This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
    And he responded, "Well, there's a lot of talk about the fact that she was married to her brother. I know nothing about it. I hear she was married to her brother. You're asking me a question about it. I don't know, but I'm sure that somebody would be looking at that."
    This is A+ perfect Trump speak. He....

.....implies that he's heard a lot about the rumor: "Well, there's a lot of talk about the fact that she was married to her brother."

.....but he doesn't know for sure: "I know nothing about it."

.....but even though he has no evidence, he then says it again as fact: "I hear she was married to her brother."

.....but denies again: "You're asking me a question about it. I don't know"

.....before giving it more credence to it by saying that it's serious: "but I'm sure that somebody would be looking at that."

So it's just enough for the Trumpies/Foxies/Right Wingers to pick up on it.

Comment

• This response yesterday evening was to my will you vote for Trump question. He is a high school classmate of mine - white, college educated, mid 50s, very "christian", upper/middle class, suburban Ohio

Yes, I voted for Trump in 2016...primarily for SCOTUS, but Hillary was not an option either. I did hope he would succeed in improving the economy and bring steel and other heavy paying labor jobs back.

For 2020 it's hard for me not to vote conservative. I don't care for anyone on the D side, however I do think Biden would be pretty impotent so he would be less painful.

I like much of what Trump is working on for the country, but I don't like him. He is labeled some things like racist...Ds call anyone a racist at the drop of a hat. Just because he wants to control the borders and doesn't want the worst South America has to offer doesn't make him a racist. We want to vet those that want to be here, and I'm all for the vast majority being accepted in, just do it the right way. We need the workforce and these are great people coming from the south by and large.

When he says some things I wish I had another conservative choice. Could I vote in another direction, possibly. I would have to see the final D candidate and if there are any other options.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
        This response yesterday evening was to my will you vote for Trump question. He is a high school classmate of mine - white, college educated, mid 50s, very "christian", upper/middle class, suburban Ohio

Yes, I voted for Trump in 2016...primarily for SCOTUS, but Hillary was not an option either. I did hope he would succeed in improving the economy and bring steel and other heavy paying labor jobs back.

For 2020 it's hard for me not to vote conservative. I don't care for anyone on the D side, however I do think Biden would be pretty impotent so he would be less painful.

I like much of what Trump is working on for the country, but I don't like him. He is labeled some things like racist...Ds call anyone a racist at the drop of a hat. Just because he wants to control the borders and doesn't want the worst South America has to offer doesn't make him a racist. We want to vet those that want to be here, and I'm all for the vast majority being accepted in, just do it the right way. We need the workforce and these are great people coming from the south by and large.

When he says some things I wish I had another conservative choice. Could I vote in another direction, possibly. I would have to see the final D candidate and if there are any other options.
        Thank you! So conservatives DO like Biden?! Hahahaha....
        Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• So now Trump is back to praising the NC racists chanting "send her back". How emboldened one must feel to be defending him by attacking the target of the racist chants. Oh wait, not defending it but just pointing out...oh wait not trying to excuse but oh wait... Fucking idiocy.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• so even in a world where one isn't supposed to take the president literally (which I think is absurd), figuratively speaking, what is he saying here???

It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
              what is he saying here???
              He's benevolent!
              "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
              - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
              - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

• Trumps latest defense of the indefensible is

I know you are but what am I?

Calling the squad, very racist.

Fucking douche
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Two Gretna, LA policemen have been fired for a FB posting where one wrote that AOC "deserves a round.....and not the kind she used to serve," while the other liked the post. He then also commented that "she has the IQ of a chiclet." The article in question was titled “Ocasio-Cortez On the Budget: ‘We Pay Soldiers Too Much" -- which, obviously unbeknownst to them, was from a satirical website similar to The Onion.

Now who has the IQ of a chiclet?

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Two Gretna, LA policemen have been fired for a FB posting where one wrote that AOC "deserves a round.....and not the kind she used to serve," while the other liked the post. He then also commented that "she has the IQ of a chiclet." The article in question was titled “Ocasio-Cortez On the Budget: ‘We Pay Soldiers Too Much" -- which, obviously unbeknownst to them, was from a satirical website similar to The Onion.

Now who has the IQ of a chiclet?
                    See how she sows hatred, unbelievable!
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Another day where the President attacks a minority member of congress on Twitter...

Rep, Elijah Cummings has been a brutal bully, shouting and screaming at the great men & women of Border Patrol about conditions at the Southern Border, when actually his Baltimore district is FAR WORSE and more dangerous. His district is considered the Worst in the USA......

