Page 77 of 85 FirstFirst ... 27677576777879 ... LastLast

Thread: Democratic Party 2017 and beyond

Pelosi needs to step down. Politics as usual is a losing platform and it's the only thing she has going for her.

Anyone in the democratic party on the wrong side of AOC and those like her can pack up now.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

I am beginning to seriously wonder if Trump will succeed in breaking the whole Democratic party in the 2020 election. At the moment he has succeeded in painting the Democratic party with four angry, shrill women. This cannot be good for the Democrat's 2020 house elections. On the back burner is the multi-layered DoJ, FBI, CIA, NSA internal review of the 2016 election. This is equivalent to the Democrat's own Watergate but on a much bigger scale. This is the sort of scandal that lingers for generations.

We will see. As of now things are still calm but there are 473 days til the election. Trump knows theater. Don't expect him to mess up the timing.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Quote Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post
    I am beginning to seriously wonder if Trump will succeed in breaking the whole Democratic party in the 2020 election. At the moment he has succeeded in painting the Democratic party with four angry, shrill women. This cannot be good for the Democrat's 2020 house elections. On the back burner is the multi-layered DoJ, FBI, CIA, NSA internal review of the 2016 election. This is equivalent to the Democrat's own Watergate but on a much bigger scale. This is the sort of scandal that lingers for generations.

We will see. As of now things are still calm but there are 473 days til the election. Trump knows theater. Don't expect him to mess up the timing.

J
    Heaven forbid a political party be associated with women! Angry and shrill women,, of color no less! On a related note, has anyone ever used the term shrill for a man? Maybe I haven't heard them communicate enough, but I don't think I've heard them scream and yell in a high-pitched piercing manner. I suppose you want these "shrill, angry women" of color to leave the country as well? I also forget, were you hell-bent on seeing Obama's birth certificate too? Do you approve of Trump returning to this same playbook to court white nationalists? Are you aware of the surge of passionate support and shear joy expressed by every white nationalist group who helped get Trump elected in 2016 at these new statements? What do you think about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Heaven forbid a political party be associated with women! Angry and shrill women,, of color no less! On a related note, has anyone ever used the term shrill for a man? Maybe I haven't heard them communicate enough, but I don't think I've heard them scream and yell in a high-pitched piercing manner. I suppose you want these "shrill, angry women" of color to leave the country as well? I also forget, were you hell-bent on seeing Obama's birth certificate too? Do you approve of Trump returning to this same playbook to court white nationalists? Are you aware of the surge of passionate support and shear joy expressed by every white nationalist group who helped get Trump elected in 2016 at these new statements? What do you think about that?
    I guarantee Nancy Pelosi is upset about it. It isn't the women as such, it's the vileness they are spewing that Trumps wants in the public eye. Democrats talk of Trump preaching hate. Actions are louder than words and the Squad is hatred personified.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Quote Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post
    I guarantee Nancy Pelosi is upset about it. It isn't the women as such, it's the vileness they are spewing that Trumps wants in the public eye. Democrats talk of Trump preaching hate. Actions are louder than words and the Squad is hatred personified.

J
    do you have some examples of the vileness they are spewing ? Say compared to what Donald Trump and his supporters are throwing out there ?
    Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.

very fair question. fyi, much of Trump's claims this week are nonsense (surprise!).

https://www.apnews.com/e6690d5b6e8c496580e2dc0cc78c2f17

the real stuff isn't great, though - particularly given the rise in anti-Semitic attacks in the US. if we had a normal President, Omar would be a much worse position. nobody can came close to him, so lesser ignorance by lower-ranked elected officials get a free pass.

from ABC:

THE FACTS: Omar ignited a bipartisan uproar in Washington and Minnesota during her first weeks in Congress this year when she suggested on Twitter that members of Congress support Israel for money. Many Jewish leaders denounced her remarks as reviving old stereotypes about Jews, money and power.

A few weeks before her “It’s all about the Benjamins baby” tweet, a 2012 tweet surfaced in which she said Israel “hypnotized the world.” She denied anti-Semitism was intended and apologized for both episodes.

from CNN

Omar, a Minnesota congresswoman, tweeted in 2012: "Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel. #Gaza #Palestine #Israel."

The tweet was called anti-Semitic by both Republicans and Democrats when it resurfaced this year.

Omar initially defended it, telling CNN: "I don't know how my comments would be offensive to Jewish Americans. My comments precisely are addressing what was happening during the Gaza War, and I am clearly speaking of the way the Israeli regime was conducting itself in that war."

After the criticism continued, Omar said she had just learned from Jewish organizations that her use of the word "hypnotize," which has a long anti-Semitic history, was offensive.

"It's now apparent to me that I spent lots of energy putting my 2012 tweet in context and little energy is disavowing the anti-semitic trope I unknowingly used, which is unfortunate and offensive," she tweeted.

She emphasized again that she was not attacking the Jewish people, saying, "It is important to distinguish between criticizing a military action by a government and attacking a particular people of faith."

ABC News

WHAT REP. OMAR SAID ABOUT AL QAEDA: In 2013, Omar, then a political activist, appeared on a local Twin Cities current affairs program, "BelAhdan," after the bombing of a Kenyan shopping mall by terror group al-Shabab.

In conversations about how American Muslim communities navigate responding to terror attacks committed by Muslim extremists, the host, Ahmed Tharwat, noted how Arabic names for groups like al Qaeda, Hezbollah and al-Shabab are commonly used in the U.S.

"It's very interesting that we keep the Arabic name to such a violent, or negative entity," he said.

"They don't mean anything evil," Omar replied, calling their usage "a product of the sensationalized media."

also ABC:

This spring, "Omar was at a progressive event in Washington where she said pro-Israel activists pushed "allegiance to a foreign country," in an effort to clarify her initial comments.

