Page 671 of 671 FirstFirst ... 171571621661669670671
Results 6,701 to 6,707 of 6707

Thread: President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    I don't understand why you are so fixated on what the Twitterverse has said. Twitter is a little bit like the ability to read minds. It sounds cool in theory, but in practice you realize that a lot of people think ugly things and maybe you really don't want a window into what a billion people are thinking at any given time.

Does that mean I think it's fine that someone gets threats on Twitter? No, I do not. But I don't understand why that is where you have landed on and camped out and built a home in this particular discussion.
    Is directly calling for someone to punch a kid in the face or offer to give people money for kicking him in the nuts an incitement to violence?? Is it hate speech?

Very simple question - not a fixation.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Quote Originally Posted by nots View Post
    No, but the focus by you (and now Fresno Bob) is clearly on the students reaction, not the insults by the BIs, not the untruthfulness of the Native American and not on the culpability of the media. When the posts begin to reflect who created and escalated the situation, we can have a credible dialogue about the kids role in it.
    For someone who eschews ‘both sides do it’ rhetoric, you are clinging pretty hard to the concept on this one.
    my issue is not with the dumbshit kids (and they are dumbshits, as are 90% of high school boys, as evident by the multiple videos of them screaming "MAGA" at random women walking by) but with the dumbshit school adminstrators and chaperones, that either should know better, or wanted this exact response. Either one is deplorable
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Quote Originally Posted by nots View Post
    Can you imagine yourself calling teenagers sodomites?
    Nope, but then again, I don't know anyone from Sodom. I would call them hypocritical, as Jesus would never wear a MAGA hat, nor stand for what it stands for.
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Quote Originally Posted by baldgriff View Post
    I dont use Twitter - I see articles from various sources noting that these types of things were being said and how it doesn’t appear that anyone is holding these people accountable.
    Quote Originally Posted by baldgriff View Post
    Ok - as long as we agree that calling for people to punch someone in the face or kick him in the nuts is not cool - Some may call it an incitement to violence. Would that be hate speech??
    I do use twitter, so I ran a test just now ... my theory is that anyone - ANYONE - in the public eye has had a tweet about them getting punched in the face. So I picked three people in the news today.
    If all of this is considered hate speech then, well, were gonna need a bigger boat. Here goes ...

Big Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by Fresno Bob View Post
    my issue is not with the dumbshit kids (and they are dumbshits, as are 90% of high school boys, as evident by the multiple videos of them screaming "MAGA" at random women walking by) but with the dumbshit school adminstrators and chaperones, that either should know better, or wanted this exact response. Either one is deplorable
    I would say the ones who wanted this exact response were the Native American, the Black Israelites, and the folks that were filming and then posting it.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/21/tech/...ens/index.html

US gets played for chumps again. please spread the word about THIS on social media:

"New York (CNN Business)Twitter suspended an account on Monday afternoon that helped spread a controversial encounter between a Native American elder and a group of high school students wearing Make America Great Again hats.

The account claimed to belong to a California schoolteacher. Its profile photo was not of a schoolteacher, but of a blogger based in Brazil, CNN Business found. Twitter suspended the account soon after CNN Business asked about it.

On Tuesday, a source familiar with Twitter's investigation into the account said the company's initial findings suggest that the account was run from the United States. The source cautioned, however, that determining which country a Twitter account is actually run from can be very difficult.

The account, with the username @2020fight, was set up in December 2016 and appeared to be the tweets of a woman named Talia living in California. "Teacher & Advocate. Fighting for 2020," its Twitter bio read. Since the beginning of this year, the account had tweeted on average 130 times a day and had more than 40,000 followers."

Late on Friday, the account posted a minute-long video showing the now-iconic confrontation between a Native American elder and the high school students, with the caption, "This MAGA loser gleefully bothering a Native American protester at the Indigenous Peoples March."

That version of the video was viewed at least 2.5 million times and was retweeted at least 14,400 times, according to a cached version of the tweet seen by CNN Business.

The video shared by @2020fight did not show what preceded the confrontation between the Native American elder and the high school students."
    just finished my 35th year in 12-team NL 5x5
    AVG collapse in Sept left us finishing 4th
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

UPDATED! 2019 keeper candidates (can keep up to 11)
    SP Kershaw 42, AWood 5, CSmith 1
    RP Jeffress 1, Dominguez 10, Knebel 2
    C Realmuto 13, 3B Longoria 15, 2B Kendrick 8, 2S Hanson 10
    OF Harper 41, Eaton 18, CarGo 14, FCordero 10

We each have our brand, and the narrower and more unyielding it is, the more currency it has and the more loyal our consumers. Instead of bucking the political tribalism in America, we ride it.

We react to news by trying to fit it into the argument that we routinely make, the grievance that we usually raise, the fury or angst or sorrow that we typically peddle. We have our narrative, and we’re on the lookout for comments and developments that back it up. The response to the initial footage of the teenagers from Covington Catholic High School — and, in particular, to the one who wore a red MAGA cap as he stood before and stared at the drumming veteran — adhered to this dynamic.

Was that a smirk on the teenager’s face? A sneer? His expression was just indefinite enough to become a symbol of entitlement for the pundits who favor that locution, of the white patriarchy for another group, of the wages of Trumpism, of the fraudulence of Catholicism.

And while many pundits’ outrage was correctly calibrated to what they assumed was going on, it was built on assumption. It was hasty. A crowd was forming and the clock was ticking and nobody wanted to be late to the inquisition. A “hot take” is prized — hence the well-known phrase for this instant analysis. Nobody talks about a “cold take,” though that’s the temperature of truth.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/22/o...gtype=Homepage