Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Romney at least voted to convict on impeachment. I'm not saying he's without blame, but he has a lot more ground to stand on than Susan Collins or any of the other Republicans.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Trump finally wears a mask while visiting wounded service members at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center on Saturday. His followers must be so confused right now.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• I found this outcome hilarious, given how dangerous and hurtful so many of the conspiracy theories he touts...funny to me that one finally may backfire onto him:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...pera-paranoia/

It is a case of being hoisted by his own petard.

President Trump has convinced his own supporters of the false conspiracy theory that mail-in ballots are subject to rampant fraud — so much so that Republicans are, evidently, refusing to vote by mail.

The Post’s Amy Gardner and Josh Dawsey report that Democratic voters have embraced mail ballots in far greater numbers than Republicans in primaries this year — alarming Republican strategists who say it could undercut their candidates, including Trump, particularly in states such as Florida and Arizona. In Michigan, Trump supporters actually burned absentee-ballot applications.

Comment

• Bezos has blocked that link until he gets paid. But, yeah that's some funny shit there.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
            Romney at least voted to convict on impeachment. I'm not saying he's without blame, but he has a lot more ground to stand on than Susan Collins or any of the other Republicans.
            If you consider the edge of the cliff better than one foot off the cliff, sure. Mitt knew that his vote on impeachment would be relatively meaningless...the votes were already counted and the fix was in.
            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              If you consider the edge of the cliff better than one foot off the cliff, sure. Mitt knew that his vote on impeachment would be relatively meaningless...the votes were already counted and the fix was in.
              I'd argue it actually would have been far easier for him to vote to convict if 20 other Republicans were standing with him. He took a lot of grief for that vote.

He's not my favorite politician, but on the single most important vote taken in the Senate in the last 3.5 years, he was on the right side of history, when 52 of his colleagues were not. I give him some credit for that.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• We'll have to agree to disagree on this...was he on the right side of the issue? Yes, but he also knew that his vote was essentially irrelevant given the lockstep of the GOP senators. Yes, he took grief, but he also had 5 years until the next election for voters to forget what he did, or for them to shrug their shoulders.

Does he deserve some credit...a little, IMO. But it was no John McCain moment where his vote turned the tide on an essential issue.
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

• He's the only Senator in US history to vote to impeach a president from his own party, he definitely deserves credit for doing that. Now, does that excuse him for voting with his Republican colleagues on all the other awful shit they've done over the past three and a half years? Like confirming completely unqualified people for lifetime judicial appointments? Of course not. But I've definitely gained respect for Mitt.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                    We'll have to agree to disagree on this...was he on the right side of the issue? Yes, but he also knew that his vote was essentially irrelevant given the lockstep of the GOP senators. Yes, he took grief, but he also had 5 years until the next election for voters to forget what he did, or for them to shrug their shoulders.

Does he deserve some credit...a little, IMO. But it was no John McCain moment where his vote turned the tide on an essential issue.
                    I give him more credit than you do, but I don't think we're actually too far apart. I also give McCain more credit. I think I'm partly just desperate for someone from the party I used to call home to display a backbone and love of country.

Comment

• Cripes, don't get seitzer talking about his dick... we never hear the end of it in the vintage draft threads.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                        Cripes, don't get seitzer talking about his dick... we never hear the end of it in the vintage draft threads.
                        Well, it is the "Hot Topics" thread, after all.
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                          Well, it is the "Hot Topics" thread, after all.
                          Somehow I posted this in the wrong thread. It was supposed to be a reply to GITH saying everything is bigger in Texas
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Attack the guy who enjoys 67% approval, genius strategy!

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                              Attack the guy who enjoys 67% approval, genius strategy!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1233612
                              It has worked for him in the past...when in doubt, blame someone else, anyone else, for your own failings. Your base will buy it. But in this case, no one else will. Most people trust Fauci more. Even many Trump supporters know to listen to Fauci and not Trump on COVID. It seems clear it took this pandemic to wake a lot of folks up to the danger of having an incompetent demagogue with no real leadership skills as a leader. But the thing that still gets me is that the polling shows that the majority of Republicans, even, don't trust Trump on this pandemic and yet they still approve of him overall. I don't get it. How can you recognize that the man is lying to you and handling the worst pandemic of our lifetimes so poorly, and how devastating that is across the board, and you still say to your self, "but besides the wake of death and destruction he leaves behind, he is a pretty good president...I'm still on board." Really? Mind-boggling.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                                It has worked for him in the past...when in doubt, blame someone else, anyone else, for your own failings. Your base will buy it. But in this case, no one else will. Most people trust Fauci more. Even many Trump supporters know to listen to Fauci and not Trump on COVID. It seems clear it took this pandemic to wake a lot of folks up to the danger of having an incompetent demagogue with no real leadership skills as a leader. But the thing that still gets me is that the polling shows that the majority of Republicans, even, don't trust Trump on this pandemic and yet they still approve of him overall. I don't get it. How can you recognize that the man is lying to you and handling the worst pandemic of our lifetimes so poorly, and how devastating that is across the board, and you still say to your self, "but besides the wake of death and destruction he leaves behind, he is a pretty good president...I'm still on board." Really? Mind-boggling.
                                Racism is a powerful emotion.
                                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X