This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Well, I guess that's where we differ. If you agree that he's in way over his head, then why does he have the job? Because he was an early supporter of Trump, and that's all that matters to him. The media brings up these little episodes to remind us all how incompetent some of these political hacks are and how partisan the Trump administration really is. Every president dating back to Ford took a bipartisan approach to their cabinet to find the best people. But not Trump. Instead, he just lies about it to his base, because lies seem to work really well on them.
    I think we only really differ in nuance. I'm not sure a reasonable person can truly call Ben Carson incompetent. He most certainly isn't incompetent as a world renown neurosurgeon. And, even though running HUD isn't brain surgery, he clearly is not qualified for his current job as its head. I don't think your bolded comment is very accurate, but your mileage may vary. If you look at just the past Administration, I don't recall there being much, if any, bi-partisanship in the Cabinet. I know... more whataboutery! But, as my good friend DMT likes to say, both sides lie, so...
    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• This push for impeachment seems to have a new source. Initially, it was pretty broad based because pretty much all Democrats hate Trump. Lately, the more liberal wing has taken up new interests, eg the Green New Deal. Then, leadership cooled when it began to look like Trump would survive. Now the push seems to be coming from the power brokers and money sources. If appearances are correct, this may be about creating smoke. I think the DoJ probes, IG investigation, and USA Durham has them worried.

J
      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
        I think we only really differ in nuance. I'm not sure a reasonable person can truly call Ben Carson incompetent. He most certainly isn't incompetent as a world renown neurosurgeon. And, even though running HUD isn't brain surgery, he clearly is not qualified for his current job as its head. I don't think your bolded comment is very accurate, but your mileage may vary. If you look at just the past Administration, I don't recall there being much, if any, bi-partisanship in the Cabinet. I know... more whataboutery! But, as my good friend DMT likes to say, both sides lie, so...
        My comment was very accurate, because I researched it before I posted.

GOP Cabinet appointees under Obama included the Sec'y of Veterans Affairs, the Sec'y of Transportation, and two Secretaries of Defense. That doesn't include non-Cabinet level secretaries and other prominent positions, such as Chairman of the Fed and Ambassadors. In fact, Obama not only had the most bipartisan Cabinet-level appointees ever, but he had TWICE as many as any other administration! So looks like your mileage varied, and you ran out of gas.

As far as Ben Carson, he is incompetent in terms of his job, unless brain surgery is part of the duties of running HUD.

In other Dopey news, he decided to pull a $2 Trillion bi-partisan infrastructure deal that would benefit, you know, all Americans, unless the Dems stop all investigations of him. Boo-hoo. GOPers here, tell me how his latest temper tantrum helps you. That's OK, I'll wait.

Comment

My comment was very accurate, because I researched it before I posted.

GOP Cabinet appointees under Obama included the Sec'y of Veterans Affairs, the Sec'y of Transportation, and two Secretaries of Defense. That doesn't include non-Cabinet level secretaries and other prominent positions, such as Chairman of the Fed and Ambassadors. In fact, Obama not only had the most bipartisan Cabinet-level appointees ever, but he had TWICE as many as any other administration! So looks like your mileage varied, and you ran out of gas.

As far as Ben Carson, he is incompetent in terms of his job, unless brain surgery is part of the duties of running HUD.

In other Dopey news, he decided to pull a $2 Trillion bi-partisan infrastructure deal that would benefit, you know, all Americans, unless the Dems stop all investigations of him. Boo-hoo. GOPers here, tell me how his latest temper tantrum helps you. That's OK, I'll wait.
          I guess I’m outta gas. Oh well. Let me try something unique around here. You proved me wrong on Obama’s administration. It was more “bipartisan” than other recent cabinets, I guess.

You want bi-partisan,18 angry Democrats made up the Mueller team! Yes, I’m just kidding, before posters start crying again.

I’m not sure how one measures “bi-partisan” exactly, but Obama had 4 cabinet level people who identified as Republican or Independent out of nearly 50 appointees. Almost every other cabinet since Kennedy had one, maybe two. That’s like your assessment of bi-partisan votes where 3 republicans vote with the Dem majority in the House but 163 don’t. I’m don’t define that as bi-partisan. But I’m outta gas so... I’m probably wrong on that too.
          Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 05-22-2019, 03:53 PM.
          I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Ben Carson wants housing subsidies to be only for citizens. That is enough to enrage Democrats and gain Republican support. If you look at the ones saying he's incompetent, it's the same people that claimed Trump is incompetent. Trump has proven them wrong, so I give Carson the benefit of any doubt.

