Page 706 of 751 FirstFirst ... 206606656696704705706707708716 ... LastLast
Results 7,051 to 7,060 of 7502

Thread: President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by nots View Post
    Didn’t answer my question-what’s the upside for Trump if McGhan testifies? He gains absolutely nothing from that and neither does McGhan.
    Well, by not testifying, McGahn now puts himself in line for up to a year of jailtime. So if he could afford to lose a year of his life to be the patsy for his now-former boss, so be it. I don't see how that's "nothing."

As far as Dandy Don, if it can be proven that he did in fact ask McGahn not to appear and be held in contempt, then that adds to his Obstruction woes and probably prods Congress to begin impeachment hearings. So the upside -- not getting impeached?

South of the Cheedar Curtain, in the land of the FIBs
    Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    Well, by not testifying, McGahn now puts himself in line for up to a year of jailtime. So if he could afford to lose a year of his life to be the patsy for his now-former boss, so be it. I don't see how that's "nothing."

As far as Dandy Don, if it can be proven that he did in fact ask McGahn not to appear and be held in contempt, then that adds to his Obstruction woes and probably prods Congress to begin impeachment hearings. So the upside -- not getting impeached?
    He's been "getting impeached" since he first took office!

By the way, the White House has officially blocked McGahn from testifying tomorrow. There sure is a lot of contempt going on.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/20/polit...ess/index.html

The White House's move to block McGahn has similarities to President George W. Bush's efforts to prevent his former White House counsel, Harriet Miers, from testifying. A federal judge in 2008 ruled against the Bush administration.

But that court ruling didn't stop the Obama administration from making similar arguments. In 2014, the Obama administration's Office of Legal Counsel wrote a memo that a senior White House adviser subpoenaed by the House Oversight Committee did not have to testify, arguing the President's immediate advisers had "absolute immunity from congressional compulsion to testify about matters that occur during the course of discharging their official duties."
    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Can McGahn be jailed for contempt charge? And who oversees that happening?

Welcome to the Big Leagues, Kid
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer View Post

By the way, the White House has officially blocked McGahn from testifying tomorrow. There sure is a lot of contempt going on.

But that was then and this is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Brewer View Post

Miers was found in Contempt of Congress by a vote of 223-32.

Holder was found in Contempt of Congress by a vote of 255-67.

So thank you for proving my point by bringing up two very accurate cases.

But, but, both sides, wahhhhhhhhhhh.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Yea we get it, you don't like Trump, but just love to use the "both sides do it" argument to defend pretty much anything he does. Oh right, you're not actually defending him, just exposing our hypocrisy in criticizing him. So nauseating.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Quote Originally Posted by DMT View Post
    Yea we get it, you don't like Trump, but just love to use the "both sides do it" argument to defend pretty much anything he does. Oh right, you're not actually defending him, just exposing our hypocrisy in criticizing him. So nauseating.
    Yawn. We agree on something. Just the Nauseating part. I haven’t called anybody a hypocrite but if the foo shits. \_(ツ)_/
    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by revo View Post
    Miers was found in Contempt of Congress by a vote of 223-32.

Holder was found in Contempt of Congress by a vote of 255-67.

So thank you for proving my point by bringing up two very accurate cases.
    Miers actually agreed to testify to have the charge dropped, but Holder never did in defiance of the contempt charge. Further, both votes were very partisan. The Holder vote resulted in Democrats voting 17 for, 65 against, 1 present, and 108 did not vote. For Miers her vote was also largely partisan, with only 3 Republicans for, 31 against, 1 present, and 163 did not vote.

And, just to be clear, CNN wasn’t referencing Holder in regards to Obama’s blocking of Testimony. They were referencing Obama’s blocking of Assistant Counsel to the President and Director of the Office of Political Strategy and Outreach (“OPSO”) David Simas testifying. Per Letter, “David Simas was legally required to appear to testify at a congressional hearing scheduled for July 16, 2014, in response to a subpoena issued to Mr. Simas by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform on July 10, 2014. We understand that the Committee seeks testimony about “whether the White House is taking adequate steps to ensure political activity by Administration officials complies with relevant statutes, including the Hatch Act,” and about “the role and function of the White House Office of Political Strategy and Outreach.” Letter for David Simas from the Hon. Darrell Issa, Chairman, Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, House of Representatives (July 3, 2014) (“Invitation Letter”). For the reasons set forth below, we believe that Mr. Simas is immune from compulsion to testify before the Committee on these matters, and therefore is not required to appear to testify in response to this subpoena.”
    Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 05-20-2019 at 09:15 PM.

Ronald Reagan

Regardless of what happened in those cases, the downside for McGahn was accurate, and those cases prove that Congress will indeed follow through on the threat. So McGahn will likely face, if Congress follows through, up to a year in prison. Of course, the likelihood is he will never see the inside of a jail cell, but in these highly partisan times, you never know.