"I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is OK for people to push for allegiance to a foreign country," Omar said, immediately prompting criticism that she was evoking stereotypes about "dual loyalty," a trope seen as anti-Semitic but also associated historically with other immigrant groups.

In March, the House passed a resolution condemning anti-Semitism, racism and bigotry in response to Omar's comments, though some Democrats were angry that it didn't mention the congresswoman by name. "
    36th yr in same 12-team NL 5x5
    horrendous final week dropped me from a shot at 3rd to 6th
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

2020 candidates (keep up to 11)
    SP Scherzer 44, Samardzija 1, CSmith 1, Cueto 1, Marquez 10, Eflin 10
    RP Stanek 8
    C Realmuto 13, C Posey 12, 1B Votto 27, 1O Belt 10, 1O Beaty, SS BCrawford 9
    OF CDickerson 17, Cooper 10, Dyson 8, Nimmo 10

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Jude View Post
    very fair question. fyi, much of Trump's claims this week are nonsense (surprise!).

https://www.apnews.com/e6690d5b6e8c496580e2dc0cc78c2f17

the real stuff isn't great, though - particularly given the rise in anti-Semitic attacks in the US. if we had a normal President, Omar would be a much worse position. nobody can came close to him, so lesser ignorance by lower-ranked elected officials get a free pass.

from ABC:

THE FACTS: Omar ignited a bipartisan uproar in Washington and Minnesota during her first weeks in Congress this year when she suggested on Twitter that members of Congress support Israel for money. Many Jewish leaders denounced her remarks as reviving old stereotypes about Jews, money and power.

A few weeks before her “It’s all about the Benjamins baby” tweet, a 2012 tweet surfaced in which she said Israel “hypnotized the world.” She denied anti-Semitism was intended and apologized for both episodes.

from CNN

Omar, a Minnesota congresswoman, tweeted in 2012: "Israel has hypnotized the world, may Allah awaken the people and help them see the evil doings of Israel. #Gaza #Palestine #Israel."

The tweet was called anti-Semitic by both Republicans and Democrats when it resurfaced this year.

Omar initially defended it, telling CNN: "I don't know how my comments would be offensive to Jewish Americans. My comments precisely are addressing what was happening during the Gaza War, and I am clearly speaking of the way the Israeli regime was conducting itself in that war."

After the criticism continued, Omar said she had just learned from Jewish organizations that her use of the word "hypnotize," which has a long anti-Semitic history, was offensive.

"It's now apparent to me that I spent lots of energy putting my 2012 tweet in context and little energy is disavowing the anti-semitic trope I unknowingly used, which is unfortunate and offensive," she tweeted.

She emphasized again that she was not attacking the Jewish people, saying, "It is important to distinguish between criticizing a military action by a government and attacking a particular people of faith."

ABC News

WHAT REP. OMAR SAID ABOUT AL QAEDA: In 2013, Omar, then a political activist, appeared on a local Twin Cities current affairs program, "BelAhdan," after the bombing of a Kenyan shopping mall by terror group al-Shabab.

In conversations about how American Muslim communities navigate responding to terror attacks committed by Muslim extremists, the host, Ahmed Tharwat, noted how Arabic names for groups like al Qaeda, Hezbollah and al-Shabab are commonly used in the U.S.

"It's very interesting that we keep the Arabic name to such a violent, or negative entity," he said.

"They don't mean anything evil," Omar replied, calling their usage "a product of the sensationalized media."

also ABC:

This spring, "Omar was at a progressive event in Washington where she said pro-Israel activists pushed "allegiance to a foreign country," in an effort to clarify her initial comments.

"I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is OK for people to push for allegiance to a foreign country," Omar said, immediately prompting criticism that she was evoking stereotypes about "dual loyalty," a trope seen as anti-Semitic but also associated historically with other immigrant groups.

In March, the House passed a resolution condemning anti-Semitism, racism and bigotry in response to Omar's comments, though some Democrats were angry that it didn't mention the congresswoman by name. "
    that's old news and hardly vile in my opinion
    Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.

trying to accurately list the record.

"go back to where you came from" and "dual loyalties" - which Omar implied just a few months ago, so you have quite the hectic news cycle if that's old news - are two of the nastier tropes of the last century in the U.S., historically. and "I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is OK for people to push for allegiance to a foreign country" is indeed playing the "dual loyalties" card.

the intent in each case is to marginalize certain groups, and gin up a politician's base. there's no room for this stuff.

(and yes, at least one of the two apologized, if belatedly.)
    36th yr in same 12-team NL 5x5
    horrendous final week dropped me from a shot at 3rd to 6th
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

2020 candidates (keep up to 11)
    SP Scherzer 44, Samardzija 1, CSmith 1, Cueto 1, Marquez 10, Eflin 10
    RP Stanek 8
    C Realmuto 13, C Posey 12, 1B Votto 27, 1O Belt 10, 1O Beaty, SS BCrawford 9
    OF CDickerson 17, Cooper 10, Dyson 8, Nimmo 10

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Jude View Post
    trying to accurately list the record.

"go back to where you came from" and "dual loyalties" - which Omar implied just a few months ago, so you have quite the hectic news cycle if that's old news - are two of the nastier tropes of the last century in the U.S., historically. and "I want to talk about the political influence in this country that says it is OK for people to push for allegiance to a foreign country" is indeed playing the "dual loyalties" card.

the intent in each case is to marginalize certain groups, and gin up a politician's base. there's no room for this stuff.

(and yes, at least one of the two apologized, if belatedly.)
    it's vile and filled with hatred. Hatred, I say.

Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    it's vile and filled with hatred. Hatred, I say.
    Muslims marginalizing certain groups in America is a huge, huge problem.