Page 643 of 702 FirstFirst ... 143543593633641642643644645653693 ... LastLast
Results 6,421 to 6,430 of 7013

Thread: President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by heyelander View Post
    or...

California's budget for fiscal year 2018 had a nine billion dollar surplus.
    Ok - so let them take care of their own issues......

edit to add: I missed that CA's budget had that surplus..... my bad
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Quote Originally Posted by baldgriff View Post
    Ok - so let them take care of their own issues......

edit to add: I missed that CA's budget had that surplus..... my bad
    i guess if we can stop paying for east coast cities that continue to rebuild in the paths of hurricanes and flood zones, I'd be okay with it.
    I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

i guess if we can stop paying for east coast cities that continue to rebuild in the paths of hurricanes and flood zones, I'd be okay with it.
    One would think that if a city is built below sea level on the coast, with a large water mass bordering it - they should be the 1st people responsible for cleaning up their mess. Likewise, if you have a large wooded area that has been in a drought for years and dont manage that danger appropriately............
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Quote Originally Posted by baldgriff View Post
    Yes it is unfortunate that a number of American that pay taxes have suffered tremendously. They paid taxes to the State of CA also to take care of and properly manage their forestry issues (which its possible did not happen). But CA is broke, so is the Fed somehow responsible to take care of their mess? Where do you draw the line as to when the Fed is supposed to help or not? Should the Fed be fixing Detroit's water issues?

Government is not supposed to be there to fix every problem. Each time we defer our issues to the government...............
    It was a natural disaster and right now the cause is not known. But hey, let's make it so that whatever way the state voted, if it's the opposite of the president, they can get berated for months before any help arrives. This has been a bad habit for this disastrous regime. Forget about the citizens, let's play politics!

Big Leaguer
    or...

Maybe they can put their 9B surplus towards their 67B unfunded pension liability.

Quote Originally Posted by nots View Post
    Maybe they can put their 9B surplus towards their 67B unfunded pension liability.
    Being that New Jersey has the most under-funded pension plan in the country, is that really an argument you want to walk down?

i have a question since we are also sort of talking about where to build cities. why is Seoul in South Korea right under North Korea's artillery? couldn't they have built it a little farther away? can they move it? or is it there because of economic or other practical reasons? or maybe it even means they think the DPRK would never really attack them? yet it's one of the main reasons we don't engage North Korea. so they are perhaps actually covering for them.

i don't know. people are just going to live wherever they live. regardless whether it's in a forest fire zone or under artillery i guess.

Big Leaguer
    Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    Being that New Jersey has the most under-funded pension plan in the country, is that really an argument you want to walk down?
    What argument? That NJ sucks worse than California? No argument from me. Born, bred in NJ, left for Florida 3 years ago. You’re talking to the wrong guy.
    But, NJ having a more poorly funded pension really doesn’t mean that Calpers is in great shape now does it?

or...

and pays way more in taxes than it gets back from the feds
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Quote Originally Posted by nots View Post
    What argument? That NJ sucks worse than California? No argument from me. Born, bred in NJ, left for Florida 3 years ago. You’re talking to the wrong guy.
    But, NJ having a more poorly funded pension really doesn’t mean that Calpers is in great shape now does it?
    I agree with both. They're not. But many states aren't, surprisingly (or not surprisingly) enough. I don't really concentrate on corporate pensions that much any longer (I used to head up pension plan sales for one of the largest accounting firms in the country), but I believe municipalities have 7 years to fund a pension shortfall, unless those rules have changed, so they can keep kicking that can down the road.