This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Not once they achieve that status. Fortunately, Trump has not, yet.
    I don't think that's true (that dictators don't have to ask for permission). Dictators need the support of their ruling cabal. They aren't one-man shows. They may even need to have the pretense of following the law to maintain that support. Having the fiction of a Constitution isn't keeping Trump from being a dictator. I would say Trump's not a dictator because the opposition party is still too strong and he (probably) can't manipulate the elections to stay in power. But beyond that, it's sadly been exposed that our Constitution won't hold him back if one party is willing to let him become dictator. The Republican Senate , the Justice Department, and the Republican Party voters are in full-throated support of him becoming a dictator, and he'll soon have the Supreme Court in his corner, too. (Probably. Not sure how far Gorsuch will go with him.)
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      Or, you can label alternate facts as fake news, as in this case. After all, Trump did not kill 200,000 people. A disease did that.

J
      And drunk drivers don't kill people...cars do.

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
        And drunk drivers don't kill people...cars do.
        Nor do guns, bullets do. See ain't it fun to shut your brain off and spout gibberish?
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
          Nor do guns, bullets do. See ain't it fun to shut your brain off and spout gibberish?
          As 1Jay would sing, I can see clearly now my brain is gone..........
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Apparently there are many in Dopey's camp who are now publicly referring to Biden as a "professional" after months of denigrating him. Why you ask? Because Dumb Donald is so dumb, he's labeled Biden as such a feeble pushover that if he loses the debate next week - which many of these people are expecting will happen -- it will be a massive humiliating self-own.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
              Apparently there are many in Dopey's camp who are now publicly referring to Biden as a "professional" after months of denigrating him. Why you ask? Because Dumb Donald is so dumb, he's labeled Biden as such a feeble pushover that if he loses the debate next week - which many of these people are expecting will happen -- it will be a massive humiliating self-own.
              It sure would be, but he will claim victory in the debates no matter how poorly he does, just like he did in 2016. And his people will say he won, no matter how poorly he does.

Comment

Apparently there are many in Dopey's camp who are now publicly referring to Biden as a "professional" after months of denigrating him.
                Of course they are. Pretty much everyone has learned the lesson from the Gore/Bush debates in the 2000 election year. For example, while I've been very critical of Hillary Clinton's campaign management, this was one area they nailed well. They successfully tamped down expectations, even though most of us (me included) figured Clinton would handily win a debate against Trump.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• The great irony of Dopey's election fraud allegations is that he himself is absolutely trying to throw the election, right in front of your eyes:

"President Trump's campaign is discussing "contingency plans" that would involve bypassing the result of November's election, reports The Atlantic.

The report delves into possible scenarios if Trump apparently loses the 2020 presidential election but doesn't concede, noting that although we're used to electors being selected based on the popular vote, "nothing in the Constitution says it has to be that way." Citing Republican Party sources, The Atlantic says that Trump's campaign is "discussing contingency plans to bypass election results and appoint loyal electors in battleground states where Republicans hold the legislative majority."

The campaign would reportedly assert that this step was necessary due to claims of supposed voter fraud, which experts have noted is extraordinarily rare, ahead of the "safe harbor" deadline to appoint 538 electors on Dec. 8.

"Trump would ask state legislators to set aside the popular vote and exercise their power to choose a slate of electors directly," The Atlantic reports. "The longer Trump succeeds in keeping the vote count in doubt, the more pressure legislators will feel to act before the safe-harbor deadline expires."
                  President Trump's campaign is discussing "contingency plans" that would involve bypassing the result of November's election, reports The Atlantic.The report delves into possible scenarios if Trump apparently loses the 2020 presidential election but doesn't concede, noting that although we're used to electors being selected based on the popular vote, "nothing in the Constitution says it has to be that way." Citing Republican Party sources, The Atlantic says that Trump's campaign is "discussing contingency plans to bypass election results and appoint loyal electors in battleground states where Republicans hold the legislative majority."The campaign would reportedly assert that this step was necessary due to claims of supposed voter fraud, which experts have noted is extraordinarily rare, ahead of the "safe harbor" deadline to appoint 538 electors on Dec. 8."Trump would ask state legislators to set aside the popular vote and exercise their power to choose a slate of electors directly," The Atlantic reports. "The longer Trump succeeds in keeping the vote count in doubt, the more pressure legislators will feel to act before the safe-harbor deadline expires."A Trump campaign legal adviser who spoke to The Atlantic said that in this scenario, "the state legislatures will say, 'All right, we've been given this constitutional power. We don't think the results of our own state are accurate, so here's our slate of electors that we think properly reflect the results of our state." Lawrence Tabas, chair of the Pennsylvania Republican Party, also told The Atlantic he has discussed the direct appointment of electors with the Trump campaign, saying, "I've mentioned it to them, and I hope they're thinking about it too." The Trump campaign said it is "fighting for a free and fair election."This potential scenario is just one part of the broader piece in which experts warn "conditions are ripe for a constitutional crisis." Read more at The Atlantic.More stories from theweek.com America needs to hear the bad news first A mild defense of Republican hypocrisy on the Supreme Court Trump is the only one being honest about the Supreme Court fight

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    Of course they are. Pretty much everyone has learned the lesson from the Gore/Bush debates in the 2000 election year. For example, while I've been very critical of Hillary Clinton's campaign management, this was one area they nailed well. They successfully tamped down expectations, even though most of us (me included) figured Clinton would handily win a debate against Trump.
                    By "everyone" you mean "everyone besides Trump."

Comment

By "everyone" you mean "everyone besides Trump."
                      Or maybe he has figured out a better way. Instead of giving your opponent respect, so that your debate victory will be more impressive, denigrate your opponent heavily beforehand and regardless of what happens at the debate, which many won't even watch, boisterously claim total victory to all on social media, where your followers who didn't bother to watch will assume you did as you say.

Comment

• More evidence that Trump sees himself as president just of a certain type of person and that any person of color who disagrees with him is not American. He tries to suggest a person of color is not American and does not belong here, just like he did with Obama, and as he has repeatedly done: https://www.businessinsider.com/omar...a-rally-2020-9

He complains that rep Omar is trying to "tell us how to run OUR country" and asking "how she did where she came from" as if to suggest that Omar is not American, and somehow ran Somalia when she was 8.
                        Last edited by Sour Masher; 09-23-2020, 02:48 PM.

Comment

More evidence that Trump sees himself as president just of a certain type of person that any person of color who disagrees with him is not American. He tries to suggest a person of color is not American and does not belong here, just like he did with Obama, and as he has repeatedly done: https://www.businessinsider.com/omar...a-rally-2020-9

He complains that rep Omar is trying to "tell us how to run OUR country" and asking "how she did where she came from" as if to suggest that Omar is not American, and somehow ran Somalia when she was 8.
                          things like that would keep someone from being able to lead a local rotary club ...
                          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                            things like that would keep someone from being able to lead a local rotary club ...
                            He says things all the time that would get his followers fired from their jobs. But then again, that is part of the appeal-he is able to give voice to things they wish they could say but some cannot in polite society.

Comment

He says things all the time that would get his followers fired from their jobs. But then again, that is part of the appeal-he is able to give voice to things they wish they could say but some cannot in polite society.
                              I told someone the other day that what really scares me about people who are Trump supporters is that they think "That's exactly what I would say or do" when Trump does/says something stupid or racist or sexist or .......
                              “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                                I've always told my Trumpie supporter friends that he's so incompetent, if in an alternate reality he were your landscaper, you'd fire him. He's so incompetent, if anyone had an equivalent amount of knowledge in their job, you'd have fired them for anything you hired them to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X