Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can McGahn be jailed for contempt charge? And who oversees that happening?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
      He's been "getting impeached" since he first took office!

By the way, the White House has officially blocked McGahn from testifying tomorrow. There sure is a lot of contempt going on.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/20/polit...ess/index.html
      But that was then and this is now.

Comment

He's been "getting impeached" since he first took office!

By the way, the White House has officially blocked McGahn from testifying tomorrow. There sure is a lot of contempt going on.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/20/polit...ess/index.html
        Miers was found in Contempt of Congress by a vote of 223-32.

Holder was found in Contempt of Congress by a vote of 255-67.

So thank you for proving my point by bringing up two very accurate cases.

Comment

• But, but, both sides, wahhhhhhhhhhh.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Yea we get it, you don't like Trump, but just love to use the "both sides do it" argument to defend pretty much anything he does. Oh right, you're not actually defending him, just exposing our hypocrisy in criticizing him. So nauseating.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
              Yea we get it, you don't like Trump, but just love to use the "both sides do it" argument to defend pretty much anything he does. Oh right, you're not actually defending him, just exposing our hypocrisy in criticizing him. So nauseating.
              Yawn. We agree on something. Just the Nauseating part. I haven’t called anybody a hypocrite but if the foo shits. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
              I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                Miers was found in Contempt of Congress by a vote of 223-32.

Holder was found in Contempt of Congress by a vote of 255-67.

So thank you for proving my point by bringing up two very accurate cases.
                Miers actually agreed to testify to have the charge dropped, but Holder never did in defiance of the contempt charge. Further, both votes were very partisan. The Holder vote resulted in Democrats voting 17 for, 65 against, 1 present, and 108 did not vote. For Miers her vote was also largely partisan, with only 3 Republicans for, 31 against, 1 present, and 163 did not vote.

And, just to be clear, CNN wasn’t referencing Holder in regards to Obama’s blocking of Testimony. They were referencing Obama’s blocking of Assistant Counsel to the President and Director of the Office of Political Strategy and Outreach (“OPSO”) David Simas testifying. Per Letter, “David Simas was legally required to appear to testify at a congressional hearing scheduled for July 16, 2014, in response to a subpoena issued to Mr. Simas by the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform on July 10, 2014. We understand that the Committee seeks testimony about “whether the White House is taking adequate steps to ensure political activity by Administration officials complies with relevant statutes, including the Hatch Act,” and about “the role and function of the White House Office of Political Strategy and Outreach.” Letter for David Simas from the Hon. Darrell Issa, Chairman, Committee on Oversight and Government Reform, House of Representatives (July 3, 2014) (“Invitation Letter”). For the reasons set forth below, we believe that Mr. Simas is immune from compulsion to testify before the Committee on these matters, and therefore is not required to appear to testify in response to this subpoena.”
                Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 05-20-2019, 08:15 PM.
                I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Regardless of what happened in those cases, the downside for McGahn was accurate, and those cases prove that Congress will indeed follow through on the threat. So McGahn will likely face, if Congress follows through, up to a year in prison. Of course, the likelihood is he will never see the inside of a jail cell, but in these highly partisan times, you never know.

Comment

Regardless of what happened in those cases, the downside for McGahn was accurate, and those cases prove that Congress will indeed follow through on the threat. So McGahn will likely face, if Congress follows through, up to a year in prison. Of course, the likelihood is he will never see the inside of a jail cell, but in these highly partisan times, you never know.
                    I agree. The downside could include jail time. But most likely won’t. I think, contrary to a lot of posters here, this is all a show.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/15/polit...ffs/index.html

Attorney General Bill Barr asked House Speaker Nancy Pelosi jokingly if she brought her handcuffs to an event the two public figures were attending on Capitol Hill on Wednesday morning, according to two sources familiar with the exchange, in an apparent reference to the House considering holding the attorney general in contempt.

Barr and Pelosi were attending the National Peace Officers Memorial Day service at the Capitol on Wednesday when the exchange occurred. The two were in a holding tent adjacent to the platform, awaiting the President's arrival.

