This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• President Donald Trump

I never, ever thought this would happen. Lets hope the next 4 years are better than we expect. I've been wrong for 1.5 years about Trump, hoping to be wrong another 4 or 8.

I wanted a Trump avatar but I didnt find his funny faces all that funny...
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

I let my 5th grade students watch part of the inauguration live today. They got to see the swearing in of both Pence and Trump and listen to President Trump's speech. After turning it off I allowed the students to talk and ask questions. A student stated that Trump made a lot of broad promises and asked how Trump was going to keep those promises. I didn't have the answer for the young man, for I was asking myself the same thing - I could simply answer, "We shall see."
    "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
    "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
    WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
    PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

I'll admit that I haven't listened to (or read the transcripts of) every Inaugural Address, but this one painted the darkest and most negative image of our nation I have heard or seen. I'm not sure why that was necessary (or desirable) in order for the President to paint his vision for our future.
      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
        I'll admit that I haven't listened to (or read the transcripts of) every Inaugural Address, but this one painted the darkest and most negative image of our nation I have heard or seen. I'm not sure why that was necessary (or desirable) in order for the President to paint his vision for our future.
        Because he's a classless turd.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
          Because he's a classless turd.
          Not true. He's in a class of one.

I give him credit. He did his best to insult everyone on stage with him except his family.

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

I didnt watch anything but a clip of Bill Clinton staring at someone and being caught by Hillary. Oh, saw a snowflake crying over Trump being sworn in.

I'm more interested in policy than speeches.
            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Nice to see the administration is starting out focused on the important goals of the nation...like keeping the public in the dark.

Interior Department officials have been ordered to shut down the organization's official Twitter accounts indefinitely after the National Park Service shared tweets comparing attendance at President Donald Trump's inauguration against former President Barack Obama's.

“All bureaus and the department have been directed by incoming administration to shut down Twitter platforms immediately until further notice,” said an email obtained by the Washington Post circulated to Park Service employees Friday.

Earlier Friday the verified Twitter account for the National Park Service retweeted a post from New York Times reporter Binyamin Applebaum showing side by side images of the crowds at Trump’s inauguration and at President Barack Obama’s record-setting 2009 swearing-in. Obama’s, on the left, shows a jam-packed National Mall while Trump’s, on the right, is more sparsely populated.

The photos were seen as stark evidence that Trump’s prediction of an “unbelievable, perhaps record-setting turnout” did not come to fruition.

The organization also retweeted another user commenting that the whitehouse.gov website had been "scrubbed clean" of pages discussing civil rights, climate change and health care.

Interior Department officials were then given an "urgent directive" to close their official accounts “until further directed." An investigation into whether the tweets were intentional, accidental or part of a hack, is underway, according to the report.

The directive encompasses the department's numerous bureaus and offices, effectively shutting down dozens of official government accounts.

The retweet was particularly jarring given that the NPS stopped providing official crowd estimates for events on the Mall, including inagurations, after a dispute over counts at the Million Man March in 1995 prompted a lawsuit threat.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                I didnt watch anything but a clip of Bill Clinton staring at someone and being caught by Hillary. Oh, saw a snowflake crying over Trump being sworn in.

I'm more interested in policy than speeches.
                Sure, but it seems that your point is to unnecessarily downplay the role of speeches. Wouldn't it be fair to say that "speeches" have been an important strategic device used by many of our successful presidents to unveil and drum up support for major policy initiatives?
                If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  Nice to see the administration is starting out focused on the important goals of the nation...like keeping the public in the dark.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...nce-nps-233937

The Department of the Interior is again retweeting after its brief internal investigation. Much ado about nothing.

Comment

Because that's what's going to keep him or Pence or Ivanka or Don Jr. or Jared "The Middle East Savior" Kushner in office -- painting the US as a bleak, failing country with crime infested ghettos on fire, and he and only he has the answer.

Comment

Sure, but it seems that your point is to unnecessarily downplay the role of speeches. Wouldn't it be fair to say that "speeches" have been an important strategic device used by many of our successful presidents to unveil and drum up support for major policy initiatives?
                      Obama was a very good speaker, so all his speeches generally sounded pretty good unless you were really paying attention. After 8 years of that, I'd happily accept poor speeches for better policy.

Comment

Steven Mnuchin "forgot" to list $100m in assets
                        Vincent Viola punched a dude in the face last year
                        Betsy DeVos knows less about Education than a substitute teacher
                        The ex-wife of Andrew Puzder went on Oprah anonymously to discuss her domestic violence

Does it seem to anyone else that Trump and his cronies have kinda mailed it in so far? Maybe they think it's easy and will pick it up, but they seem tremendously unprepared.

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
                          http://www.philly.com/philly/news/na...19d16a6e0.html

The Department of the Interior is again retweeting after its brief internal investigation. Much ado about nothing.
                          No, the fact that our precious snowflake of a President felt wounded enough by physical proof of the poor turnout to his Inauguration is plenty troubling in and of itself. The fact that the Department was back in the Twitter business today after a vigorous 12 hour investigation. Showing that someone realized that the shutdown looked so bad they'd better walk it back right quick. PR 101.

Today was even more hilarious when the cheeto-in-charge went on a rant at the Wall of Honor at CIA headquarters...claiming that the media was lying about the size of yesterdays crowd, despite all of the evidence, both photographs and video, from professional sources, amature sources, and yes, even Government sources, was again a lie by the media. And at a place honoring the bravest members of the CIA, those who gave all to keep us safe.

