This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Seems to me that RJ was dying a slow death long before any of what you said happened. To me, that's just the way of the internet message board world. People find other things to occupy their time.
    We lost a ton of people in the website changeover, and it's been a slow downhill ever since then.

I imagine there are a variety of causes, some of them societal like you mention, some because the original crew has gotten older, started having families and careers that take up more time, etc.

This place is nearly 20 years old, probably should be more of a surprise that it's still around at all than that it has dwindled over the past decade.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      Baseball Think Factory ran into similar issues of toxic posts on its "Off-Topic" thread earlier this year.

they, too, lost a significant portion of their overall audience before they nuked "OT" - and no one seems to miss it, except for a handful of bitter, angry people who lost a megaphone.

it's a nice conceit to say "well, we walled it off into a single cesspool, so everybody shut up."

that's not how website message boards work, in reality. as long as there is a toxic element, posters will tend to vote with their feet and walk away.

it's like the old saying about a comedian who blames the audience for not laughing at his jokes. the customer is always right.

here, the customers walked away when a small minority annexed power at the website.

and I should add that I'll accept responsibility for whatever role I played in the downturn.
      Like others have said, RJ has diminished in numbers for several different reasons, the conversation has always had an edge to it when it came to certain posters, the topic did not matter.

I could list names of those people, myself included, who bloviate on occasion (or regularly) and that list would be littered with site owners and moderators.

Baseball, politics, religion, vintage draft it does not matter, conflict occurs.

I get it JJ, you're not a fan of the current tone in the Hot Topic forum. You're trying hard to change the vibe in here. You won't succeed. I'd suggest leaving ing the "cesspool" to those of us who enjoy splashing around in it. Change the channel, turn down the volume, take a vacation. Because right now, you're actually the only one who seems bitter and as I've said before. That's not the JJ I remember.

Take care.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• "right now, you're actually the only one who seems bitter"

ok, you made me LOL

more than one thing can be true at the same time: the site inevitably would see the number of posters decline AND that number has accelerated thanks to the bile being spewed. (should have started with SPOILER ALERT!)

"You're trying hard to change the vibe in here. You won't succeed."

seems to be true. the inmates have taken over the asylum.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• These threads are basically for the professional arguers/debaters. I'm surprised at how much time some of you spend trying to convince the other side of anything. I'll admit I'm for whoever runs against Trump as I think he is the biggest threat and embarrassment to the US, like ever. With that said, I don't participate much in these threads as I know nothing anyone posts about Obama or Clinton will change my mind about Trump and nothing I could post about Trump will convince the Trump supporters of anything either(even those who defend him as if he's their first born but really don't care for him). It will be a great relief when we go back to having a normal country.

Comment

• At the end of the day, this place has been dying a slow death since well before the whole move fiasco. As Doig said, the topics, and the posters, have been largely irrelevant to keeping the place healthy. The conservative posters, IIRC, seemed to have little to do with posting on other topics, at least in the past few years, so I see their moving on as a fairly natural fallout of death of a message board.

This place has never been a football hotbed, nor basketball, strictly baseball. It peaks in spring training, and slowly ebbs away during the summer months as interest fades for roto fans.

I suspect that it'll be gone in another 2-3 years, and a few of us will mourn it passing, but we'll find other places to frequent.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• I think that in retrospect, at the point where the political chatter became increasingly confrontational, the best path would have been a private polling of the then-regulars on whether to double-down with a "hot topics" thread - or to get rid of that stuff entirely from a fantasy baseball site.

then at least the result would have been what a majority of regulars sought.

I mean, I didn't think of it at the time either - so it's not a criticism. more of a lament.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                I think that in retrospect, at the point where the political chatter became increasingly confrontational, the best path would have been a private polling of the then-regulars on whether to double-down with a "hot topics" thread - or to get rid of that stuff entirely from a fantasy baseball site.

then at least the result would have been what a majority of regulars sought.

I mean, I didn't think of it at the time either - so it's not a criticism. more of a lament.
                My question would be--Why?

Every one of us has a choice to come into this subforum or not to.

