2K18: Yasiel Puig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K18: Yasiel Puig

He started strong and ended OK (iirc) - that was the bread and we all know the brown stuff that was in the middle. Just wondering if anyone really thinks they can pin a decent prediction on this guy for 2K17.

Ive been burned two years running, I can make it a third year at $20 or cut him loose and see how much he goes for on draft day (NL only, leaning that way). But part of me still wants to hold onto the magic.

He's scary. In an NL-only, for $20, I'd probably toss him back. If I liked him to rebound (and I sorta do), I'd target him in the low-$20s and be relieved if someone else grabbed him at $30, and stoked if I landed him at $18. No need to keep that sort of risk.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
      He's scary. In an NL-only, for $20, I'd probably toss him back. If I liked him to rebound (and I sorta do), I'd target him in the low-$20s and be relieved if someone else grabbed him at $30, and stoked if I landed him at $18. No need to keep that sort of risk.
      Yeah, I agree with this.

Plus, the Dodger OF is crowded and we all know they wanted to get rid of him, so that's a double risk -- if he starts strong, do they deal him? And if he doesn't does he just lose PT?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        Plus, the Dodger OF is crowded and we all know they wanted to get rid of him, so that's a double risk -- if he starts strong, do they deal him? And if he doesn't does he just lose PT?
        I think the Dodgers genuinely want him to work out so they can keep him. I don't think they want to move him, unless it's absolutely the last resort. And if they DO move him because he's sucking, it'll likely be to a rebuilder for some stud in return and they'll eat the contract, and frankly, a new environment may do wonders for him.

A lot of this has to do with how Bellinger pans out in the the next months:
        1) If his bat stays on the current trajectory, and he can play the OF well enough, Puig is a block that needs to be moved.
        2) If his bat stays on the current trajectory, and he has to stay at 1B, they still need Puig, and Gonzalez becomes the block.
        3) If his bat regresses, they'll need Puig.

I think Puig is a nice calculated risk for 2017, but don't go all in.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
          I think many think this way. I know I do. All it takes is two believers at auction to take me out of the running.

I hope he lasts until mid to late rounds. Then again I wonder what would happen if I said $19 in the first 3 or 4 throw outs. Would there be crickets and I get him or does he then go for more than I am willing to pay.

Man I love this game.

Comment

Projecting him...forget it. The combination of great talent, poor health, and periodic mental blackouts means the width of outcomes is huge. I'd toss him back in at $20.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Is someone really going to bid more than $20? Why not see if you can save a few bucks if you like him?

Comment

in my NL 5x5 10 owners, an owner is trying to give him away at $11. I want to bite on it but cannot bring myself to. He has been so frustrating.
                After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                  in my NL 5x5 10 owners, an owner is trying to give him away at $11. I want to bite on it but cannot bring myself to. He has been so frustrating.
                  I'd probably jump at that. At that depth, $11 is the "average" cost of a player. Will he give average stats? I feel confident he will do at least that. His problem is not really that he produces zero stats, it's just that he's not living up to his billing, or in our terms, his cost. But at $11? There so little risk right there.

Comment

Agree - I'd roll the dice on him at 11. Not at 20, but definitely at 11.
                    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

no brainer in NL only
                      "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                        no brainer in NL only
                        I agree, although it really comes down to risk tolerance, and the make up of the rest of your roster. If you have the best team in the league, maybe you pass, even at that price. But just about anyone else--that potential value is too tempting.

The outcomes for Puig are so wide. I could see him earning 8 or 28 just as easily.

Comment

I'll agree with the others. In a NL-only league you'll find just as much risk with other players that go at that price, but few with as high of a ceiling as Puig .... and many with a lower floor. Inquire about what he wants for Puig .... if you say he's trying to give him away you could possibly get Puig for a non-keeper.
                          "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
                          "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
                          WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
                          PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

Just to add to the Crowded-Dodger-Outfield angle to this thread...

From HQ today:

While these are all workable solutions, none would move the needle from a fantasy standpoint nearly as much as the Dodgers turning to their #1 prospect Cody Bellinger (1B, LA). Ranked #24 on the 2017 HQ100 and garnering a 9D rating in the Minor League Baseball Analyst, Bellinger has impressive power from the left-hand side and has been steadily improving his plate approach in the minors, upping his bb% to 12% last year. He profiles as a plus defender at 1B, but manager Dave Roberts has already said that he has the ability to play all three OF positions, giving Bellinger a few paths to playing time should he get off to another strong start at Triple-A.

Comment

Bellinger looks like he is going to be a very good player, and the Dodgers would be wise to find him a line up spot in 2017. But not at the expense of Puig--at least not yet. I'd much rather try to get Belinger and Puig in the line up at the expense of Toles.

Comment

Working...
                              X