Page 69 of 76 FirstFirst ... 19596768697071 ... LastLast

Thread: Democratic Party 2017 and beyond

Big Leaguer
    Rules might not apply to her? Your changing entirely what her premise was, which was that as a body it is shameful for congress to be collecting a paycheck when they arent doing their job. To decide what she really meant was she, solely, was volunteering to surrender her salary, this freshman who has never drawn a buck, to the exclusion of these politicians who have held office for decades and are multi multi millionaires for doing nothing but voting lock step with their marching orders. She would be for codified legislation that as a body, all of congress should have pay withheld during shutdowns, not that, hey, while I am yelling at you in hall, are in you going to give back your 1st paycheck.

This reminds me when a number of the US most wealthy billionaires, including Buffett, volunteered that really the super rich should pay more in taxes than they do... When pressed, Mr. Buffett will you be giving more to taxes, Buffett pointed out to the imbecile that is not how taxes work, they are not a pay what you want exercise, that is not what he was putting forth, and that he was stating as a body super rich should pay more. Is this a hard distinction to understand? No, of course not, but this was a Post article, so it is not a newspaper of the news variety, but of the tabloid kind.

Big Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by gcstomp View Post
    Rules might not apply to her? Your changing entirely what her premise was, which was that as a body it is shameful for congress to be collecting a paycheck when they arent doing their job. To decide what she really meant was she, solely, was volunteering to surrender her salary, this freshman who has never drawn a buck, to the exclusion of these politicians who have held office for decades and are multi multi millionaires for doing nothing but voting lock step with their marching orders. She would be for codified legislation that as a body, all of congress should have pay withheld during shutdowns, not that, hey, while I am yelling at you in hall, are in you going to give back your 1st paycheck.

This reminds me when a number of the US most wealthy billionaires, including Buffett, volunteered that really the super rich should pay more in taxes than they do... When pressed, Mr. Buffett will you be giving more to taxes, Buffett pointed out to the imbecile that is not how taxes work, they are not a pay what you want exercise, that is not what he was putting forth, and that he was stating as a body super rich should pay more. Is this a hard distinction to understand? No, of course not, but this was a Post article, so it is not a newspaper of the news variety, but of the tabloid kind.
    Lot of verbal contortions there. Well done.
    So, is she collecting a check or not?
    PS- love the attack on the NY Post. We have guys linking Slate, a former Clinton Administration member etc, but the NY Post is a bridge too far I guess. The same basic article is available on other sources as well, though probably none of the sycophantic ones.
    PSS- her 70% tax rate is a sure winner too

South of the Cheedar Curtain, in the land of the FIBs
    Ben Shapiro on tweeter responding AOC 70% tax proposal regarding the new House majority.

@benshapiro
    Literally all they have to do is not be bats*** insane. And they just can't do it.

Also from today:

@benshapiro
    Media: AOC IS THE WAVE OF THE FUTURE! SHE'S SOOOO IMPORTANT!
    Conservatives: Okay. That's scary. Her policy is insane.
    Media: LOOK, SHE'S DANCING! YOU HATE THAT!
    Conservatives: Nah, her policy is just insane.
    Media: WHY ARE YOU SO OBSESSED WITH HER?
    Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 01-05-2019 at 12:08 AM.
    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by gcstomp View Post
    What a strange attempt of a hit on AOC. oooh footage was dug up from her school days that she smiled and danced with friends. And btw, absolutely none of these people should be getting paid, or have medical, or have their special parking space, or any other damn perk, until shut down is over with. AOC is right, as at that point this over compensated bunch of idgits would lock themselves in congress until shut down over and make this something that never happens again.
    Yes, that was about as stupid of a hit job as I can think of. I still think way too much weight and hype is being put on her at this stage when she is totally new to all of this, shows her inexperience, and hasn't actually done much yet. But her response to this was perfect. As B-Fly says, she is very likeable. Charm and passion go a long way in politics, and she has both.

South of the Cheedar Curtain, in the land of the FIBs
    Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    It amazes me how terrified the GOPers are of a 27-year old neophyte who has 2 days of service under her belt.
    Are they? I think you’re buying into the narrative promoted by CNN and NSNBC. I suppose Fox is the real source, but which non-media Republicans are terrified of her? I think this liberal conspiracy is way overrated.

I’m not a fan of her politics and I think she’s pretty inexperienced but I like her energy and I think she’s interesting. She and other newbs may be the catalysts to make Congress function once again. And, she’s kind of cute, especially when she’s dancing.