In other events, things are starting to boil in the House but where do we go from here? Subpoenas keep flying and the WH is swatting them, "on advice of counsel." Following some contempt votes, which have no legal power of which I am aware, it is hard to see what is coming next from the Democrats. If it's a ploy to divert from the DoJ investigations, I don't think they are making headway.

In the meantime, conservative talk show host Mark Steyn is saying that the Trump/Russia investigation was an attempted coup by the permanent bureaucracy and the incoming administration. If there is any shred of validity to that view, some bureaucrats will have hell to pay.

J
            Last edited by onejayhawk; 05-22-2019, 05:02 PM.
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

I guess I’m outta gas. Oh well. Let me try something unique around here. You proved me wrong on Obama’s administration. It was more “bipartisan” than other recent cabinets, I guess.

You want bi-partisan,18 angry Democrats made up the Mueller team! Yes, I’m just kidding, before posters start crying again.

I’m not sure how one measures “bi-partisan” exactly, but Obama had 4 cabinet level people who identified as Republican or Independent out of nearly 50 appointees. Almost every other cabinet since Kennedy had one, maybe two. That’s like your assessment of bi-partisan votes where 3 republicans vote with the Dem majority in the House but 163 don’t. I’m don’t define that as bi-partisan. But I’m outta gas so... I’m probably wrong on that too.
              You’re correct — you are indeed wrong. There are 24 "Cabinet-Level" positions. That’s it.

Comment

You’re correct — you are indeed wrong. There are 24 "Cabinet-Level" positions. That’s it.
                He's right. Some of the positions were nominated more than once, even filled more than once. For example, Secretary of State.

J
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

Your original comment was something to the effect of “Every President since Ford has taken a bipartisan approach to finding the best people to filling their cabinet” while criticizing Trumps choices for his cabinet appointees. My counter was that cabinets have largely been filled with same party players with the exception of one or two per administration, or something to that effect. My response was a correct statement. But on to your new point:

Yes, there are 24 cabinet level positions (including President and VP). Of the 22 appointed cabinet positions, some posts had as many as 4 different appointees during Obama’s 8 years. There were approximately 50 total senate confirmed appointees (52 to be exact, excluding Obama and Biden) to fill those 22 cabinet positions and only 4 appointees were non-Democrats. By the way, since we’re getting picky, that’s less than 8% of his appointees being other than Democrats. Maybe this is your definition of bipartisan. If you want to say it was the most bipartisan cabinet in the last 50 years, I’ll concede, but being the tallest midget at the midget convention still makes you a midget. My mileage definitely varies. Ya know, when I have gas and all.
                  Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 05-23-2019, 07:48 AM.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

If the Democrats really were intent on getting some infrastructure bills passed, with the Presidents support, why would Nancy Pelosi walk into the negotiations immediately after calling Trump a criminal? Hardly a way to win friends and influence people. And, ya know, if he’s the dope you make him out to be, and as egotistical as thought, he should be very easily manipulated by someone as skilled as Pelosi and/or Schumer to get whatever they want and serve their agenda. Agenda, that’s right they have only one agenda; 2020. Sure hope they don’t fuck that up with their skilled gamesmanship!

Do you honestly believe they were ever going to agree to anything Trump proposed any way.

How does Nancy Pelosi’s statement of “We believe that the President of the United States is engaged in a cover up.” help you? Pelosi knew exactly what she was doing.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

If the Democrats really were intent on getting some infrastructure bills passed, with the Presidents support, why would Nancy Pelosi walk into the negotiations immediately after calling Trump a criminal? Hardly a way to win friends and influence people. And, ya know, if he’s the dope you make him out to be, and as egotistical as thought, he should be very easily manipulated by someone as skilled as Pelosi and/or Schumer to get whatever they want and serve their agenda. Agenda, that’s right they have only one agenda; 2020. Sure hope they don’t fuck that up with their skilled gamesmanship!

Do you honestly believe they were ever going to agree to anything Trump proposed any way.

How does Nancy Pelosi’s statement of “We believe that the President of the United States is engaged in a cover up.” help you? Pelosi knew exactly what she was doing.
                      Yep, skilled gamesmanship like getting him to admit, live and on camera, that he would take full responsibility for a government shutdown?

