Page 634 of 701 FirstFirst ... 134534584624632633634635636644684 ... LastLast
Results 6,331 to 6,340 of 7005

Thread: President Donald Trump

  1. #6331
    Big Leaguer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,050
    wasnt the deal about a year ago, worked out bipartisan, and then landed on trump desk who rejected it, the best solution? it was 25 billion for border security, including the wall, in exchange for DACA amnesty. Wouldnt both sides find that to be vastly better than what we are looking at now? And its not so much a both sides thing, as most americans want relief given to DACA, so it would be a allowing the will of the people deal.

  2. #6332
    Big Leaguer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,050
    no, it was a pathway to citizenship for 1.8 million dreamers. https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...lion-dreamers/

  3. #6333
    Hall of Famer B-Fly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Montclair, NJ
    Posts
    47,290
    Quote Originally Posted by gcstomp View Post
    wasnt the deal about a year ago, worked out bipartisan, and then landed on trump desk who rejected it, the best solution? it was 25 billion for border security, including the wall, in exchange for DACA amnesty. Wouldnt both sides find that to be vastly better than what we are looking at now? And its not so much a both sides thing, as most americans want relief given to DACA, so it would be a allowing the will of the people deal.
    Yes, it's exasperating how often we've seen "deals" announced and then walked back in a wave of mutual recriminations.

  4. #6334
    All Star Hornsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Heart of Darkness
    Posts
    9,503
    Quote Originally Posted by DMT View Post
    Our 2K troops were never going to make a difference in a war they had no authorization being a part of to begin with. I agree that Trump is not the man to be making these decisions but this is one of the few things he's done right IMO.
    The reason that we stay in places like Syria is this: We can prevent wholesale slaughter of a group of people. Erdogan has pretty much publicly announced today that he intends to go after both ISIS and the Kurds who were our allies in that region. That makes a difference to thousands of people who've been pretty loyal to the US. It's going to be the same in Afghanistan for women...we pull out and it's literally back to the stone age for them.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

    "Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

  5. #6335
    All Star DMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Hornsby View Post
    The reason that we stay in places like Syria is this: We can prevent wholesale slaughter of a group of people. Erdogan has pretty much publicly announced today that he intends to go after both ISIS and the Kurds who were our allies in that region. That makes a difference to thousands of people who've been pretty loyal to the US. It's going to be the same in Afghanistan for women...we pull out and it's literally back to the stone age for them.
    That argument justifies deploying troops to countless locations and remaining in the middle east forever. No thanks.

    Also, it ignores the destabilizing effect our troop presence has in the region.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

    Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

    How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

  6. #6336
    Quote Originally Posted by DMT View Post
    Not a chance. Why would the Democrats cave on an issue that most Americans agree with them on now when Trump is in his weakest position? They're going to sit back and watch the petulant man-child further implode by forcing a shut-down when he doesn't get what he wants.
    show your pride when telling a DACA family member how much you "feel their pain"

    though, not as much as you feel the joy in sticking it to an unstable, unpopular President. it's all about priorities, you see, and sorry, DACAs, stay in the back of the line. we have a pig to poke......
    heading into my 36th year in same 12-team NL 5x5
    AVG collapse last Sept left us finishing 4th
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

    UPDATED! 2019 keeper candidates (can keep up to 11)
    SP AWood 5, CSmith 1, DHolland 10
    RP Jeffress 1, Dominguez 10, Knebel 2
    C Realmuto 13, 3B Longoria 15, 2S KMarte 10, 2B Kendrick 8, 2S Hanson 10
    OF Harper 41, Eaton 18, FCordero 10, Williamson 10

  7. #6337
    All Star DMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,172
    Quote Originally Posted by Judge Jude View Post
    show your pride when telling a DACA family member how much you "feel their pain"

    though, not as much as you feel the joy in sticking it to an unstable, unpopular President. it's all about priorities, you see, and sorry, DACAs, stay in the back of the line. we have a pig to poke......
    Spare me the moral relativism.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

    Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

    How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

  8. #6338
    Quote Originally Posted by DMT View Post
    That argument justifies deploying troops to countless locations and remaining in the middle east forever. No thanks.

    Also, it ignores the destabilizing effect our troop presence has in the region.
    Here is one where DMT and I agree. Maybe not for the same exact reason, but in my mind if citizens in countries want their freedoms they are the ones that are going to have to fight for it and gain it. How many efforts to "spread freedom" have failed because the places we go proselytizing the good news of freedom and human rights either arent ready or honestly just dont have a culture that believes that freedom is necessarily a good thing.
    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address


    "When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

  9. #6339
    All Star DMT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    9,172
    Quote Originally Posted by baldgriff View Post
    Here is one where DMT and I agree. Maybe not for the same exact reason, but in my mind if citizens in countries want their freedoms they are the ones that are going to have to fight for it and gain it. How many efforts to "spread freedom" have failed because the places we go proselytizing the good news of freedom and human rights either arent ready or honestly just dont have a culture that believes that freedom is necessarily a good thing.
    That sounds pretty close to my reasoning as well. "Humanitarian interventionism" is the liberal equivalent of neo-conservatism.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

    Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

    How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

  10. #6340
    Big Leaguer
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,316
    Quote Originally Posted by DMT View Post
    Our 2K troops were never going to make a difference in a war they had no authorization being a part of to begin with. I agree that Trump is not the man to be making these decisions but this is one of the few things he's done right IMO.
    I could not agree more.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •