This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    So I would agree there isn't much actual pro-Trump representation on this board any more. Most of the remaining pro-Trump postings here are meant to keep all of us "lefties" from our TDS.

My point was that my perception of the politics here is that if you represented 0 with extreme liberal, 50 in the middle, and 100 with extreme conservative, that I think a lot of our posters who are still around fall into the 30-60 band. I would agree there aren't many remaining who are in the >60 category. But I do think people's perceptions of the board's political lean is skewed by the fact that our posters who are 10's on that scale like to post a lot.
    I agree with your 30-60 band with a few 10s sprinkled in.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
      What you are describing is the fact that this board leans heavily left and the only remnants of Trump support in any form or fashion are those moderates who can put up with him.
      I don't even think we have a lot of that... just haters of perceived hypocrisy or hyperbole. Hell, I take issue with the way shit is said here even when I agree with the most policy points being made.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by gcstomp View Post
        the fact that this board leans heavily left and the only remnants of Trump support in any form or fashion are those moderates who can put up with him

I do not agree that this statement is true. heavily left, that seems very off? but not important so we can disagree without further swatting at waves.

Does the following feel true to you, as it does to me? People all think of themselves as good and hard working people, trying to get through life best they can? I mean think of yourself, think of your family, think of whoever, people do not wake up and think, I am going to be a dick and hurt others, right? they may think, how am i going to pay this bill, or what can i do to get through this painful day. or maybe like me they have a strong self defense streak, someone hits me I hit back 10 times harder and am puzzled they seem confused at result.

How do we have groups of people who can hear the trump rally, where you can break down his every sentence as a lie, or furthering hate, dare I say evil, or simplly attacks for sake of diversion, and yet 40% of pop weave a web of excuses such as see this is a guy using rough real non politician talk, and cheer him?
        I think a lot of people enjoy the trolling. They feel they aren't being listened to, that their concerns are not being addressed by the left, and that the left is leaving them behind. They are the other side of Kevin Seitzer. They are the people in Minn, Wisconsin, Ohio, and PA that are traditionally Union liberals that voted for Trump because they feel the socially progressive aspects of the liberal agenda are leaving them out. They enjoy watching people go ballistic over Trump's BS because it gives liberals the sense of what they have been feeling.

I don't agree with any of this, but I think it's why people enjoy his shit... they have lost faith in government and just want to watch shit burn.
        Last edited by heyelander; 10-11-2019, 08:30 PM.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          I don't even think we have a lot of that... just haters of perceived hypocrisy or hyperbole. Hell, I take issue with the way shit is said here even when I agree with the most policy points being made.
          I think there is a lot of truth in your post

Comment

Why should anyone have to say something in any other manner than what is accurate? If someone's acting like an ass, why can't you say exactly that?

Pleas explain what's accomplished by being less than totally honest.
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              I have a friend who thinks Trump is going to end the Republic. He believes Trump, backed by the GOP, will thwart impeachment, declare the next election results fraudulent, and become our de facto dictator. I have a bit more faith in our government, and the limits of the loyalty of the nebbish sycophants in government that prop Trump up. McConnell may want to sell our souls for Trump to finish his term, but I think even he will turn the sword on Trump is he declares the next election a fraud--which we will know is a certainty, if he loses, which I am also starting to believe is a certainty.
              Americans might soon wish they just waited to vote their way out of the Trump era

I enjoy reading Taibbi, don't always agree, but at least I find him interesting and thought provoking. This is somewhat related to your post
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I think a lot of people enjoy the trolling. They feel they aren't being listened to, that their concerns are not being addressed by the left, and that the left is leaving them behind. They are the other side of Kevin Seitzer. They are the people in Minn, Wisconsin, Ohio, and PA that are traditionally Union liberals that voted for Trump because they feel the socially progressive aspects of the liberal agenda are leaving them out. They enjoy watching people go ballistic over Trump's BS because it gives liberals the sense of what they have been feeling.

I don't agree with any of this, but I think it's why people enjoy his shit... they have lost faith in government and just want to watch shit burn.
                I agree with this, which is why, unfortunately, that something bad has to happen to them personally in order for them to realize the damage they caused by electing and supporting him.

As my friends who are supporters believe, a global recession may be the end result of his Trade War, but yet that's worth it to inflict what may ultimately be minimal damage on China. So, in turn, a recession to get Trumpies to understand what they’ve done may be in order.

I think this is why many anti-Trumpers are negative, myself included, because nothing will sink in with them, except maybe a hit to their pocketbook.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~

This story is proof positive that "white supremacy" and "Trump" go hand in hand. A Cuban-American author spoke at Georgia Southern University yesterday, and the basis of her fictional book is white privilege and how the protagonist deals with it. Well, according to the article, "during the Q&A portion of her presentation, she says a white student questioned whether she had the authority to address issues of race and white privilege on campus."