And are you saying he's not "easily manipulated?" He's quite possibly the most manipulated president we've ever had. He makes policy via twitter after seeing something he likes on Fox News. He uses his Twitter likes to prove his points. Then he changes his mind on something once someone gets him in a room. He's flip-flopped on so many things, it's not even funny. That's the reason why he's surrounded himself with Yes Men.

10 years from now Bernie, when the ink has dried on the manuscript of this disastrous administration, you'll look back and say, "wow, what the heck was I doing defending this guy?"

Comment

Yep, skilled gamesmanship like getting him to admit, live and on camera, that he would take full responsibility for a government shutdown?

And are you saying he's not "easily manipulated?" He's quite possibly the most manipulated president we've ever had. He makes policy via twitter after seeing something he likes on Fox News. He uses his Twitter likes to prove his points. Then he changes his mind on something once someone gets him in a room. He's flip-flopped on so many things, it's not even funny. That's the reason why he's surrounded himself with Yes Men.

10 years from now Bernie, when the ink has dried on the manuscript of this disastrous administration, you'll look back and say, "wow, what the heck was I doing defending this guy?"
                        I am not defending anyone. If you think the ink of history will reflect favorably on the Dems during this time, well, simply, you’re nuts. It won’t reflect well on anyone in DC.

I think he is easily manipulated. So why aren’t skilled manipulators taking much better advantage of this character flaw and getting things accomplished? I think we know the answer and it’s they are so locked into Delegitimizing his election that they’ve lost focus on what’s important to “we the people.” A pox on all their houses.

The shut down. Let’s talk about the shut down. Many Dems in previous congresses have pushed for more border security and even building of a wall. But, suddenly, or maybe more expediently, they have seen the light. Could it be because it was a campaign promise of the hated opponent or it is because there is some new found rationale on why walls and border security don’t work. DACA could have been solved. Infrastructure could have been addressed. But, no. Let’s investigate the shit out of him because he’s a bad man. This is not news. Yes, the guy is dumbass and said “blame the shut down on me.”

And the left claims anyone who dares point out their lunacy and over-exaggeration of anything Trump, well that person is a Delusional and ardent Trump supporter.

You’re intelligent, you know what you’re doing when you make some of these silly statements. Do you really absolve the Dems of any provocation for the shut down. If so, that’s not smart.
                        Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 05-23-2019, 09:04 AM.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

He should not take full responsibility for the shutdown. It takes both parties.

100 years from now, historians look back and consider Trump one of the more effective Presidents. They will wonder why there was so much unprincipled opposition and be shocked at the attacks on him that were defended by supposedly law respecting people. There are few things Americans hate more than law enforcement breaking the law to railroad an innocent man. Ten years from now you should be shocked at yourself for defending them.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post

100 years from now, historians look back and consider Trump one of the more effective Presidents. They will wonder why there was so much unprincipled opposition and be shocked at the attacks on him that were defended by supposedly law respecting people. There are few things Americans hate more than law enforcement breaking the law to railroad an innocent man. Ten years from now you should be shocked at yourself for defending them.

J
                            LOL. You crack me up.

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post

J
                              Hmmm, why don't we use some actual polls of historians thus far and see how this is playing out, shall we?

"Survey of scholars places Trump as third worst president of all time"
                              The Siena survey is conducted after each president has had a full year in office. It asks scholars to rank the presidents according to 20 categories.

Dead, Stinkin' Last
                              Nearly 200 political science scholars ranked American presidents on a scale from 0-100, or "failure" to "great."

He's even getting bested by William Henry Harrison, who lasted just 31 days in office!

So methinks historians and political scholars won't view this regime too kindly. It's more likely to be a forgotten blight on American history. Pink Floyd may have said it best: "A Momentary Lapse of Reason."

Today, Dopey says his former Secretary of State, the first key hire of his disastrous regime, is "dumb as a rock." And this is the best real headline I've ever seen, courtesy of Yahoo News:
                              "Trump declares man he appointed secretary of state 'totally ill prepared and ill equipped' for the job"

Yep Jay, historians will look back fondly on this disaster, just like they look back fondly on The Hindenburg.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                                LOL. You crack me up.
                                100 years from now, Cyborg Ted Cruz will be starting his 95th year in office, after his victory in the 2024 election. He was then given a lifetime appointment to the Presidency after he swept the electoral college, as there was little reason for elections from that point forward due to his overwhelming intellect, charm, beauty and likeability.

Comment

Working...
                                X