No announcement yet.

Democratic Party 2017 and beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good compromise and transition plan for the House Democrats, giving Pelosi the votes she'll need to be Speaker now, with a commitment to transition to new House leadership by 2022 as well as support for a broader commitment to giving different members leadership opportunities every three terms.

Comment

• It will be interesting to see how the absence of Joe Crowley is felt.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
        Good compromise and transition plan for the House Democrats, giving Pelosi the votes she'll need to be Speaker now, with a commitment to transition to new House leadership by 2022 as well as support for a broader commitment to giving different members leadership opportunities every three terms.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...es-term-limits
        I may not like her, but Rep. Pelosi is a hell of a politician. I did not think she'd be able to pull this rabbit out of her hat.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          I may not like her, but Rep. Pelosi is a hell of a politician. I did not think she'd be able to pull this rabbit out of her hat.
          Not a fan of her either, but she can play the game. Also have to point out how much better she came across in that Trump meeting than Schumer did. He couldn’t even look at Trump—she looked him dead in the eye and called him out. Big difference.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
            Not a fan of her either, but she can play the game. Also have to point out how much better she came across in that Trump meeting than Schumer did. He couldn’t even look at Trump—she looked him dead in the eye and called him out. Big difference.
            I agree. I did not like how Schumer handled himself. Pelosi came across as the only adult in the room.

Comment

• the Jersey side

https://www.njspotlight.com/stories/...cting-measure/

"Democratic lawmakers have largely watched from the sidelines as their proposal to revise the way the state redraws its legislative districts every 10 years has faced an onslaught of criticism from good-government groups, editorial boards and even a high-ranking official from former President Barack Obama’s administration.

But yesterday they fought back with a full-throated defense of the significant redistricting changes they want to write into the state constitution, including language that some say will open the door to gerrymandering, or the idea that legislative districts could be drawn up in a way that intentionally puts partisan interests over fair representation."

https://www.njspotlight.com/stories/...tricting-plan/

“Gerrymandering,” “voter suppression” and “undemocratic” were the most common phrases used by opponents in testifying against Democrats’ controversial legislation to revamp the way New Jersey redraws legislative district boundaries during simultaneous public hearings in Trenton on Thursday.

Not one of roughly 100 activists, academics, and citizens relatively new to political engagement who spoke or signed in to express an opinion in the Assembly and Senate hearings favored the proposal embodied in three identical measures — SCR-43, SCR-152, and ACR-205. That’s especially noteworthy because nearly all the grassroots activists lean Democratic."
              Last edited by Judge Jude; 12-14-2018, 09:54 AM.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                the Jersey side

https://www.njspotlight.com/stories/...cting-measure/

"Democratic lawmakers have largely watched from the sidelines as their proposal to revise the way the state redraws its legislative districts every 10 years has faced an onslaught of criticism from good-government groups, editorial boards and even a high-ranking official from former President Barack Obama’s administration.

But yesterday they fought back with a full-throated defense of the significant redistricting changes they want to write into the state constitution, including language that some say will open the door to gerrymandering, or the idea that legislative districts could be drawn up in a way that intentionally puts partisan interests over fair representation."

https://www.njspotlight.com/stories/...tricting-plan/

“Gerrymandering,” “voter suppression” and “undemocratic” were the most common phrases used by opponents in testifying against Democrats’ controversial legislation to revamp the way New Jersey redraws legislative district boundaries during simultaneous public hearings in Trenton on Thursday.

Not one of roughly 100 activists, academics, and citizens relatively new to political engagement who spoke or signed in to express an opinion in the Assembly and Senate hearings favored the proposal embodied in three identical measures — SCR-43, SCR-152, and ACR-205. That’s especially noteworthy because nearly all the grassroots activists lean Democratic."
                Not surprising at all in NJ. It’s almost as if the ‘both sides do it’ narrative has some truth to it.
                Last edited by nots; 12-14-2018, 12:45 PM. Reason: Fat fingers

Comment

• Funny use of the term grassroots.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Thought there may some conversation in the left camp regarding the in-fighting between Tom Perez and the state parties:

"The DNC wants to gather all the data points on voters into a new, massive for-profit database but needs to convince state parties on the idea. The state parties have been wary, accusing the DNC of conducting a power grab that could financially benefit a few elite party figures."

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...arties-1066665
                    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• fyi, the NJ gerrymandering wilted in the light of day and now is off the table....
                      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                        fyi, the NJ gerrymandering wilted in the light of day and now is off the table....
                        Hmmm, maybe one side isn't as crooked as the other?
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                          Or, it was so blatant that even a clown like Phil Murphy couldn’t defend it. But yeah, hold up the state that relected a guy who was indicted for fraud as a beacon of Democratic virtue.

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                            "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                            "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                            "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                              Or, it was so blatant that even a clown like Phil Murphy couldn’t defend it. But yeah, hold up the state that relected a guy who was indicted for fraud as a beacon of Democratic virtue.
                              Not holding them up as anything...it's an extremely low bar. Feel free to show me Republicans standing for anything other than power.
                              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                                Show me where I've defended gerrymandering from any state? Don't spend much time as it'll be a futile effort.
                                - Terence McKenna

Comment

Working...
                                X