This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
    They've certainly been "accused of federal crimes" though.

I'm also interested to see if he can issue pardons before charges are laid, but the wording revo relayed is very loose.
    Isn't there precedent with Nixon? He hadn't been charged for anything involving Watergate when Ford pardoned him.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
      Isn't there precedent with Nixon? He hadn't been charged for anything involving Watergate when Ford pardoned him.
      One of the worst decisions in presidential history.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        According to the Constitution, he can only pardon someone "convicted or accused of federal crimes." Ivanka and Kushner are among those being considered. What federal crime are they being accused of?
        That's not the wording in the Constitution.

"The President shall...have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment."
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
          That's not the wording in the Constitution.

"The President shall...have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment."
          Under the Constitution, only federal criminal convictions, such as those adjudicated in the United States District Courts, may be pardoned by the President.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            Under the Constitution, only federal criminal convictions, such as those adjudicated in the United States District Courts, may be pardoned by the President.
            https://www.justice.gov/pardon/pardo...d-instructions
            That's the Department of Justice regulations on how to apply for a pardon. That's not what the Constitution says. I agree that the Constitution restricts it to federal offenses, but it doesn't say that a conviction has to have happened.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Look, I think a bunch of Trump's pardons, including of Stone and Flynn, are impeachable abuses of power and ought to have resulted in his removal from office. But we all know that won't happen, unfortunately. And I think the prospect of him preemptively pardoning his children and Guiliani is just as abominable, if not moreso.

But if we are talking about the technical constitutionality and what the courts would uphold, as opposed to what is right or what is good for the country, it's a different matter. I do think he would have to specify what federal offenses he was pardoning them for in order for it to be constitutionally valid. But I don't agree with the argument that they would have to be already charged/convicted for those crimes.

Comment

• Here's a good article from Pete Williams at NBC about the Pardon Power:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/don...-been-n1249707
                "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• The Devil went down to Georgia
                  He was lookin' for an election to steal
                  He was in a bind 'cause he was way behind
                  And he was willin' to make a deal
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• The White House isn't the only place that the Loser-In-Chief is getting evicted from.

According to The Washington Post, some of Trump’s Palm Beach neighbors have written a formal letter, delivered to both town officials and the Secret Service on Tuesday, stating in no uncertain terms that the president had better find housing elsewhere. Noting an agreement Trump signed in 1993, the letter reminds all those copied that he lost the legal right to live at the club full-time and that in order to “avoid an embarrassing situation” wherein the soon-to-be-former president moves in and then is forced to leave, the town should notify Trump ASAP that he cannot live there.

Under the agreement, club members are banned from spending more than 21 days a year in the club’s guest suites and cannot stay there for any longer than seven consecutive days. Before the arrangement was sealed, an attorney for Trump assured the town council in a public meeting that he would not live at Mar-a-Lago.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                      The White House isn't the only place that the Loser-In-Chief is getting evicted from.

According to The Washington Post, some of Trump’s Palm Beach neighbors have written a formal letter, delivered to both town officials and the Secret Service on Tuesday, stating in no uncertain terms that the president had better find housing elsewhere. Noting an agreement Trump signed in 1993, the letter reminds all those copied that he lost the legal right to live at the club full-time and that in order to “avoid an embarrassing situation” wherein the soon-to-be-former president moves in and then is forced to leave, the town should notify Trump ASAP that he cannot live there.

Under the agreement, club members are banned from spending more than 21 days a year in the club’s guest suites and cannot stay there for any longer than seven consecutive days. Before the arrangement was sealed, an attorney for Trump assured the town council in a public meeting that he would not live at Mar-a-Lago.
                      Trump does what he wants and dares you to make him do otherwise.
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Any tweets by Trump that undermine the election outcome will now be labeled with: "Election officials have certified Joe Biden as the winner of the U.S. Presidential election."

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• So, the Loser-in-Chief just thanked Republican lawmakers for their four years of loyal support by throwing them all under the stimulus bus because they won't help him with his baseless election fraud claims. Supporters and loyalists yesterday...suckers and losers today.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• The Secret Service should do the country a favor and all call in sick at the same time that Baby is golfing. See what happens to him when he has to take public transit by himself back to the white house.

Comment

• Oh great, now they are saying the Nashville bombing suspect was a 5G conspiracy theorist.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                                Oh great, now they are saying the Nashville bombing suspect was a 5G conspiracy theorist.
                                Speaking of which, has our fearless head conspiracy theorist condemned the act of domestic terrorism? I haven't seen or heard anything yet. I wonder if it has anything to with the guy being white.

Comment

Working...
                                X