The quip was an obvious reference to the fact that the House Judiciary Committee has voted to hold Barr in contempt of Congress, the latest volley in a fight between President Donald Trump's administration and House Democrats over oversight.

One source said Pelosi, "not missing a beat, smiled and indicated to the attorney general that the House sergeant-at-arms was present at the ceremony should an arrest be necessary."

Barr, the source said, "chuckled and walked away.”
                    Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 05-20-2019, 09:58 PM.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Ben Carson and the great cookie kerfuffle. Not withstanding Dr. Carson's lack of qualifications to lead HUD, you'd almost think that there are no industry experts that the news media could find to verify that the real estate owned (sometimes referred to as REO) is most commonly and more appropriately known as... wait for it... OREO. This is the GAAP financial services industry acronym for Other Real Estate Owned and it is used by every financial institution in the country including the GSE’s such as Fannie and Freddie. I wonder how many Oreo cookie jokes I have made or have been privy to over the past 40 years of my career? If I had a nickel for every time someone made the inane Oreo cookie joke, I’d have, well, lots of nickels.

Financial institutions are not in the business of owning real estate, contrary to what Lizzy Warren would have the public believe, other than real estate that supports its business model and/or operating platforms. These include corporate headquarters, branches, specialized operations, Data or business centers, etc. When a bank forecloses on a property, it becomes what’s known as a non earning asset. The banks buys money at a certain price (deposits) and invests at a higher (at least in theory) in investment or loans. In the case of OREO, when a court awards a deed or title to the Bank after a long protracted foreclosure (during which the borrower isn’t making any payments much less interest payments) or after the owner simply gives the real property back to the lender in avoidance of foreclosure (often referred to as a Strategic Walk Away, which happen a lot in the late recession years!), it becomes an asset that isn’t earning a return on the original investment. A bank can’t have many of those before it finds itself in trouble and people don’t usually lose houses with lots of equity. The Bank rarely makes money in the resale at some point in the future. Instead of real estate that is owned for a specific business purpose, it is other real estate owned. OREO.

I guess when you want to spin a story to a group of people not familiar with inside industry lingo, it’s a cute story. But it’s pretty disingenuous.
                      Last edited by Bernie Brewer; 05-22-2019, 07:17 AM.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• That's interesting, but he also didn't know what the term was short for, and quite frankly, it certainly looked like he had never heard of it before.

Comment

That's interesting, but he also didn't know what the term was short for, and quite frankly, it certainly looked like he had never heard of it before.
                          I agree that he’s way over his head as HUD Sec. but it’s also the media made a big deal about this when I think it wasn’t a big deal at all. And Rep Porter and Lizzy Warren knew or should know that.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

I agree that he’s way over his head as HUD Sec. but it’s also the media made a big deal about this when I think it wasn’t a big deal at all. And Rep Porter and Lizzy Warren knew or should know that.
                            Well, I guess that's where we differ. If you agree that he's in way over his head, then why does he have the job? Because he was an early supporter of Trump, and that's all that matters to him. The media brings up these little episodes to remind us all how incompetent some of these political hacks are and how partisan the Trump administration really is. Every president dating back to Ford took a bipartisan approach to their cabinet to find the best people. But not Trump. Instead, he just lies about it to his base, because lies seem to work really well on them.

Comment

Well, I guess that's where we differ. If you agree that he's in way over his head, then why does he have the job? Because he was an early supporter of Trump, and that's all that matters to him. The media brings up these little episodes to remind us all how incompetent some of these political hacks are and how partisan the Trump administration really is. Every president dating back to Ford took a bipartisan approach to their cabinet to find the best people. But not Trump. Instead, he just lies about it to his base, because lies seem to work really well on them.
                              Like both sides don't lie Revo, take off the blinders!
                              - Terence McKenna

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                                Like both sides don't lie Revo, take off the blinders!
                                Rimshot to DMT. At least you are consistent. Great and insightful come back, as always. Mr. Johnny on the spot! Whoohoo.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Working...
                                X