Page 1 of 75 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Democratic Party 2017 and beyond

Democratic Party 2017 and beyond

I'm curious what the Democrats on the board see as the future of the Democratic Party, and how you see the Sanders supporters fitting in. I've linked a couple articles I've read about this recently.

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2017/...tic-party.html

https://theintercept.com/2017/02/09/...eed-attention/

Quote Originally Posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    I'm curious what the Democrats on the board see as the future of the Democratic Party, and how you see the Sanders supporters fitting in. I've linked a couple articles I've read about this recently.

http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2017/...tic-party.html

https://theintercept.com/2017/02/09/...eed-attention/
    The status quo honks are prepared to go down in flames rather than move to the left, where the future of the party lies.

They need a simpler message. I know for a lot of the staunch conservatives I grew up with back in Louisiana, so much of it comes down to welfare -- they're convinced that the Dems waste money on welfare for lazy people. And that alone makes them biased toward drinking whatever koolaid the GOP serves. Throw in a side of "pro-life" for the anti-abortion 1-issue voters (and it feels to me like there are tons of them) and I can't see how they make inroads without a major change in message.

The fact is, the masses need a villain, and for those folks, Dems are the villain. They need to push hard on the anti-corruption and economic imbalance messages, but in language people can relate to. Vilify congress and teach people that much more of their tax money is wasted on corporate welfare.

Now you just need someone with charisma to deliver that message. As much as I like Elizabeth Warren, she's not it.

democrats have gone so far left that I cant relate to them in any way.
    Need a new nots quote please

Quote Originally Posted by cardboardbox View Post
    Insert "Republicans" and "right" and that's me.

We can't be friends anymore. Sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by cardboardbox View Post
    I'm really curious as to how the Democrats have "gone so far left".
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Quote Originally Posted by Jefe View Post
    They need a simpler message. I know for a lot of the staunch conservatives I grew up with back in Louisiana, so much of it comes down to welfare -- they're convinced that the Dems waste money on welfare for lazy people. And that alone makes them biased toward drinking whatever koolaid the GOP serves. Throw in a side of "pro-life" for the anti-abortion 1-issue voters (and it feels to me like there are tons of them) and I can't see how they make inroads without a major change in message.

The fact is, the masses need a villain, and for those folks, Dems are the villain. They need to push hard on the anti-corruption and economic imbalance messages, but in language people can relate to. Vilify congress and teach people that much more of their tax money is wasted on corporate welfare.

Now you just need someone with charisma to deliver that message. As much as I like Elizabeth Warren, she's not it.
    And I think we all know what that is code for.

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    And I think we all know what that is code for.
    We do, and I agree, but you can't get anywhere telling them that. They'd deny it all day long. If you're going to bring them around you've got to change the conversation.

We do, and I agree, but you can't get anywhere telling them that. They'd deny it all day long. If you're going to bring them around you've got to change the conversation.
    The part in bold is a really good comment. Calling people bigots or labeling them a "basket of deplorables" doesn't really do anything to bring them around to a more inclusive point of view.

I agree that they need a clear message, and I think to get that message they need to figure out what the party stands for and what they want to be. Pretty much the only message from the Democrats the last 6-8 months is -- "Donald Trump is a racist/bigot/idiot". It must have been about 90% (or more) of what was on Liberal media, the Sportsbar and so on. In the end I don't think it helped them and I don't think it is a reasonable strategy going forward.