2K19: Jung Ho Kang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K19: Jung Ho Kang

Kind of quiet today...so here's another 2K17 - Kang. Kind of interesting because he is apparently a total asshole who beats women (allegedly) and drives drunk (definitely), but I guess you dont lose any points for that until he gets slapped with a suspension (quite possible).

Beyond the assholishness (oxford dictionary here I come), Kang's projections are pretty safe/standard across the board - .260ish with 20ish HR - which is what he managed to do while missing all of April and some of August last year, which means it could be easy to project improvement on those numbers, barring suspension. Losing SS probably takes some of the luster off.

So is it bad karma to draft this scummo?

No not bad karma. Probably a bad decision if you think you can win this year. Not a bad gamble (if he is cheap enough) for a rebuilding team.

He is going to get suspended. Maybe only 30 games, but could be 50.

I traded my 15B Kang for a $25A Bruce (which I am in the process of trying to trade). In our league Bruce is fairly priced.

Comment

I think I am off Kang this year. Between his offenses both here and abroad, he could be suspended for awhile and his focus may not be as sharp due to his personal issues. A rebuilding team getting him on a discount is ideal.
      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
        I think I am off Kang this year. Between his offenses both here and abroad, he could be suspended for awhile and his focus may not be as sharp due to his personal issues. A rebuilding team getting him on a discount is ideal.
        Yeah, gotta agree. I'd take him as a late round or couple of buck flyer only.

Comment

In my shallower mixed leagues, I'm trying to gauge how to get in for him just ahead of those with Revo's opinion. He's high risk, and Hammer could well be right, his focus might not be there. But if I have a bench slot to hold him in for a couple months, I'm going to go get him...if I can't get Eugenio Suarez instead.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Is there any precedent for MLB punishment for multiple DUIs? I know it's his third, but I can't remember anyone getting punished for it by MLB. Any other examples?

Comment

I think it depends on the legal punishment. If he goes to jail for 30-60 days, he'll serve any suspension then.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                I think it depends on the legal punishment. If he goes to jail for 30-60 days, he'll serve any suspension then.
                Agreed. Just wondering any other players who got hit with a suspension by MLB for DUI. If he only gets what the prosecutors asked for (a fine), the only one I can think of is Jeffress, but I think that was team discipline, not MLB.

Comment

I'm definitely off of him this year. I agree with Hammer. Single digit NL only at best, and probably not even high single digits.

Comment

I don't know, I tend to think he'll be fine. I don't think he's going to face much MLB discipline if any, and I don't think he's going to get any jail time (we'll find out tomorrow). He was barely over the legal limit in the States (I think he had like a 0.084), but South Korea has lower limits. Honestly, I think the bigger issue for the court was the lying and the switching with his friend in the driver seat.

I suspect he is going to just get a steep fine tomorrow and then he'll report shortly thereafter. I haven't seen any precedent for significant MLB action for multiple DUI's, so I don't see him getting a 30-50 game suspension. I agree with the baseline that Pauly posted, but I think there's definitely room for improvement. Even if he did get 30 game suspension, he could still play significantly more games than last year, when he only played 103.

Of course, I could just be a delusional Kang owner. You can't discount this possibility in the slightest.

Comment

Doesnt he also have a sexual assault charge hanging over his head?
                      After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                        Doesnt he also have a sexual assault charge hanging over his head?
                        I thought I read that the alleged victim has not been cooperative which basically means it's going to be impossible to charge him with anything. Definitely seems like he's not the nicest guy in the world.

Comment

Kang was sentenced today, given 8 months, but the sentence was suspended for 2 years. This should allow him to get to Pirate camp in the next couple of days...

He can avoid any jail time if he keeps clean to the nest 2 years.
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            Kang was sentenced today, given 8 months, but the sentence was suspended for 2 years. This should allow him to get to Pirate camp in the next couple of days...

He can avoid any jail time if he keeps clean to the nest 2 years.
                            Better than getting blown to smithereens by anti-aircraft guns!

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              Better than getting blown to smithereens by anti-aircraft guns!
                              Well, don't be hasty. MLB has not decided on its punishment yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X