This resulted in an argument among the student attendees and ultimately a book burning, lol, but what did some of the privileged white students yell at the other students? Yup -- "Trump 2020!!!"

Now why would they yell that out? Hmmmmm.....anyone know?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                  I agree with this, which is why, unfortunately, that something bad has to happen to them personally in order for them to realize the damage they caused by electing and supporting him.
                  This is essentially what I got shit for saying to Art.
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    This is essentially what I got shit for saying to Art.
                    I’m talking more economically than physically in nature — a recession, an industry in ruins, a factory closing, changes to Medicaid or Social Security, etc. Like I said, a hit to their pocketbook.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                      https://taibbi.substack.com/p/were-in-a-permanent-coup

I enjoy reading Taibbi, don't always agree, but at least I find him interesting and thought provoking. This is somewhat related to your post
                      Thanks for posting that

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                        https://taibbi.substack.com/p/were-in-a-permanent-coup

It is interesting, and I see some truth to the perspective, but in the end, it is just a rebuke of Trump haters and a defense for not impeaching, and I think that is wrong-minded. How we got here may have been because opposition forces have had a close eye on Trump, and an ax to grind. But of course, he gave them good reasons for both. And again, impeachment is not a Coup, and I fear the powers Trump is trying to take for himself more than the powers used against him. Trump should be impeached based on his actions, or we have decided he has moved the line of acceptable behavior so far, we are now accepting things that are worse than got Nixon impeached.

There is internal abuse of power, which is bad, and then there is solicitation of external interference, from countries that want us in a state of chaos, and the constant eroding of public confidence in all levels of government--the executive branch from those who despise Trump, and every other branch, the intelligence community, and the media, from those who believe Trump when he says he is right and everyone else is wrong. He is like a gremlin bashing away at our institutions with a hammer, spewing his acidic bile all over everything, a parasite killing its host. The sooner we can excise this tumor on our democracy, the quicker I can stop mixing so many metaphors trying to illustrate how bad he is .
                        Last edited by Sour Masher; 10-13-2019, 09:06 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                          It is interesting, and I see some truth to the perspective, but in the end, it is just a rebuke of Trump haters and a defense for not impeaching, and I think that is wrong-minded. How we got here may have been because opposition forces have had a close eye on Trump, and an ax to grind. But of course, he gave them good reasons for both. And again, impeachment is not a Coup, and I fear the powers Trump is trying to take for himself more than the powers used against him. Trump should be impeached based on his actions, or we have decided he has moved the line of acceptable behavior so far, we are now accepting things that are worse than got Nixon impeached.

There is internal abuse of power, which is bad, and then there is solicitation of external interference, from countries that want us in a state of chaos, and the constant eroding of public confidence in all levels of government--the executive branch from those who despise Trump, and every other branch, the intelligence community, and the media, from those who believe Trump when he says he is right and everyone else is wrong. He is like a gremlin bashing away at our institutions with a hammer, spewing his acidic bile all over everything, a parasite killing its host. The sooner we can excise this tumor on our democracy, the quicker I can stop mixing so many metaphors trying to illustrate how bad he is .
                          I don't really follow the details of Russiagate and Ukraingate as much as most probably do. I've got no problem impeaching Trump if warranted. I don't spend much time hoping for it or trying to figure out if it will happen. Or even if it should. I'm deeply distrustful of our military/intelligence agencies and their power, which was one of the themes that resonated with me.
                          Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Wtf?!?

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• i don't see how a war between Syria and Turkey can be prevented. i haven't been reading up on everything but i used to. it could be that Syria doesn't have the military assets anymore and won't provoke Turkey too much. Syria had a pretty decent military before having built it up to wrangle with Israel. Russia and Iran is a concern but i think Russia has mostly gone home. it could be that we have an agreement with Russia if we stand down they will and let Turkey, Syria, Iran and the Peshmerga work it out. at the very least Turkey wants to colonize that strip of land on their borders with Syrian Turks -3 million Syrian war refugees.

There's no way the Kurdish YPG can stand up to Turkey. and the Turks are crazy and well armed and organized. they have the 4th largest military in the world. what they are doing right now is something they've been waiting to do for a long time. they might be hoping they can annex the area in Syria where their leaders tomb is but it's been respected by everyone else for like a 100 years so they might not be trying to do that. Russia has a lot of financial incentives to play nice with the Turks.

in the end everything has to play out the way it is. there's no other way. i definitely favor the Kurds but the YPG is going to lose and there's nothing anyone can do about it. i guess the question is about what they can hold on to. they might be able to keep some lands.

Comment

Isn't there only one way to say "shit"?
                                “There’s no normal life, Wyatt, it’s just life. Get on with it.” – Doc Holliday

"It doesn't matter what you think" - The Rock

"I borked the entry." - Some dude on the Internet

Have I told you about otters being the only marine animal that can lift rocks?

Comment

Working...
                                X