This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
    This is the key number folks - all of the partisan polling is bullshit. This certainly would indicate that Trump is pushing the right buttons for many folks.
    While I won't argue the number, that just indicates that the good ol' USA is populated by a bunch of morons.
    Last edited by Mithrandir; 02-06-2019, 01:04 PM.
    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
      While I won't argue the number, that just indicates the the good ol' USA is populated by a bunch of morons.
      I would never dispute that point, but the people who watched are a totally skewed sample. The only one of my friends who watched is Republican. Why would anyone else watch him spew a bunch of bullshit? Trump actually said if not for him we'd be in a major war right now with North Korea. It's so laughably stupid.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
        Riiight. The number of actual independents is 6-7%. Most "independents" clearly favor one of the two major parties. But keep inflating your 'independent' egos.
        To this point - I don't recall the precise numbers so don't quote me, but when people are asked which party they favor there's a significant number of independents - 15-20% ish if I recall correctly.

But if the question is worded in the reverse - is there a party that you couldn't see yourself voting for - the number of independents drops to something like 3-4%.

I'll try to dig up that article (from about a year ago).
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
          To this point - I don't recall the precise numbers so don't quote me, but when people are asked which party they favor there's a significant number of independents - 15-20% ish if I recall correctly.

But if the question is worded in the reverse - is there a party that you couldn't see yourself voting for - the number of independents drops to something like 3-4%.

Yea, pretty sure I read it but would like to have it handy again for reference, thanks!
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post

Well there are more than 2 parties - and Im sure Independents likely have parties on the fringes that they would exclude. It doesnt mean - I wont vote Republican or I wont vote Democrat. So rephrasing the question doesnt necessarily mean that they exclude the two majors from their options.
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• People who like Trump thought the speech was great.
              People who hate Trump thought it was terrible.
              Color me surprised.

Comment

• Startling figure from the most recent CNN/SSRS poll: 67% of women voters, regardless of party, are unlikely to vote for Trump in '20.

Comment

• I agree with the 6-7 percent of voters being actual independents; some research from a few years back on that was pretty compelling.

many of the rest think the Ds aren't left enough or the Rs aren't right enough. others either never would vote for one particular party, or never would vote for either major party. I think what's more relevant is those who are open to voting for either the D or R candidate in any given election. that number really seems to be dwindling.
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• so dumb and tone-deaf that he doesn't know when he is being openly mocked....

"You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      Riiight. The number of actual independents is 6-7%. Most "independents" clearly favor one of the two major parties. But keep inflating your 'independent' egos.
                      Do you have any studies to back that up? I can believe it about politically active people. Not so much those who decide at the last minute.

As was noted, polling was very favorable. Even CNN was favorable.

J
                      Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                        so dumb and tone-deaf that he doesn't know when he is being openly mocked....

"I learned long ago never to wrestle with a pig. You both get muddy all over . . . and the pig likes it."

a 78-year-old Speaker of the House clapping like a cross between a harp seal and a sullen teenage girl - well, the quote above speaks for itself.
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                          Do you have any studies to back that up? I can believe it about politically active people. Not so much those who decide at the last minute.

As was noted, polling was very favorable. Even CNN was favorable.

J
                          It's possible to say that you thought Trump gave a decent or even a good speech, but you'd still never vote for him because of his personal and political track record, or even that you can't envision ever voting for a Republican because of the GOP's track record. (I personally haven't seen or read the SOTU yet. Maybe I'll read it after the NBA trade deadline has passed, lol.)

Comment

• It should be noted regarding the SOTU speech polling, it was taken of people who actually watched it. It's like saying Trump voters like Trump. I myself was watching my current TV guilty pleasure, "Forged in Fire".

Comment

• Originally posted by Igor View Post
                              It should be noted regarding the SOTU speech polling, it was taken of people who actually watched it. It's like saying Trump voters like Trump. I myself was watching my current TV guilty pleasure, "Forged in Fire".
                              Isn’t that true of any SOTU? Obama’s speeches were watched by Obama supporters who liked Obama’s speech and touted his speeches favorable polling. Same situation here.
                              The takeaway for me was the increased viewership (up 10% over last year) which is unusual, but likely explained by intrigue of the shutdown.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
                                Isn’t that true of any SOTU? Obama’s speeches were watched by Obama supporters who liked Obama’s speech and touted his speeches favorable polling. Same situation here.
                                The takeaway for me was the increased viewership (up 10% over last year) which is unusual, but likely explained by intrigue of the shutdown.
                                Fair point, though I rarely have actually watched them regardless of who is in office. I just wait till the next day and look for serious policy proposals ( ones where there is an actually plan or on it's way instead of applause lines ), foreign policy statements ( Bush 02 - Post 9/11, Axis of evil was one I watched) and yes, any interesting notable click news related to it ( Obama saying Citizens United "will open the floodgates for special interests – including foreign corporations – to spend without limit in our elections." and Alito mouthing 'not true').

I find the constant ovations to be intolerable, even if its things I agree with. I reminds me of the stories of who would stop clapping for Stalin first. Get on with it or submit in writing.
                                Last edited by Igor; 02-08-2019, 11:20 AM. Reason: added content

Comment

Working...
                                X