This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
    You have been arguing for years that gun violence that kills 20 thousand people is not a problem. So you want me to believe that false racism charges are a huge problem ? Is that what you are saying ?
    So you are going to make a tangent from something that is a protected right - and whether you like it or not - most of those people killed by guns are self inflicted suicide.. nice. I thought you wanted to discuss the issue of false racism. Guess I will focus on the dart tourney I am playing in.

Sheesh - nice!
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
      I think we as a society have to be willing to wait for "due process" to happen rather than jumping straight to the race/bigot/homophobe/islamaphobe /or whatever other card there can be. All to often there is no discussion because as 1J says there was "a valid point to raise but cries of racism buried it."

You may not believe that. However, when a CNN legal analyst calls out someone for their "white male privilege" and the guy happens to be black - - - well its happening way to frequently.
      Again, Im sorry you were wrongly accused of racism. I never worry about that happening to me, and I believe it is relatively rare. You are the first person I've talked to that has had this happen to them. No one I no worries about this and it doesnt affect their lives. I think it pales in comparison to actual racism. If you believe otherwise we will just have to agree to disagree.
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Again, Im sorry you were wrongly accused of racism. I never worry about that happening to me, and I believe it is relatively rare. You are the first person I've talked to that has had this happen to them. No one I no worries about this and it doesnt affect their lives. I think it pales in comparison to actual racism. If you believe otherwise we will just have to agree to disagree.
        Frankly - the left tends to use Labeling as a method to shut down conversation. Yes - maybe Im a bit touch about the subject because Ive been through it - and fortunately my staff new that it was not the case. However, when you look at what is happening in the public square, and on our campuses - the people being "disinvited" or have people protesting them are the conservative voices. They are called "dangerous" and labeled with horrible names that have no basis. Its just frustrating to see people shut down dialogue and discussion by throwing a label out there and changing the entire thrust and direction of the discussion.
        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Here is how this works:

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
            Here is how this works:
            I live my life every day without worrying about being charged with racism. All my friends do as well. It is very far down on my list of concerns. I don't know what else to say.
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I live my life every day without worrying about being charged with racism. All my friends do as well. It is very far down on my list of concerns. I don't know what else to say.
              Then you should consider yourself lucky! Once someone levels the charge at you - well your life can become pretty much a living hell!

There are times to call people racist - and when they are actually racist - I will stand next to you and fight it tooth and nail. Unfortunately, when we see CNN legal analysts accusing black guys as having white privilege - well it really discredits the real racist issues in this country.

Comment

• You mean like this?

A crowd of teenagers surrounded a Native American elder and other activists and appeared to mock them after Friday’s Indigenous Peoples March at the Lincoln Memorial.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• White people not getting victimized by racism is the norm, sorry that you were one of the rare exceptions but it doesn't change the history or the present which almost universally victimizes people of color. If you want to argue otherwise, you're going to lose the argument. It's simply not true that whites are the victims. I mean if that is your argument, I'm surprised you aren't a Trump fan. White victimization is one of his core arguments.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

• I find it fascinating that out of the list of 15 "accomplishments" that OaklandAs posted, this is the one that gets the bulk of the discussion. Seems like it's the most important one to a lot of his supporters.
                    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• As far as the Republican party being "anti-American", this country was founded on immigration (and of course genocide). This country became the richest and most powerful nation in the world because of science and technology (and of course free slave labor). The founders set up a system of checks and balances to ensure that no malignant forces could undermine the system...a nation of laws. The Republican party is anti-immigrant, anti-science, and no longer care about the rule of law, only power and money.
                      Last edited by DMT; 01-20-2019, 10:18 AM.
                      - Terence McKenna