"I have a running war with the media, they are among the most dishonest human beings on Earth -- they sort of made it sound like I had a feud with the intelligence community. The reason you are the number one stop is exactly the opposite," he said.

Later, White House press secretary Sean Spicer appeared in the White House briefing room to warn the administration was going to hold the press "accountable" and argued that the Trump crowd was the largest inaugural crowd ever. He said any suggestion otherwise was "shameful and wrong."

Spicer then left the room after the statement without taking questions.
                          President Trump used a visit to the CIA to ignite a feud with the media over the size of his inauguration crowd as mass nationwide protests erupted against him

I'm starting to think that he's so thin skinned, and desperate to be loved, that he won't last a year. Because it's not going to get any easier from here on out...far from it.

And didn't we already determine that philly.com is a fake news site?

-Warren Ellis

Comment

There's an old saying "never get into a fight with people who buy ink by the barrel". This is what's happening here, this is what's going to lead to greater journalism than we've ever seen. You shut out the media, rather than be buddy buddy with them, they'll get you in the end. Here's a fine example from today:

"That's what you guys should be writing and covering," new White House press secretary Sean Spicer angrily lectured reporters on Saturday during his first remarks from the podium of the press briefing room.

He was referring to the delay in Senate confirmation for President Donald Trump's pick to lead the CIA, Congressman Mike Pompeo, but the comment came after a long digression about how many people had shown up to watch Trump be sworn in as president.

"This was the largest audience to ever witness an inauguration, period," Spicer said, contradicting all available data.
                            Aerial photos have indicated that former president Barack Obama's first inauguration attracted a much larger crowd. Nielsen ratings show that Obama also had a bigger television audience.
                            Spicer said, without any evidence, that some photos were "intentionally framed" to downplay Trump's crowd.

He also expressed objections to specific Twitter posts from journalists. And he said, "we're going to hold the press accountable," partly by reaching the public through social networking sites.
                            His statement included several specific misstatements of fact in addition to the overarching one.

"This is the first time in our nation's history that floor coverings have been used to protect the grass on the Mall," Spicer said, claiming that this "had the effect of highlighting areas people were not standing whereas in years past the grass eliminated this visual."

In fact, coverings were used for Obama's second inauguration in 2013.

"This was also the first time that fencing and magnetometers went as far back on the Mall, preventing hundreds of thousands of people from being able to access the Mall as quickly as they had in inaugurations past," Spicer said.

In fact, a United States Secret Service spokesperson told CNN, no magnetometers were used on the Mall.

And Spicer said, "We know that 420,000 people used the D.C, Metro public transit yesterday, which actually compares to 317,000 for president Obama's last inaugural."
                            Spicer's number for ridership on Friday was actually low -- the correct number, according to Metro itself, was 570,557. But there were actually 782,000 trips taken for Obama's second inaugural in 2013.

Spicer, at times almost yelling while reading a prepared statement, took no questions. CNNMoney called his cell phone a few minutes later; he did not answer.

Some longtime White House correspondents were stunned by the tirade.

Glenn Thrush of The New York Times wrote on Twitter, "Jaw meet floor."
                            "I've run out of adjectives," wrote Chuck Todd, the moderator of NBC's "Meet the Press."

Karen Tumulty of the Washington Post said Spicer's assertion about "what you guys should be writing" was "chilling."

Reactions were overwhelmingly negative, and not just from journalists.

Ari Fleischer, who had the same job as Spicer during the George W. Bush administration, tweeted, "This is called a statement you're told to make by the President. And you know the President is watching."

And Brian Fallon, who was in line to become press secretary if Hillary Clinton had won, wrote, "Sean Spicer lacks the guts or integrity to refuse orders to go out and lie. He is a failure in this job on his first full day."

Conservative commentator Bill Kristol said "it is embarrassing, as an American, to watch this briefing by Sean Spicer from the podium at the White House. Not the RNC. The White House."

The White House alerted the press corps to Spicer's statement more than an hour ahead of time.

The CNN television network made a choice not to broadcast the Spicer statement live. Instead, the statement was monitored and then reported on after the fact.

Former Democratic congressman Steve Israel, who recently joined CNN as a commentator, said, "This isn't a petty attack on the press. It's a calculated attempt to delegitimize any questioning of @realDonaldTrump by a free press."

Spicer's statement came two hours after Trump spoke at CIA headquarters and described his "running war with the media." Trump spent several minutes of that speech complaining about news coverage.
                            In his remarks, Spicer suggested Trump would bypass traditional media outlets he believes are unfairly reporting on his presidency.

"The American people deserve better, and so long as he serves as the messenger for this incredible movement, he will take his message directly to the American people, where his focus will always be," Spicer said.

Spicer was joined in the Brady Press Briefing Room by members of his new White House press and communications staff, who are still moving into their offices and learning the way around the West Wing.

He tellingly led off his short statement with his tirade against the media, leaving announcements about phone calls with the leaders of Canada and Mexico, and announcing that Trump would meet with British Prime Minister Theresa May, to the end.

During those announcements, Spicer incorrectly referred to Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto as "prime minister."
                            New White House press secretary Sean Spicer lectured reporters on Saturday in an angry statement that represented his first remarks from the podium of the press briefing room.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              Betsy DeVos knows less about Education than a substitute teacher
                              As a former substitute teacher, and one who does have a secondary education certificate....I'm available for the job.
                              Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Working...
                              X