Democratic Party 2017 and beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Democratic Party 2017 and beyond

I'm curious what the Democrats on the board see as the future of the Democratic Party, and how you see the Sanders supporters fitting in. I've linked a couple articles I've read about this recently.

---------------------------------------------
    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
    George Orwell, 1984

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    I'm curious what the Democrats on the board see as the future of the Democratic Party, and how you see the Sanders supporters fitting in. I've linked a couple articles I've read about this recently.

https://theintercept.com/2017/02/09/...eed-attention/
    The status quo honks are prepared to go down in flames rather than move to the left, where the future of the party lies.

Comment

They need a simpler message. I know for a lot of the staunch conservatives I grew up with back in Louisiana, so much of it comes down to welfare -- they're convinced that the Dems waste money on welfare for lazy people. And that alone makes them biased toward drinking whatever koolaid the GOP serves. Throw in a side of "pro-life" for the anti-abortion 1-issue voters (and it feels to me like there are tons of them) and I can't see how they make inroads without a major change in message.

The fact is, the masses need a villain, and for those folks, Dems are the villain. They need to push hard on the anti-corruption and economic imbalance messages, but in language people can relate to. Vilify congress and teach people that much more of their tax money is wasted on corporate welfare.

Now you just need someone with charisma to deliver that message. As much as I like Elizabeth Warren, she's not it.

Comment

democrats have gone so far left that I cant relate to them in any way.
        "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
          Insert "Republicans" and "right" and that's me.

We can't be friends anymore. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
            I'm really curious as to how the Democrats have "gone so far left".
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by Jefe View Post
              They need a simpler message. I know for a lot of the staunch conservatives I grew up with back in Louisiana, so much of it comes down to welfare -- they're convinced that the Dems waste money on welfare for lazy people. And that alone makes them biased toward drinking whatever koolaid the GOP serves. Throw in a side of "pro-life" for the anti-abortion 1-issue voters (and it feels to me like there are tons of them) and I can't see how they make inroads without a major change in message.

The fact is, the masses need a villain, and for those folks, Dems are the villain. They need to push hard on the anti-corruption and economic imbalance messages, but in language people can relate to. Vilify congress and teach people that much more of their tax money is wasted on corporate welfare.

Now you just need someone with charisma to deliver that message. As much as I like Elizabeth Warren, she's not it.
              And I think we all know what that is code for.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                And I think we all know what that is code for.
                We do, and I agree, but you can't get anywhere telling them that. They'd deny it all day long. If you're going to bring them around you've got to change the conversation.

Comment

We do, and I agree, but you can't get anywhere telling them that. They'd deny it all day long. If you're going to bring them around you've got to change the conversation.
                  The part in bold is a really good comment. Calling people bigots or labeling them a "basket of deplorables" doesn't really do anything to bring them around to a more inclusive point of view.
                  The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                  George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I agree that they need a clear message, and I think to get that message they need to figure out what the party stands for and what they want to be. Pretty much the only message from the Democrats the last 6-8 months is -- "Donald Trump is a racist/bigot/idiot". It must have been about 90% (or more) of what was on Liberal media, the Sportsbar and so on. In the end I don't think it helped them and I don't think it is a reasonable strategy going forward.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Dovish foreign policy.
                      Pro-labor--jobs.
                      That's the winning ticket. Leave the identity politics behind. Leave the 'Trump is a Nazi' behind. Leave the 'racist, sexist' labels behind. Leave the bathroom battles behind.
                      Dovish foreign policy.
                      Pro-labor--jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
                        Dovish foreign policy.
                        Pro-labor--jobs.
                        That's the winning ticket. Leave the identity politics behind. Leave the 'Trump is a Nazi' behind. Leave the 'racist, sexist' labels behind. Leave the bathroom battles behind.
                        Dovish foreign policy.
                        Pro-labor--jobs.
                        As much as I would like it I don't know that a "Dovish foreign policy" is a net positive. Americans are pretty gung ho about their kick-ass military and spreading freedom to the world.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                          As much as I would like it I don't know that a "Dovish foreign policy" is a net positive. Americans are pretty gung ho about their kick-ass military and spreading freedom to the world.
                          Well, the Dems seemed to do pretty good in the 70s and 80s being the party that didn't always want to intervene but I will grant that the world changed after 9/11.

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
                            Leave the identity politics behind. Leave the 'Trump is a Nazi' behind. Leave the 'racist, sexist' labels behind. Leave the bathroom battles behind.
                            I wont listen to anything democrats have to say until they stop identity politics and labels.
                            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Obviously, I'm not a Dem, but this post is simple and fantastic. So true and well said.
                              I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Working...
                              X