If we’re going to believe conspiracies then here’s the conservative one that I’ve seen floating around: AOC or one her staff released the video through an anonymous tweeter account and created the controversy just for fundraising purposes knowing this would cause liberals to donate to her. Also the new Congress woman who MF Trump knew what she was doing and did it for the same reason.

Conspiracy theories work both ways.
    Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 01-05-2019 at 10:35 AM.
    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by B-Fly View Post
    She is exceedingly likeable. Even the people that have been pretending to hate her secretly love her. It's true.
    Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    It amazes me how terrified the GOPers are of a 27-year old neophyte who has 2 days of service under her belt.
    Quote Originally Posted by DMT View Post
    They need a boogeywoman to account for their "Lock Her Up" chants. And, they see in her the future of this country and it's fucking grim for them.
    Fascinating. I have seen almost no criticism from Republicans; I see it from old-line Democrats. Republicans think of her as the flavor of the month and lean toward amusement.

Maybe it's just this part of the country.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Quote Originally Posted by onejayhawk View Post
    Fascinating. I have seen almost no criticism from Republicans; I see it from old-line Democrats. Republicans think of her as the flavor of the month and lean toward amusement.

Maybe it's just this part of the country.

J
    Wow, really? Have you ever tuned into Fox News and see how they criticized her for not only these recent comments, but when she claimed she couldn't afford to buy clothes, they dissected her wardrobe? Really J, it's like you're in some nether world.

Maybe this will help:
    https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/25/opini...lah/index.html

I'm more frightened by men that are frightened by women that curse and dance than the women
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Quote Originally Posted by B-Fly View Post
    AOC is growing awesomer by the day. Loving both the dance video leaked to embarrass her and her response to it.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/04/polit...rnd/index.html
    I was traveling. which Republican elected officials or pundits complained about some dance video? that seems silly.

meanwhile, did anyone see this Anderson Cooper interview of her? wtf? this is after she earned 4 Pinocchios from the Washington Post for her dopey claim that "66% of Medicare for All could have been funded already by the Pentagon. And that’s before our premiums."

(spoiler alert: she's really bad at both math AND reading)

Ocasio-Cortez on Sunday said people are less concerned "with being factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right."

"If people want to really blow up one figure here or one word there, I would argue that they're missing the forest for the trees," she told Cooper. "I think that there's a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right."

[this pitch sounds vaguely familiar, but from a different bottle. I just can't quite place it....]

and I don't mind the initial error so much. well, it's a huge error, but we're all human. but already she seems to be settling into the "never admit your mistake" game. that Caesar salad in the House lunchroom seems to be fast-acting on the newcomers.
    36th year in same 12-team NL 5x5
    KILLING it in June, now 6th
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP Scherzer 44, Roark 8, Samardzija 1, PLopez 1, Mahle
    RP Jeffress 1, AMiller 14, Moronta, Guerrero
    C Realmuto 13, C Posey 12, 1B Votto 27, 3B TFrazier 2, 13 Belt 10, 2B KMarte 10, SS BCrawford 9, 2S CBarnes 8
    OF Harper 41, Eaton 18, Dyson 8, Bruce, Cooper, UT Naylor 5
    IL: SP CSmith 1, SP Cueto 1, 1B Beaty*, SS EGonzalez 2, OF CDickerson 17*, OF Quinn
    minors: OFs NWilliams 2*, Daza, RDavis

Suburbs of Minneapolis...close to Hornsby
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Jude View Post
    I was traveling. which Republican elected officials or pundits complained about some dance video? that seems silly.

meanwhile, did anyone see this Anderson Cooper interview of her? wtf? this is after she earned 4 Pinocchios from the Washington Post for her dopey claim that "66% of Medicare for All could have been funded already by the Pentagon. And that’s before our premiums."

(spoiler alert: she's really bad at both math AND reading)

Ocasio-Cortez on Sunday said people are less concerned "with being factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right."

"If people want to really blow up one figure here or one word there, I would argue that they're missing the forest for the trees," she told Cooper. "I think that there's a lot of people more concerned about being precisely, factually, and semantically correct than about being morally right."

[this pitch sounds vaguely familiar, but from a different bottle. I just can't quite place it....]

and I don't mind the initial error so much. well, it's a huge error, but we're all human. but already she seems to be settling into the "never admit your mistake" game. that Caesar salad in the House lunchroom seems to be fast-acting on the newcomers.
    Stop it with the whataboutism!

When it comes to AOC, I love that she has fresh ideas and passion. I was a little disappoint with her interview on 60 Minutes. You can't have it both ways.
    "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
    - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
    - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.