As proven last week during a Congressional tour, the Border is clean, efficient & well run, just very crowded. Cumming District is a disgusting, rat and rodent infested mess. If he spent more time in Baltimore, maybe he could help clean up this very dangerous & filthy place

Why is so much money sent to the Elijah Cummings district when it is considered the worst run and most dangerous anywhere in the United States. No human being would want to live there. Where is all this money going? How much is stolen? Investigate this corrupt mess immediately!

From Nate Silver about Cummings district...

Not that it really matters but Cummings' district has above-average college education rates and home prices, along with a pretty good mix of urban and suburban areas (even some rural), and well-off, working-class and middle-class areas. (link: https://www.biggestuscities.com/demo...ional-district) biggestuscities.com/demographics/m…

MD-7 is the 2nd-wealthiest majority-black district in the country ($58K median household income, per my data; MD-4 is first). Also the 2nd-most well-educated majority-black district (37% bachelors' degree+; GA-4 is first).

Comment

• I haven't solved embedding videos into RJ yet, but this is worth the watch and if you don't want to go to youtube here is the twitter version...

Apparently, the President and all his best words is pretty limited to how he describes where black and brown people live.

Comment

• I think focusing on Trump's dog whistle racism is a losing strategy. The word "infestation" is one of the more clever dog whistle comments from Trump, in that it will rile up his supporters who just want to scream and cry about being called racists. It's so simplistic and pathetic, but calling out his racism only helps him rally his base.

YouTube embed instructions:

1 - Click "share" below the YouTube video to copy/paste the link

2 - To embed in RJ post, click the film strip icon, left of the quote key.

3 - Copy/Paste link to YouTube video, click OK.

Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                            I think focusing on Trump's dog whistle racism is a losing strategy. The word "infestation" is one of the more clever dog whistle comments from Trump, in that it will rile up his supporters who just want to scream and cry about being called racists. It's so simplistic and pathetic, but calling out his racism only helps him rally his base.

YouTube embed instructions:

1 - Click "share" below the YouTube video to copy/paste the link

2 - To embed in RJ post, click the film strip icon, left of the quote key.

3 - Copy/Paste link to YouTube video, click OK.

I tried to just paste the embed link i swear and it didn't show up. It works when I embed it on other platforms, I am sure I was just being dumb, thanks.

I guess I am still stuck in a place where I can't believe that the majority of white America is ok with this. I don't know I guess we will know in 2020 because Trump is going to keep doing this and it will get coverage no matter what we think it does.

The Washington Post had this article basically saying go at Trump for being a racist because anyone that would consider supporting him at this point already will no matter what we do...

"The lesson now for Democrats is that they must make this election about the threat of Trumpism, which is racist at its core. That doesn’t mean that policy ideas aren’t important, but first and foremost, it’s about making it clear to voters what the stakes are. No issue — climate, jobs, health coverage — overrides the importance of getting a bigot with authoritarian tendencies out of office. Focusing on look-how-much-I’ve-thought about-this stuff might make for good primary debate theater, but it’s not going to move the needle in 2020.

If beating Trump requires progressive base voters, independents-slash-undecideds and reasonable, moral Republicans reaching agreement on a policy platform that will drive them all to the polls for one specific Democrat, that will be quite a challenge. But crafting a message about the existential threat Trump poses to America’s core values can work. That’s what halted Duke-ism as a political force, and it’s the only path forward today."
                            Last edited by frae; 07-27-2019, 11:03 AM.

Comment

• Embedding video is counter-intuitive because it doesn't want you to copy/paste the actual "embed" code, you need to copy/paste the URL to the video. I used to get tripped up with that constantly.

I think of the candidates that have implemented the Washington Post strategy of focusing on Trump without policy, 3 candidates have followed that path pretty closely: Biden, Beto, & Buttigieg. All 3 have seen major dropoffs. You could point to different issues with each of them, but I think their collective focus on Trump is more to distract from how uninspiring their own policies are. So I disagree with the Amazon-Post assessment that focusing on policies is a losing strategy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                                Embedding video is counter-intuitive because it doesn't want you to copy/paste the actual "embed" code, you need to copy/paste the URL to the video. I used to get tripped up with that constantly.

I think of the candidates that have implemented the Washington Post strategy of focusing on Trump without policy, 3 candidates have followed that path pretty closely: Biden, Beto, & Buttigieg. All 3 have seen major dropoffs. You could point to different issues with each of them, but I think their collective focus on Trump is more to distract from how uninspiring their own policies are. So I disagree with the Amazon-Post assessment that focusing on policies is a losing strategy.
                                Well I won’t disagree that as a primary strategy it might not be best because the Democratic primary voter is much different than the general election voter.

Comment

Working...
                                X