Comment

• We have a lot of mix marriages in my family and I am sorry BG your suffering ( and it is real) doesn't even come close to the EVERDAY CRAP that non whites go through. I too was target for being a racist but luckily it got shot down quickly when theys saw my family picture. It wasn't pleasant but pales in comparison to what my family of non whites go through. The funny part is they were raised excactly like me. Same neighborhood same school ( almost all white) and some even lived in my parents house. But they get treated totally different EVERYDAY because of the color of their skin. They can never take a day off and not worry that they are not in the right place, driving too good of a car, esp fear for their kids safety for one reason only. Skin color. Even tho they are carbon copies of our family structure. I DO NOT HAVE 1 tenths of the worry they do.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                          I find it fascinating that out of the list of 15 "accomplishments" that OaklandAs posted, this is the one that gets the bulk of the discussion. Seems like it's the most important one to a lot of his supporters.
                          In this case it was my fault for replying to the troll
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                            Yup. That story seems to be falling apart quickly.
                            I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
                              We have a lot of mix marriages in my family and I am sorry BG your suffering ( and it is real) doesn't even come close to the EVERDAY CRAP that non whites go through. I too was target for being a racist but luckily it got shot down quickly when theys saw my family picture. It wasn't pleasant but pales in comparison to what my family of non whites go through. The funny part is they were raised excactly like me. Same neighborhood same school ( almost all white) and some even lived in my parents house. But they get treated totally different EVERYDAY because of the color of their skin. They can never take a day off and not worry that they are not in the right place, driving too good of a car, esp fear for their kids safety for one reason only. Skin color. Even tho they are carbon copies of our family structure. I DO NOT HAVE 1 tenths of the worry they do.
                              Race is the single biggest issue in our country today. It drives almost all governmental decisions, including health care, education, immigration and foreign policy. And no matter how broad minded, compassionate or "woke" we may think we are, we have no friggin' idea what people of color face on a daily basis. That's my two cents on the subject.
                              If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
                                We have a lot of mix marriages in my family and I am sorry BG your suffering ( and it is real) doesn't even come close to the EVERDAY CRAP that non whites go through. I too was target for being a racist but luckily it got shot down quickly when theys saw my family picture. It wasn't pleasant but pales in comparison to what my family of non whites go through. The funny part is they were raised excactly like me. Same neighborhood same school ( almost all white) and some even lived in my parents house. But they get treated totally different EVERYDAY because of the color of their skin. They can never take a day off and not worry that they are not in the right place, driving too good of a car, esp fear for their kids safety for one reason only. Skin color. Even tho they are carbon copies of our family structure. I DO NOT HAVE 1 tenths of the worry they do.
                                I would describe this observation as indisputable, and it saddens me how many right-wingers just don't get it.

and because of that, I can even understand why that idiot on CNN who accused a black guy of "white privilege" doesn't draw a response from the left. no ground is to be ceded, on either side. those are the current rules of engagement.

those who enjoy tossing around the term "white privilege" might want to consider what is the intended point - and what is the result?

for virtue-signaling purposes, it's a home run. you prove you are "one of us" in the circle. but if it's intended to get right-wingers to "get woke," um, it will never ever work.

all forms of unbridled, sweeping generalizations and stereotypes are unproductive.

what "white privilege" and "only whites can be racist" have in common is sociological. hacko explains well the every-day reality, and an academic analysis that has only the group in power being able to inflict power on others is sound.

but in terms of furthering a discussion, both fail. a poor white person whose family has never been educated nonetheless is aware that a significant number of minorities fared far better in the 'parent's lottery' than they did, making it easier for that person to succeed. An Ivy League-educated African-American whose parents were doctors telling an unemployed, depressed white person to "check his white privilege at the door" is not likely to end well.

again, everything that hacko said is true and clear to anyone who has a clue - no matter how successful that person becomes. and of course there is massive frustration about that; it's fully justified.

but handing tens of millions of Americans the same label isn't helping - if that wasn't already obvious.

hacko's message is the one to be disseminated - not insulting stereotyping.

and if the 2020 Democratic candidate makes "white privilege" part of their campaign rhetoric - well, that, too, won't end well.
                                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                                X