park factor inconsistencies easily spans the difference.

Comment

Understood. I think the recovery issues inherent to the higher altitude and park factor inconsistencies easily spans the difference.
                          Interesting topic, thank you for bringing it up. I'm interested in digging deeper.

What metrics are you seeing significant differences in when pitching for Colorado? Looking at those who have pitched both for the Rockies and other club in recent years:

Tyler Chatwood went from the Rockies to the Cubs and he's been terrible this year.
                          Jordan Lyles went from the Astros to the Rockies in 2014, and while bad in both places, overall he was the same or better as a Rockie (at least until he hit the wall in 2017)
                          Jhoulys Chacin was successful both as a Rockie and afterwards, although he had a rough year both in COL and LAA/ATL

Biggest issue is that the Rockies don't seem to have many good pitchers to compare. So perhaps the data set is not letting us see the real differences.
                          Last edited by Ken; 09-24-2018, 02:14 PM.

Comment

Chacin's an interesting study. Two of his three good years in Colorado, he had very pronounced splits where he pitched much better away than home. One year (2011), surface stats are pretty similar.

Jon Gray's talent and pedigree point me toward this being true, and his strengths do not play well in Colorado, IMO. Other FA pitchers (Hampton comes to mind) collapsed completely in Colorado.

Comment

Jon Gray's talent and pedigree point me toward this being true, and his strengths do not play well in Colorado, IMO.
                              Surprisingly, Gray has been slightly better at home than on the road in his career.

Comment

Sheep,

You're welcome.

Sincerely,

The Brewers.

Comment

Working...
                                X