I don't go into the regular topic sports bar because the topics aren't my cup of tea (one can only get into so many Ärtist de Jour, song draft threads and keep one's sanity

I don't enter the non baseball sports threads and when I do read the baseball forum, I only open topics I want to read about.

I don't understand why you can't be happy doing the same --It's obvious you're not happy dealing with this sub forum and it's atmosphere.

In any case, as someone who's been here since the sites inception, I'm absolutely against eliminating the Sports Bar from RJ. That includes the Hot Topic sub forum.
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Trump has been bringing up attacking hurricanes with bombing, including nuking a hurricane.

I did not enjoy the cult film Idiocracy, but I gotta say this real life simulation is even worse.

https://www.axios.com/trump-nuclear-...cf0e3f51c.html
                  Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    My question would be--Why?

Every one of us has a choice to come into this subforum or not to.

I don't go into the regular topic sports bar because the topics aren't my cup of tea (one can only get into so many Ärtist de Jour, song draft threads and keep one's sanity

I don't enter the non baseball sports threads and when I do read the baseball forum, I only open topics I want to read about.

I don't understand why you can't be happy doing the same --It's obvious you're not happy dealing with this sub forum and it's atmosphere.

In any case, as someone who's been here since the sites inception, I'm absolutely against eliminating the Sports Bar from RJ. That includes the Hot Topic sub forum.
                    GITH, you have won the war.

I believe that most (kind of) current and mainly departed posters do not share your view, so your victory ultimately may ring hollow. maybe some founders will regret handing you and your brethren the keys, but that's for them to decide. this torched, barren landscape is yours to - I don't know, enjoy, if that's the word.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• I find it funny that I'm one of the most active political posters on the board, constant article links and quotes and YouTube clips, and yet 90% of it is ignored... yet when I say "ding dong, Koch is dead" it sets off a mini-firestorm...

I appreciate Judge Jude posting Matt Taibbi highlights, and links to reputable sources (just as 1 example) because it shows he cares about issues. I may disagree with his conclusions, but I appreciate the effort to have an elevated discourse. Most of the right wingers that have left, posted mere opinion and trash, and i largely do not miss their content. I would miss Judge Jude, and many others here. But the bloviating on moral degradation that Teenwolf has wrought?... c'mon... I have a loud and obnoxious style, and if you cross MY perceived line, I call it out. But I do wish people cared more about serious content. I would trade all of the discourse on "tone" to add 1/10th more discourse on substance and we'd be much better off. But if you all prefer hysterically decrying my offensive takedowns of scumbags, there's not much i can do about that. I'm just being me.
                      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                        But I do wish people cared more about serious content.
                        Well, Canadian Trump perhaps if your tone were more civil, there would be more serious content. It amazes me that everyone calls out the real Donald trump for his lack of tone, and that the left is looking for more civil discourse, but here in RJ land it's the left that has lack of tone and civility.
                        "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                        - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                        - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Originally posted by In the Corn View Post
                          Well, Canadian Trump perhaps if your tone were more civil, there would be more serious content. It amazes me that everyone calls out the real Donald trump for his lack of tone, and that the left is looking for more civil discourse, but here in RJ land it's the left that has lack of tone and civility.
                          I think that's somewhat of a generalization, don't you?

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

"You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Just an observation - in here I expect mudslinging. However I expect more - much more - from my country's elected leaders (and am constantly amazed that this isn't generally the case).
                              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Trump uses next year's G-7 meeting to possibly get new business for his sagging Doral Club in Miami. *sigh*

BIARRITZ, France — President Trump is eyeing a new showcase for his hotel business: next year’s Group of Seven summit.

The president on Monday used a bilateral meeting with German Chancellor Angela Merkel to plug the Trump National Doral golf resort in Florida, which he touted as a likely location for next year’s G-7 summit.

“It seems to set up the best,” he said. Among the attributes he cited for the resort: foreign delegations could each have their own buildings; its “very big, great conference rooms”; its “tremendous acreage”; and its proximity to the Miami International Airport, which he said “takes planes from everywhere.”

Comment

Working...
                                X